2551 replies to this topic

#81 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,936 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 08:51 AM

Im tired of the negativity around here. Elias reiterated the other day that he plans to be very active this offseason. Talked about how it was exciting to talk to agents and how things will be different than years past.

He layed out exactly what he is looking for too. A SP to slot into the top 3 spots of the rotation and a few postion players to help the lineup.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#82 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 09:27 AM

https://www.mlbtrade...ns-2022-23.html

MLBTRs top 50 with 4 writers making predictions.

Couple guys predicted Taillon to the O's. One guy predicted Walker. One guy Manaea.

One guy predicted JD Martinez.

Trey Mancini was in the honorable mention, outside the top-50.

These predictions are more based on each individual and not necessarily considering that if a team signs Guy A then they won't likely sign Guy B. Just for fun.

I really hope that whatever guy(s) they sign are true upgrades. It will be much easier to find them in the pitching department than in the lineup.

For the first time in a long time, I think you can project the offense to be noticeably stronger this season just based on the expected growth and progression of guys like Adley, Gunnar, and Stowers, to say nothing of improvements that come with the eventual promotion of Westburg, Cowser, and maybe Norby (amongst others). Any bat they sign would have to truly be at a position that doesn't project to have a league average to above average hitter at some point in 2023.

SS would make sense. 1B or DH potentially makes sense depending on how they feel about Mountcastle.

Taillon, Walker, and Manaea are all "fine." They need 2 starters, at minimum, and I really feel like one needs to come through trade. They have put themselves in the enviable position of having more projectable young players who deserve to be in the big leagues than they have roster space for. Prospects are just another form of currency, and can/should be used to bring back talent that they can't sign. If they don't do that this year, they simply aren't trying that hard.

Lopez/Burnes/Woodruff/Bieber/Marquez/whoever else needs to be the highest priority.

#83 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 10:28 AM

I can't get the way that Elias talked about Trea Turner in one random radio interview I heard over the summer out of my head. I'm almost assuredly putting significantly more emphasis on it than it deserves, but it stood out to me. The subject was Rutschman and Elias mentioned how Adley was the best draft profile especially for intangible stuff like leadership, he'd ever scouted. And then unprompted, added "except for maybe Trea Turner".

I'm not expecting anything big, but if something big happens, I think Turner is the guy and not Correa.
  • Hooded Viper, BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#84 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 10:36 AM

I can't get the way that Elias talked about Trea Turner in one random radio interview I heard over the summer out of my head. I'm almost assuredly putting significantly more emphasis on it than it deserves, but it stood out to me. The subject was Rutschman and Elias mentioned how Adley was the best draft profile especially for intangible stuff like leadership, he'd ever scouted. And then unprompted, added "except for maybe Trea Turner".

I'm not expecting anything big, but if something big happens, I think Turner is the guy and not Correa.

I think Turner would be a better addition.

With that said, all signs for Trea are pointing to Philly, and tweets out that Trea wants to be in Philly, if these are true, then mark him off the list.

#85 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 10:43 AM

I think Turner would be a better addition.

With that said, all signs for Trea are pointing to Philly, and tweets out that Trea wants to be in Philly, if these are true, then mark him off the list.

I think Trea wants to be where the money is, and the O's will not outspend Philly.
  • Old Man likes this

#86 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:20 AM

Im tired of the negativity around here. Elias reiterated the other day that he plans to be very active this offseason. Talked about how it was exciting to talk to agents and how things will be different than years past.

He layed out exactly what he is looking for too. A SP to slot into the top 3 spots of the rotation and a few postion players to help the lineup.

Sorry, some of us have lost some hope in Elias. His comments and actions during the season, when the team was coming around and playing good ball, was not a good signal to send to the fanbase. IMO.

Talk is very very cheap.

• bmore_ken likes this

#87 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,936 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:23 AM

Sorry, some of us have lost some hope in Elias. His comments and actions during the season, when the team was coming around and playing good ball, was not a good signal to send to the fanbase. IMO.

Talk is very very cheap.

Tslk isnt cheap. Hes been straight with the fanbase from the jump. Some of y'all are just irrational
  • BobPhelan likes this

#88 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,936 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:30 AM

Im also tired of hearing about ownership.

1. Its not Pete anymore

2. The best thing Ive heard in a long time was the news that came out that Elias had demands to be our GM and John met them. There is absolute reason to believe he has supported Elias. It also makes me speculate that Elias has always had the ability to lower payroll and bank it for future seasons when we are trying to contend.

3. In regards to this offseason, Elias is still talking the talk. You can tell hes excited to try and make this team better. If he had any reason to believe ownership was going to pull the rug out from under him he wouldnt be talking the way he has of late.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#89 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:33 AM

That stuck with me too.  However, I think if we make a significant addition to the lineup, it may be an outfielder.

@mikeghg

#90 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:39 AM

Im also tired of hearing about ownership too.

