Photo

BSL: Lamar Jackson. Step Up, or Step Out.

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#321 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:41 AM

I do think the Roman system has a shelf life. Especially now that Chicago and Philly are doing similar concepts with dual threat QBs, defenses around the league are better prepared. It also doesn't help that several major sports commentators have gone on Twitter to express in great detail how awful the passing concepts are in the Ravens' offense.

Are we really holding Chicigo and their offense up as something to aim for

#322 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:43 AM

I do think the Roman system has a shelf life. Especially now that Chicago and Philly are doing similar concepts with dual threat QBs, defenses around the league are better prepared. It also doesn't help that several major sports commentators have gone on Twitter to express in great detail how awful the passing concepts are in the Ravens' offense.

I dropped three snapshots from the "Reverse WR Pass INT" at the end of the Denver game thread this morning.  When you really look at what all the receiving options did on that play, vs the coverage that Denver was running, it's comically inept.

#323 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:51 AM

Are we really holding Chicigo and their offense up as something to aim for

No but since they're running similar concepts, it means more defenses are studying and preparing for it because there's more of it on film.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#324 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:58 AM

There is no FA circuit if he gets the exclusive tag.

At this point, I'm thinking maybe the non-exclusive tag could be the way to go. Let him talk with other teams and see if they're willing to give him the contract he wants. If the Ravens choose not to match, they get two first-round draft picks; if they do opt to match the offer, then at least they can say that they weren't the ones setting the precedent. 

#325 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,367 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:03 AM

At this point, I'm thinking maybe the non-exclusive tag could be the way to go. Let him talk with other teams and see if they're willing to give him the contract he wants. If the Ravens choose not to match, they get two first-round draft picks; if they do opt to match the offer, then at least they can say that they weren't the ones setting the precedent. 

I think we could do a good bit better than two #1s if we want to trade him.

#326 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:11 AM

I think we could do a good bit better than two #1s if we want to trade him.

I'm not so sure. If Jackson holds firm in his contract demand, that's going to diminish the potential number of suitors. My short list of possible destinations would be Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Indy and possibly Detroit if they feel they can only go so far with Jared Goff. But that's without checking any of their particulars, namely cap situation and how the rest of their rosters are currently constructed.

Houston certainly needs a quarterback, but they're virtually a lock for the No. 1 pick and would therefore have the luxury of a young, but unproven QB on a rookie deal.

Granted, there may be others, but these teams are just ones I'm citing off the top of my head.

#327 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:16 AM

I'm not so sure. If Jackson holds firm in his contract demand, that's going to diminish the potential number of suitors. My short list of possible destinations would be Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Indy and possibly Detroit if they feel they can only go so far with Jared Goff. But that's without checking any of their particulars, namely cap situation and how the rest of their rosters are currently constructed.

Houston certainly needs a quarterback, but they're virtually a lock for the No. 1 pick and would therefore have the luxury of a young, but unproven QB on a rookie deal.

Granted, there may be others, but these teams are just ones I'm citing off the top of my head.

Watson only had a few suitors.

#328 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:20 AM

Watson only had a few suitors.

And it was his good fortune that one of them was the Browns.

#329 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,367 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:22 AM

Who would the likely buyers be if we're gonna trade Lamar?

Texans (Browns) and Lions (Denver) each have two picks in the first and a bunch of cap space available.  Jets and Panthers would also seem to be interested but they've only got one 1st and not a ton of cap space.  Colts would make sense, only have their pick but lots of cap space.

Watson trade was for 3 firsts (current and next two years), a 3rd, and a 4th two years in the future.

Wilson trade was for 2 firsts (current and next year) and two 2nds (current and next year), and a 5th.

If you hit him with the non-exclusive tag for something like $32M you get 2 firsts (current and next year) if he signs elsewhere.

Seems relevant from a few days ago.

Atlanta is a good idea as well, they make a lot of sense.  Tons of cap space. 

Carolina has two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders.

Saints are in cap hell, don't think they could do it but haven't looked at what they can do to get under the cap.

#330 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,367 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:23 AM

I definitely think if they decide to trade him that the Ravens will do better than the two #1s from the tag.

#331 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:28 AM

I could get behind the haul that Jacksom could bring in and using a relatively small portion of that to get Rodgers for a few years while also drafting a guy to be the future. Now is the time to do that with Rodgers. Not 2 or 3 years ago when GB drafted Love. 

#332 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:39 AM

I definitely think if they decide to trade him that the Ravens will do better than the two #1s from the tag.

I agree. You only need a couple teams bidding to get past there. All the teams you mentioned should have interest. 

And even if his demands drive away suitors, my assumption is that the Ravens would still like him back at their price, which if we believe the rumors was I think something above Kyler without being fully guaranteed. If he sees the market is not supporting fully guaranteed then maybe he accepts the Ravens deal. If the market is supporting fully guaranteed then I think they should be able to do better than two firsts because there will be multiple bids. If he drops the fully guaranteed demand and the Ravens still don't want him, they should certainly do better than two firsts.

#333 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:40 AM

I could get behind the haul that Jacksom could bring in and using a relatively small portion of that to get Rodgers for a few years while also drafting a guy to be the future. Now is the time to do that with Rodgers. Not 2 or 3 years ago when GB drafted Love. 

I can't imagine the complaining from Rodgers about whatever receiver room the Ravens would give him.

• russsnyder likes this

#334 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:50 AM

But it would have to be a sign-and-trade type of deal. The signing part has been the problem all along.

#335 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:53 AM

How about getting Love for peanuts, while he's still on his rookie deal, and has a couple years of pro experience behind him?

#336 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:00 PM

Let's say Roman doesn't wind up at Stanford and doesn't get fired at the end of the year.  If he's back for 2023, do you guys think that plays into whether they ultimately trade Lamar or go all out to sign him?  If Roman's gone, is the impetus there to start over with a brand new OC and an entirely different offense, thus making a Lamar trade more logical?  

#337 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:03 PM

I can't imagine the complaining from Rodgers about whatever receiver room the Ravens would give him.

Theyd have to makeover the playmakers in the offseason a bit. That said, is Andrews, Duvernay, and a healthy Bateman that bad of a start. 

Look, its a bit of a pipedream but a good thought exercise should we get serious about trading Lamar.

#338 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:04 PM

How about getting Love for peanuts, while he's still on his rookie deal, and has a couple years of pro experience behind him?

GB has to commit to him the next few years. I mean they dont have to but clearly they should

#339 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:20 PM

Let's say Roman doesn't wind up at Stanford and doesn't get fired at the end of the year.  If he's back for 2023, do you guys think that plays into whether they ultimately trade Lamar or go all out to sign him?  If Roman's gone, is the impetus there to start over with a brand new OC and an entirely different offense, thus making a Lamar trade more logical?  

I think I'm alone on this but if the team is going to commit to Lamar, I'd like Roman to stay. 

#340 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:22 PM

I think I'm alone on this but if the team is going to commit to Lamar, I'd like Roman to stay. 

Ive been in this camp for a long time. I think its time to try something different at OC and as someone said recently, hope that the new OC can carry over some of ROman's better running schemes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=