2551 replies to this topic

#261 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:34 PM

As for what's acceptable, I think they need to add at least $50-60M worth of new additions for 2023 (beyond internal salary increases).  We can scale up the value of trade-assets to be on a FA scale, a stud pitcher in Arb2 may only make $8M but should count for $20M in value, for example.

Whether that's a $35M superstar and two $10M regulars or three $20M guys or whatever will come down to exact players and positions they target.  But I just cannot envision anyone approving if all they do is add one $15M SP and a $10M per year outfielder and call it a day.

You set the an over/under on '23 payroll that we can agree to and Ill make a bet with you. Loser has to pay the others round of golf when Cerrano and Ricker join us for a foursome next spring. 

• You Play to Win the Game and Mackus like this

#262 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:38 AM

To be honest I don't pay attention until the winter meetings. Then after the winter meetings , I stop paying attention again. 

You're a better fan than me. I don't pay attention to the winter meetings. But that's because the O's off season is a true off season. From the owners on down, everyone turns off their phones, take a 3 month+ vacation and reconvene in ST, where they map out how to trim payroll.  

• bmore_ken likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#263 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:23 AM

Eric Fisher

Disney this month has paid MLB $900 million for the remaining 15% of BAMTech it didn't already own following a series of prior deals. So when your favorite team cries poor this winter, keep in mind they're each due another $30 million windfall from this.

• Greg Pappas and weird-O like this

#264 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:31 AM

Jon Morosi on MLBN said the O’s are the front runners to sign Chris Bassitt.

#265 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:33 AM

You set the an over/under on '23 payroll that we can agree to and Ill make a bet with you. Loser has to pay the others round of golf when Cerrano and Ricker join us for a foursome next spring. 

We're at something like $37M for the guys here now once we go through arbitration.  I can't imagine a scenario where we are happy with the offseason if it doesn't go up to at least $85M.  If we trade for guys who are still in the arb process, we can alter the number to account for that type of addition.

So...I think $85M is my number for a bear minimum.

#266 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:34 AM

print the WS tickets! :)

#267 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:36 AM

I'd like that.  He's a good target.  Would still want another SP that is at least as good as him via trade or FA and preferably younger (Verlander excepted).  He can't be the only guy.

• Old Man likes this

#268 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:48 AM

Bassitt is a good pitcher.  He would be our one out of ST.   Getting Bassitt, would be a real good start IMO.

@mikeghg

#269 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:55 AM

He’s a good target.

He had a .592 OPS against vs. righties last year, .735 vs. LHP. Not like The Wall ™️ will help him.

Everything looks solid though. Swinging strike % slightly below average. FIP/xFIP strong and in line with his ERA generally speaking. Barrel rate is 6.5%, which is elite. Hard contact is 25.2%, which is probably around the 95th percentile.

#270 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:02 PM

Bassitt would certainly be an upgrade over Lyles and the cost should be in the neighborhood of what Lyles' option was. If we can bring in Bassitt, as Mackus said, he can't be "the" guy but he can be one of them. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#271 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:08 PM

Bassitt would certainly be an upgrade over Lyles and the cost should be in the neighborhood of what Lyles' option was. If we can bring in Bassitt, as Mackus said, he can't be "the" guy but he can be one of them. 

He'll be a good bit more than Lyles and take a multi-year commitment.

For what it's worth, MLBTR projected him for a 3/$60M contract and Fangraphs for 3/$51M.

Tyler Anderson, who isn't as good but is the same age, signed for 3/$39M with the Angels.  Publications above projected him for 1/$20M and 2/$30M deals.

#272 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, good target regardless but much better as the second best SP we acquire this offseason.
  • You Play to Win the Game and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#273 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:10 PM

He'll be a good bit more than Lyles and take a multi-year commitment.

For what it's worth, MLBTR projected him for a 3/$60M contract and Fangraphs for 3/$51M.

Gotcha.....I figured it would be multi year but I thought he'd be more in the 15 mil AAV. I guess the neighborhood is a little further away than I thought.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#274 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, good target regardless but much better as the second best SP we acquire this offseason.

Another SP equivilent to Bassit would be fine too. I def would want 1 more and at least 1 LH bat. Conforto or Brantley trade for Pablo Lopez and Im good with that as far as sig additions. A backup C or RP on a smaller deal still possible
  • BobPhelan likes this

#275 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:37 PM

Another SP equivilent to Bassit would be fine too.

Yeah that'd be ok especially if they then are making a bigger splash on the position player side.  As far as FAs go, there really are only the top guys that are clearly better.  Guys like Walker and Manaea and Eovaldi might make a bit more or be preferred slightly but are fairly similar in quality.

• BobPhelan likes this

#276 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:38 PM

Another SP equivilent to Bassit would be fine too. I def would want 1 more and at least 1 LH bat. Conforto or Brantley trade for Pablo Lopez and Im good with that as far as sig additions. A backup C or RP on a smaller deal still possible

Sounds good.  I am not that high on Brantley.  He is basically a DH at this point and I think you can count on 40 games on the IL at this point.  He may be able to play a little RF at Camden Yards, but he would be a liability in LF.

@mikeghg

#277 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:39 PM

If the LH bat could be a back up 1st baseman, that would be ideal. Having to use Aguilar to spell Mountcastle was not very good at all. 

What about Brandon Belt? He's missed some time the last 2 years, certainly struggled last year but posted a .975 OPS and 2.6 WAR season in '21. Spotrac has his market value at 16 million but I can't imagine he gets that much at this point in his career.

@primetime667083

#278 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:17 PM

We're at something like $37M for the guys here now once we go through arbitration.  I can't imagine a scenario where we are happy with the offseason if it doesn't go up to at least $85M.  If we trade for guys who are still in the arb process, we can alter the number to account for that type of addition.

So...I think $85M is my number for a bear minimum.

You want to take the under on 80? I get the over. If I was betting Id probably take the under on 80 on OD. I think they will leave money to make additions during the season if necessary. Plus Elias has already said this will be a build up over years. Not all spent in 1 year. I guess that all depends on how high you think the Os will be willing to go once they are dead in the middle of win now mode. I dont see them going back up to 150 or 160 like they did in '16.

I just want to get out and golf and have a fun little side bet. Ricker you are responsible for finding a 4th if Cerrano isnt a golfer or cant make it.

#279 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:19 PM

I'd like that. He's a good target. Would still want another SP that is at least as good as him via trade or FA and preferably younger (Verlander excepted). He can't be the only guy.

I'd also be good with it. He's much better than Lyles. I would also like another SP, but I don't think it's mandatory like you do. More high level talent is mandatory imo, but I'm flexible about the specific positions.

#280 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:29 PM

You want to take the under on 80? I get the over. If I was betting Id probably take the under on 80 on OD. I think they will leave money to make additions during the season if necessary. Plus Elias has already said this will be a build up over years. Not all spent in 1 year. I guess that all depends on how high you think the Os will be willing to go once they are dead in the middle of win now mode. I dont see them going back up to 150 or 160 like they did in '16.

I just want to get out and golf and have a fun little side bet. Ricker you are responsible for finding a 4th if Cerrano isnt a golfer or cant make it.

Im not gonna haggle over 5 mil. I get over 85. You get under.  

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=