858 replies to this topic

#841 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:43 AM

Just watched the last drive again because I enjoy pain but can anyone justify Harbaugh not calling a timeout prior to the play where Jacksonville's TD was scored? The defense barely got set, there was no pass rush and Lawrence was able to deliver the throw cleanly. With 3 timeouts left and only around 15 seconds left, why not use a TO there and substitute/allow the defense to get set?

At that point, you have to assume every throw is going to the end zone, so you'd need a max of 3 stops. Also, if you sack Lawrence, the game is over. I can't wrap head around not calling timeout there. Even if the worst case scenario occurs(which it did), you only need 1 time out offensively, as you will only have time for 1 play.

Or maybe call a TO when you look out to see 3 of 4 Jax receivers staring at a 7 to 10 yard cushion on 4th and 5 and the ability to end the game right there with one more play.

Harbs is a spectator. Nothing more.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#842 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,443 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:25 AM

Has anyone ever said that Harbaugh was actually a good coach? He does everything right Monday through Saturday. On Sunday he's nothing special. He's not an offensive or defensive guy and I've never heard a team rave about a special team's coach.

#843 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:26 AM

Harbs is a spectator. Nothing more.

Im not, nor I have ever been one of his fans, and I feel the same about his brother.

He is a decent tier 2 coach that can win with talent.

He finds himself outcoached quite a bit, and for me, its like chess, he isnt thinking ahead and plotting out his options.

He isnt one to go into the lockerroom behind, and give them an inspiring speech and let them rally up for the 2nd half.

#844 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:27 AM

Has anyone ever said that Harbaugh was actually a good coach? He does everything right Monday through Saturday. On Sunday he's nothing special. He's not an offensive or defensive guy and I've never heard a team rave about a special team's coach.

Ive been taking to the wood shed whenever I was critical of Harbs, and not too much in the past 2 seasons, and to be fair, alot of that was on OH, where his poop doesnt stink.

#845 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:41 AM

Has anyone ever said that Harbaugh was actually a good coach? 

Several people here sing his praises constantly

• Old Man likes this

#846 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:41 AM

Ive been taking to the wood shed whenever I was critical of Harbs, and not too much in the past 2 seasons, and to be fair, alot of that was on OH, where his poop doesnt stink.

Same here. 

• Old Man likes this

#847 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,443 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:45 AM

He isnt one to go into the lockerroom behind, and give them an inspiring speech and let them rally up for the 2nd half.

I think this is the only thing he's good at. He's all about the rah rah stuff.

The last thing he's going to do is go into the locker room and actually make adjustments as to how the team is performing.
  • bmore_ken and Old Man like this

#848 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:29 AM

I think this is a consistent assessment of Harbaugh by most.  Terrific at preparation but he doesn't add a ton (if anything) on gamedays. 

I think he makes a positive overall impact with his gameday decision-making (4th downs, 2pts, etc) though there are many others that disagree overall and certainly some of those decisions I disagree with.  I think he's average when it comes to clock management, timeouts and challenges, not one of the best out there but not one of the worst either.  I think the Ravens are probably a little above average at making halftime adjustments, I can think of more bad first halves followed by good second halves than the other way around.

#849 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:10 AM

A lot of people have said that he's a good coach. I mean, that's how you get good on Sunday, is being prepared properly Monday through Saturday. He has amassed quite a few wins, and he's borderline going in the HOF. Needs a few more years of winning, or a second Lombardi would about cement it.

I'm also indifferent if he stays or goes. I'd rather it be Roman the one who goes and lets get a year of Lamar with a different voice in his head.

When you hear clips of Harbs mic'd up in game though I don't know what he does on Sundays that I couldn't do. Argue with the ref. Watch the game as a spectator. Hug my guys when they do something right. Ask others if we should do something else. Ask for a timeout, or not. 

