• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:40 PM

DL Austin Fontaine has entered the transfer portal.

Another guy, you got 5 years out of him.  All the best.  
Still think they never should have moved him from DL.  

#22 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2022 - 01:45 PM

DL Tyler Baylor has entered the transfer portal.
@BSLZackKiesel

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:43 PM

DB Shane Mosley has entered the transfer portal.
@BSLZackKiesel

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:32 PM

Wasn’t there a bit of a defensive exodus last year too? What the hell?

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:55 PM

Wasn’t there a bit of a defensive exodus last year too? What the hell?

Aside from McCullough, none of these guys were set to make much of an impact next year.

But overall, this is the new normal in college football. People lost their minds when Demeioun Robinson, Terrence Lewis, and Branden Jennings transferred last year but the defense actually improved a good bit.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:26 PM

Fair enough, good point.

#27 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 07:53 AM

Yeah, this just is what it is at this point.  The portal giveth, and the portal taketh away.  It's why I said in the other thread that some of the fun of looking forward to next year has really been lost, because you have no idea what next year's team would look like.

Losing quality players to PSU for 2 consecutive years would sting though.

#28 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:26 PM

Aside from McCullough, none of these guys were set to make much of an impact next year.

But overall, this is the new normal in college football. People lost their minds when Demeioun Robinson, Terrence Lewis, and Branden Jennings transferred last year but the defense actually improved a good bit.

Speaking of Lewis, he’s in the portal again after spending a year at UCF where he saw the field in just one game. In May, he was accused of striking a woman in the face in Miami.
@BSLZackKiesel

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, this just is what it is at this point.  The portal giveth, and the portal taketh away.  It's why I said in the other thread that some of the fun of looking forward to next year has really been lost, because you have no idea what next year's team would look like.

Losing quality players to PSU for 2 consecutive years would sting though.

Because of the numbers I think they will have to be much more active on the "giveth" side this offseason. They didn't lose many guys last year to expired eligibility, but were something like -20 net in the portal. They'll probably lose more eligibility guys this time around, and so far it looks like there will be about the same number of outgoing players in the portal.

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:27 PM

Last thing Ill say as to not beat a dead horse.The amount of roster turnover year to year is just not cool. Not sure if this happens as much at the bigger programs  but IMO the NCAA has to find a way to rectify it.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:40 PM

Last thing Ill say as to not beat a dead horse.The amount of roster turnover year to year is just not cool. Not sure if this happens as much at the bigger programs  but IMO the NCAA has to find a way to rectify it.

Without looking, just anecdotally, I'd say outgoing is similar pretty much everywhere; even when you don't have a coaching change involved. Incoming depends on several factors, not the least of which is the university itself and how difficult it is to transfer in. I know for places like Stanford and UNC, they have a tough time in the portal because it's a lot harder to get admitted as a transfer at those schools.

The annual free agency (and that's really what this is when you factor in NIL) isn't always great from a fan standpoint. But honestly, I hated how the NCAA legislated for so long that a player who wanted to transfer (something many students do with regularity) had to give up a year of eligibility to do so. And now that players can earn money while in school, I'm willing to live with this as the alternative.

Also, I think this will eventually self-correct to a degree, and we won't see as much movement in the future. Especially all these marginal players who leave and find there is no scholarship waiting for them elsewhere.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:42 PM

Speaking for myself on Robinson / Lewis / Jennings...    my concern in losing them was never about not being able to replace them and stay approximately where you were...  it was losing that perceived high ceiling talent, when trying to close the gap on the rest of the East. 

But as you point out with at-least Lewis, there were red flags as well beyond the talent. 

Sometimes you are better off with 'less' talent, and everyone rowing the boat in the same way (thx PJ Fleck). 

Im a bit down about CJ Dippre.... but we're all going to have to get used to this. 

You lose guys, go find others who want to be there. 

(But also address the NIL so guys that would want to stay, aren't lured elsewhere.)

#33 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:47 PM

I think USC being one win away from making the playoff when their QB1 was at OU and WR1 was at Pitt last year has been one of the more interesting storylines of the season. I don't think it's a huge deal in a sport where the best players are only there for three years anyways.  

she/her

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:59 PM

And for those who don't follow college sports off the field, and don't think these changes are right, lately the federal courts have disagreed with that opinion. That's really the impetus behind all this change, not some random feelings of player-benevolence on the NCAA's part.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#35 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:50 PM

And for those who don't follow college sports off the field, and don't think these changes are right, lately the federal courts have disagreed with that opinion. That's really the impetus behind all this change, not some random feelings of player-benevolence on the NCAA's part.

For me personally, I’d much rather have this sort of roster turnover if it means the student-athletes aren’t treated like pawns anymore by the NCAA. They had a chance to regulate this in a better way and refused, so now they get open season and free agency.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:53 PM

I think it’s also important for people to remember that, so far, only two impact players have entered the portal for Maryland. And Dippre’s transfer shouldn’t really surprise anyone given that his position coach (who also recruited him) left to take another job.
@BSLZackKiesel

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:01 PM

For me personally, I’d much rather have this sort of roster turnover if it means the student-athletes aren’t treated like pawns anymore by the NCAA. They had a chance to regulate this in a better way and refused, so now they get open season and free agency.

It's like pro sports now, only players are free agents after every season. And it doesn't have to be a net loss for your team. Jordan's mention of USC being the perfect example.

I do think that this means all schools (and I hope MD has or will do this) need to expand their staff to have guys whose job it is to evaluate players throughout college so they already know who these guys in the portal are and whether they are a good fit you should try to recruit. Staffs grew previously where you had people whose job was strictly evaluating players at the HS level, even though they were not allowed to directly recruit kids. Now you need those guys that do that for the college level.

It's crazy, but just look at the team photo for Florida this season. There are literally as many people in polo shirts (i.e. all the program's various coaching and staff positions) as there are players in uniform.

Screen-Shot-2022-08-24-at-9.58.56-AM.jpg

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:04 PM

I mean. College football has a ton of players. And there has always been turnover. It’s just turned up a notch now. It’s all about just following the QBs and star skill position players.

If you’re upset that 5 defensive starters on Iowa State are leaving I’ll call you a big fat liar.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#39 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2022 - 10:21 AM

The transfer portal window officially opens today, and Maryland's coaching staff is on the road along the east coast and midwest putting in work.

@BSLZackKiesel

#40 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2022 - 11:31 AM

Maryland has extended an offer to former Alabama DB Khyree Jackson. He’s a Wise HS product, and was a key special teams contributor for the Crimson Tide over the last two years while providing depth at cornerback.
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=