1. Its not Pete anymore

2. The best thing Ive heard in a long time was the news that came out that Elias had demands to be our GM and John met them. There is absolute reason to believe he has supported Elias. It also makes me speculate that Elias has always had the ability to lower payroll and bank it for future seasons when we are trying to contend.

3. In regards to this offseason, Elias is still talking the talk. You can tell hes excited to try and make this team better. If he had any reason to believe ownership was going to pull the rug out from under him he wouldnt be talking the way he has of late.

I am in the seeing is believing camp, but I agree, he has not backed down on what he wants to do.  He does however qualify his comments by mentioning they will work with the budget he has been given and has also mentioned that the current players will be responsible for  some of the increased payroll. 

Just my take...I think the budget is probably going to be between 75 and 90 M this year.  If they acquire a impact pitcher, the second acquisition (position player) may disappoint some.

Let's hope your cousin makes the best calls. :-P  

@mikeghg

#91 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:44 AM

Signing Turner, trading for a Burnes/Bieber/Woodruf, and signing a Bassit type would be the chef's kiss offseason. Certainly not expecting that but the odds are higher than 0.0%.

• Mike B likes this

#92 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:53 AM

Signing Turner, trading for a Burnes/Bieber/Woodruf, and signing a Bassit type would be the chef's kiss offseason. Certainly not expecting that but the odds are higher than 0.0%.

Turner would probably slot at 2B for the Orioles.  I know you guys mentioned Mullins as the key lure in a trade for Burns, but if the Brewers were to deal Burns to the Orioles, I think they might be more interested in Cowser, because of coast and control.  I would do that, if I was the Orioles.

Having Mullins, Turner and Mateo in the lineup would be a fun watch.

As for Bassitt, that is a guy, who I have mentioned for a few months.  He  is not a 1, but a solid 2-3 type. If the Mets want to keep him, his price will be too high for the Orioles.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:28 PM

I'd be really interested in finding out what Elias thinks of the Asian market.  Seems like there will be a few options for either FAs or posted players coming over this year.  Plus there is Nick Martinez, who returned stateside last year with a 4-year deal with SD that he's now opted out of.

MacPhail and Duquette dabbled in the Asian market quite a bit with varying success (Koji, Wada, Chen, Kim).  

#94 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:46 PM

Fangraphs projections

Trea: 9 years/$32.0 M AAV
Correa: 10 years/$30.0 MAAV
Xander: 7 years/$31.0 M AAV
Rodon: 5 years/$24.0 M AAV
Dansby: 6 years/$24.0 M AAV

she/her

#95 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:51 PM

Tslk isnt cheap. Hes been straight with the fanbase from the jump. Some of y'all are just irrational

Irrational that Elias wouldnt acknowledge that the team in the Playoff hunt, wasnt worth trying to add a player or two and dumped a player of two at trade deadline that did not help the team finish the season.

Added a player or two, would have rebuild the roster, regardless of the 2022 season outcome.

So now, we are supposed to be excited because he has said, we will have liftoff now.

#96 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:53 PM

Fangraphs projections

Trea: 9 years/$32.0 M AAV
Correa: 10 years/$30.0 MAAV
Xander: 7 years/$31.0 M AAV
Rodon: 5 years/$24.0 M AAV
Dansby: 6 years/$24.0 M AAV

MLBTR projects the same guys for:

Turner: 8 years @ $33.5M AAV

Correa: 9 @ $32M

Bogaerts: 7 @ $27M

Rodon: 5 @ $28M

Swanson: 7 @ $22M

I'd be all over Rodon at these prices.

#97 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:54 PM

I'd be really interested in finding out what Elias thinks of the Asian market.  Seems like there will be a few options for either FAs or posted players coming over this year.  Plus there is Nick Martinez, who returned stateside last year with a 4-year deal with SD that he's now opted out of.

MacPhail and Duquette dabbled in the Asian market quite a bit with varying success (Koji, Wada, Chen, Kim).  

Senga would be an awesome get. Can't say it seems likely, would probably want to be on the west coast and/or a bigger market. I posted the below when Bob brought him up in August.

Different years so different run environments, obviously this is stats based without scouting, and he's older...but his NPB numbers are almost the same as Ohtani's as a pitcher.

Senga to Ohtani: 2.62 to 2.52 ERA, 6.6 to 6.4 H/9, 0.7 to 0.4 HR/9, 3.4 to 3.3 BB/9, 10.4 to 10.3 K/9. 

https://www.baseball...id=senga-000kod

https://www.baseball...ohtansh01.shtml

• BobPhelan likes this

#98 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:55 PM

And if Elias doesn’t get what he wants because other teams offer more or are more attractive destinations, is he going to tell the team they aren’t good enough again?

This front office has to earn my positivity back with actions. Not words.
  • Old Man likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#99 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 04:01 PM

Abreu projected for a 2-year deal by both MLBTR and FG.  I'd be all over that as well.

#100 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 November 2022 - 04:20 PM

To sum up, he did what every previous O's GM did. He talked about getting better. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=