I don't think a head coach has to have an NFL offensive or defensive coordinator background, or has to be the play caller like Andy Reid in order to be successful. But they have to have a feel for the game. They have to be able to understand what the offensive and defensive coordinators are trying to do so they can tell their subordinates what changes he, the head coach, wants to see. He should be able to tell them what he wants, but he's too passive and asks "what do you think we should do?" A lot. It's great for your everyday office manager to empower your employees in that fashion, make them feel important. Not on a football field where decisions are made in matters of seconds. Make them feel important Monday through Saturday. It should be a leave your feelings at the door situation when you walk into a stadium on gameday. Drop the formalities and do what it takes to win. If that means telling Roman or MacDonald you don't want to see something, or you want to see more of something else, then be the boss and do it. Apologize later. 

But he is rather indecisive and that's not a good look on a coach, boss, CEO, whatever. 

• bmore_ken and makoman like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#850 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:11 AM

Harbs would just hire another loyalist or family favorite if he did move on from Roman.

#851 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:26 PM

Whether it's coaching, scheme or player performance, it's clear there's just something lacking with this team right now. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's just something missing.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#852 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:14 PM

Harbs would just hire another loyalist or family favorite if he did move on from Roman.

You may not be wrong, but at that point it would be a failure on EDC or Bisciotti's level for allowing it. Back when Kubiak was hired, he was not Harbaughs choice and the brass above basically told him deal with it. Kubiak got the most out of nothing much in his one year here. Justin Forsett 6.0 YPC I think?

@BSLMikeRandall

#853 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:31 PM

Denver talking Kubiak in to coming back was maybe the worst thing to happen to the Ravens between about 2014 and 2018.

#854 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:57 PM

Denver talking Kubiak in to coming back was maybe the worst thing to happen to the Ravens between about 2014 and 2018.

If you're talking about after Ray Rice...then yeah.

#855 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 November 2022 - 04:50 PM

Heyyyyy. How you guys doing? You ok?

I was scared to come on the board at all for a while yesterday after the ending of that game. Was utterly shocked they pulled that off, and actually a little surprised Tuck didn't hit that 67 yarder to win it, but only cause you kinda get used to him pulling off superhuman stuff to win games. When he didn't I was like well, man, that's surprising...but it shouldn't be. A couple years ago we would have said 67 yards just isn't physically possible. I read the other day he got one through at 85 yards in practice the other day, but that was off a tee too.

Just a bad beat there. Crazy time for Lawrence to start looking like an NFL QB.

Feel for you all.

@JeremyMStrain

#856 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,443 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 12:17 PM

Heyyyyy. How you guys doing? You ok?

I was scared to come on the board at all for a while yesterday after the ending of that game. Was utterly shocked they pulled that off, and actually a little surprised Tuck didn't hit that 67 yarder to win it, but only cause you kinda get used to him pulling off superhuman stuff to win games. When he didn't I was like well, man, that's surprising...but it shouldn't be. A couple years ago we would have said 67 yards just isn't physically possible. I read the other day he got one through at 85 yards in practice the other day, but that was off a tee too.

Just a bad beat there. Crazy time for Lawrence to start looking like an NFL QB.

Feel for you all.

We were too busy admiring that amazing Sean Taylor statue.

#857 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:32 PM

We were too busy admiring that amazing Sean Taylor statue.

Ha. You mean the portable NIKE outlet store display case?

• BaltBird 24 and mdrunning like this
@JeremyMStrain

#858 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 02:04 AM

Ha. You mean the portable NIKE outlet store display case?

I don't know art, but that resembled something that could have been slapped together in a single art class. If you're going to honor the guy, fine, but at least make it look like some time and thought went into it.

#859 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:35 AM

I don't know art, but that resembled something that could have been slapped together in a single art class. If you're going to honor the guy, fine, but at least make it look like some time and thought went into it.

Yeah it was so ridiculous. So on brand for Danny though. Make a huge deal about something so it seems like you really care, and then let the actual execution of it be so half assed and pathetic that it shows how much you really care. Much like our stadium and team itself.

Pretty sure my shadow box on the wall of his pro bowl jersey is nicer than what they did. My first reaction was I can't wait til we get to see next season and it's got the latest sale items in it. :/

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=