Photo

2023 MLB General Talk (Texas Wins World Series)

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#121 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:24 AM

CBS Sports: MLB Power Rankings: Astros shake off World Series hangover as AL West heats up

https://www.cbssport...-west-heats-up/

#122 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:37 AM

ESPN: Memorial Day MLB standings check: Surprises, disappointments

https://www.espn.com...pointments-2023

#123 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:38 PM

CBS Sports: MLB trade candidates: 20 players who could move by deadline, including Shohei Ohtani and White Sox stars

https://www.cbssport...hite-sox-stars/

#124 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 08:48 AM

ESPN: MLB Power Rankings: Where every team stands entering June

https://www.espn.com...s-rangers-top-3

#125 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 05:46 PM

The Rays take 3 of 4 in Fenway this (long weekend), and the baseball world awaits the other shoe to drop re: Aaron Judge's big toe. 

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 08:45 AM

ESPN: Power Rankings

https://www.espn.com...gs-rays-rangers

#127 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 06:50 PM

David Freese, 2011 NLCS & WS MVP hero for the St Louis Cardinals, has just declined an invitation to the St Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame.

I get that he feels a massive wave of imposter syndrome (his best career comp is Aaron Boone) to be compared amongst the Mount Rushmore of Cardinals greats over the past 125 or so years, but I can't help but think he's overthinking this. 

It's about celebrating a particular season. Without his heroics, they don't win that WS. If the Cardinals see to it that is enough to dole out the invite, then why turn it down? 

#128 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 05:37 AM

He had a great 2011 post season and a very good 2012 season. Aside from that, his Cardinal career was nothing special.

It'd be like inducting Aubrey Huff into the O's HOF had one of his Oriole teams gone on a magical run.

#129 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 June 2023 - 12:06 PM

He had a great 2011 post season and a very good 2012 season. Aside from that, his Cardinal career was nothing special.

It'd be like inducting Aubrey Huff into the O's HOF had one of his Oriole teams gone on a magical run.

Real bad example. I wouldn’t put Aubrey Huff in the Os HOF if he had a Boog Powell type career for us.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#130 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 03:10 PM

Real bad example. I wouldn’t put Aubrey Huff in the Os HOF if he had a Boog Powell type career for us.

Fair enough. Steve Pearce.

#131 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 05:57 PM

Excellent comparison.

Huff has a career WAR of 20 and Freese has a career war of 18.7. Pretty similar careers. It's a bit of a shame that Freese doesn't feel deserving. IMO, He's still punishing himself for his off field incidents involving alcohol and run ins with law enforcement. Hopefully, He'll accept the honor in the future.
  • CantonJester likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#132 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 06:41 PM

It's not about celebrating his career as a Cardinal. It's about celebrating his NLCS MVP and his WS MVP in the 2011 Cardinals championship season. There's a human interest element to this. A better example would've been if Dan Ford had won the ALCS MVP and WS MVP for the 1983 Orioles. And even then, Ford would have to turn down the nomination. 

Excellent comparison.

Huff has a career WAR of 20 and Freese has a career war of 18.7. Pretty similar careers. It's a bit of a shame that Freese doesn't feel deserving. IMO, He's still punishing himself for his off field incidents involving alcohol and run ins with law enforcement. Hopefully, He'll accept the honor in the future.

I think it might have to do with him fearing being celebrated would lead to a lapse in his sobriety. Really unfortunate. 

• russsnyder likes this

#133 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 07:32 PM

It's not about celebrating his career as a Cardinal. It's about celebrating his NLCS MVP and his WS MVP in the 2011 Cardinals championship season. There's a human interest element to this. A better example would've been if Dan Ford had won the ALCS MVP and WS MVP for the 1983 Orioles. And even then, Ford would have to turn down the nomination.

I think it might have to do with him fearing being celebrated would lead to a lapse in his sobriety. Really unfortunate.

I didn't think about it in that manner.

But, you make an excellent point.

Whatever the actual reason, it is unfortunate.
  • CantonJester likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#134 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,327 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:04 PM

Does anyone know how to drill down on minor league statistics once a player has been promoted to the big leagues? 

Henry Davis as an example - on Fangraphs, bbref, milb.com, etc. it's only showing overview of minor league stats now, and you can only drill down on their major league stats. 

For Davis in particular, I'm trying to look at his minor league platoon splits. I'm sure the answer is obvious, and I'll feel dumb, but please help.

#135 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:27 PM

For BB-ref, click on the 'Amateur, College, Minor & Fall Lg Stats' tab or the 'Minors Gamelogs & Splits' tab.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#136 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,327 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:34 PM

Thanks Mack. Appreciate it.

#137 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,327 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2023 - 08:50 PM

Cleveland was down 6-4 heading into the bottom of the 7th. Josh Naylor hit a solo homer in the 7th to make it 6-5.

In the bottom of the 8th, Bo Naylor sparked a rally with his first career big league hit, and later scored the go ahead run. Watching Josh cheer him on as he got his first hit was everything.

#138 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:55 PM

ESPN: Power Rankings

https://www.espn.com...ndbacks-dodgers

#139 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:33 AM

FanGraphs: We’re in for One Heck of a Second Half

#140 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 07:12 PM

Adley not starting the ASG is laughable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=