2551 replies to this topic

#301 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:28 AM

I still think sign Correa/Trea/etc and use some combo of Westburg/Ortiz/Norby/etc to trade for pitching because 75% of your infield is taken care of is the best way to kill two birds with one stone if you're gonna make a big FA move

The question is how good do you think Westburg/Ortiz/Norby/etc. can be?  If Joey Ortiz can put up comparable numbers at a fraction of the cost then it's a tough sell to spend resources on a Correa.  

As we've said many times, there's not really one direction to go here.  The O's have flexibility and resources, both in dollars and MiLB talent, to go in pretty much any direction they want.  To me the harder question isn't really who you spend the money on, it's which players from the farm system are you willing to let go of.

• BobPhelan and PrimeTime like this

#302 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:41 AM

The question is how good do you think Westburg/Ortiz/Norby/etc. can be?  If Joey Ortiz can put up comparable numbers at a fraction of the cost then it's a tough sell to spend resources on a Correa.  

As we've said many times, there's not really one direction to go here.  The O's have flexibility and resources, both in dollars and MiLB talent, to go in pretty much any direction they want.  To me the harder question isn't really who you spend the money on, it's which players from the farm system are you willing to let go of.

As we know from your avatar, there's always an inherent risk of dealing away prospects for an established player.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#303 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:56 AM

Use the farm system created to get a true ace and add quality player for nothing but money around the foundation sounds ok to me. Would still have plenty remaining to fill in when needed in the minors.

But look at how many blue chip Ace pitchers we drafted for the farm system, and the Calvary was supposed to dominate for years.

That pretty much was a total bust.

Thats why they are called prospects.

Im not against the draft, but you need multiple avenues to fill out the 40 man roster, to really compete.

#304 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:57 AM

Wonder if there’s any truth to this Brewers deal being rumored on Twitter. O’s apparently after Burnes.

#305 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:01 PM

But look at how many blue chip Ace pitchers we drafted for the farm system, and the Calvary was supposed to dominate for years.

That pretty much was a total bust.

Thats why they are called prospects.

Im not against the draft, but you need multiple avenues to fill out the 40 man roster, to really compete.

While true, I'm about a million times more confident in this regime developing anybody than the one 5-15 years ago. Time will tell of course.

#306 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:05 PM

I'm down to start making up silly trade offers for Burns.  If we can keep Henderson and Rodriguez I think I'd deal basically anything else in a deal for him.  Including Holiday.

Is there any recent comp?  I don't think guys like Castilla, Montas, or Berrios are on the same level as Burns.  Cole wasn't the Cy Young level guy when he was traded to Houston.

#307 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:06 PM

It's just a rumor, but I saw where the Yankees are in on Correa. If so, we can scratch his name from our list of hopefuls.

Hes not on our list.

#308 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:07 PM

Wonder if there’s any truth to this Brewers deal being rumored on Twitter. O’s apparently after Burnes.

o'rly!!!

#309 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:08 PM

I'm down to start making up silly trade offers for Burns. If we can keep Henderson and Rodriguez I think I'd deal basically anything else in a deal for him. Including Holiday.

Is there any recent comp? I don't think guys like Castilla, Montas, or Berrios are on the same level as Burns.

We absolutely can and would keep Henderson, GRod, and Holliday

#310 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:11 PM

We absolutely can and would keep Henderson, GRod, and Holliday

Cowser, Westburg, Hall is a real big offer but I think someone would send a higher rated top piece.  A top-20 or top-10 type guy.  I think we'd probably have to include Holliday to win a bidding war.

#311 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:12 PM

o'rly!!!

I saw it on ‘DDDDDIT (Reddit) so you know it has to be true… evidently Rosenthal mentioned the O’s are interested in Burnes. I did not see that anywhere though.

#312 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:14 PM

I saw it on ‘DDDDDIT (Reddit) so you know it has to be true… evidently Rosenthal mentioned the O’s are interested in Burnes. I did not see that anywhere though.

As Mack said, its enough to start dreaming and making up trade offers

#313 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:16 PM

Cowser, Westburg, Hall is a real big offer but I think someone would send a higher rated top piece. A top-20 or top-10 type guy. I think we'd probably have to include Holliday to win a bidding war.

2 years left correct? Hes a stud no doubt but Holliday has #1 overall prospect potential. I really doubt the Os would trade any of their top 3. For anyone.

#314 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:16 PM

Hes not on our list.

He's on my list. 

#315 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:19 PM

2 years left correct? Hes a stud no doubt but Holliday has #1 overall prospect potential. I really doubt the Os would trade any of their top 3. For anyone.

Yeah.  He's about to be 28 y/o.  Has a 2.62 ERA since the start of 2020 (6th, 1st, and 7th in NL Cy Young voting) and pitched 200 innings last season.

I can't see them out-bidding other contenders without Holliday in the offer.  I guess they could if they include Bautista or Mullins, but I'm thinking more straight prospects.

#316 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:21 PM

He's on my list.

Invent some crazy sh**. Buy the Os. Boom. All of us are depending on you. No pressure.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#317 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:22 PM

I dont give too much thought into anything Rosenthal says when it involves the Orioles. 

#318 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:24 PM

Yeah. He's about to be 28 y/o. Has a 2.62 ERA since the start of 2020 (6th, 1st, and 7th in NL Cy Young voting) and pitched 200 innings last season.

I can't see them out-bidding other contenders without Holliday in the offer. I guess they could if they include Bautista or Mullins, but I'm thinking more straight prospects.

You'd 100% give up Bautista in a deal if necessary. I was thinking Mullins earlier. Think they have a hole in CF. Youd have to go sign a guy like Keirmaier for a year or two. Dont think we would be in on Nimmo but maybe. Dont think I want Nimmo in CF anyway.

#319 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:28 PM

I dont give too much thought into anything Rosenthal says when it involves the Orioles. 

His O's grudge aside, all his rumors are usually nothing more than his own creation. 

• Old Man likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#320 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 01:12 PM

I think Westburg and friends could be viable major leaguers and still not have the ceiling of Correa, he's a top 5 SS and won't turn 30 until late September in 2024. 

• Mackus likes this

she/her

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Our Sponsors

width=