2551 replies to this topic

#2481 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:41 PM

Holy chit... just read The Sun's recap of whatever Orioles scripted sham fluff job interview LaConfora and Weinman did today to try to help John Angelos with PR after his Monday train wreck with Connolly... what a clown show...

https://www.baltimor...c76m-story.html

You gotta read it (hit the STOP load button at the right time and anyone can)... there's a good 100 pages of forum fodder in that one article. ;)

#2482 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:48 PM

"...Angelos said efforts to increase payroll would be helped “if we collectively as a community can get people coming back downtown..."

There you go. The Orioles bottom of the barrel payroll / major league spending is because enough of YOU don't go to the games. There ya go... it's the fans fault. The community's fault.

Find it funny that like a day after he tooted his own horn for the 5 million dollar gift, the Ravens announced a 20 million dollar gift to the Boys and Girls Club...

#2483 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:51 PM

"...After dismissing a question during a Monday news conference about his family’s future owning the team because it was Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Angelos was not asked about those comments during Friday’s radio appearance, nor his statement to reporters that he would welcome them back to Camden Yards “next week” to “show you the financials of the Orioles,” a meeting that has yet to be scheduled. He also faced no questions about his family’s ongoing legal battles, the team’s expiring lease with the Maryland Stadium Authority and the dispute between the Washington Nationals and the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, for which he is also CEO..."

Some strong journalism there by JLC...

#2484 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:53 PM

“I like to tell everyone, this job stinks with low payrolls, right?” said Angelos, whose family owns 70% of the team...

Right John. Right.

His dad once told the world that Boston had the best fans in baseball. These Angelos fellas really know how to talk to their fanbase.

#2485 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:01 PM

There you go. The Orioles bottom of the barrel payroll / major league spending is because enough of YOU don't go to the games. There ya go... it's the fans fault. The community's fault.

Of course. It is ALWAYS the fans fault.

We don't buy enough tickets to watch a terrible team.

We don't pay more in taxes for you to have a nicer stadium.

We're ungrateful slobs for voicing displeasure with the product while you pocket hundreds of millions of dollars.

What a shitbag.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#2486 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 06:02 AM

All fluff, nothing interesting. Closest thing would be Elias saying they’re still looking to add SP, RP, and a LH hitter right up to spring training most likely through trade.

ROFL shut the F up Mike. I love you but F off

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2487 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 06:17 AM

"way overpay"....eyeroll. Shit costs what it costs, unless you can't afford it which obviously isn't the case here, you're either willing to pay or willing to go without. Orioles are willing to go without.

Nobody wants 10 more pages of the same back and forth but I'll say it everytime you get so adamant and cocksure. You dont know. I dont know either . Bob can comment again if he wants on what he said in the past and again the other day on a podcast. Bob has some connections that have credibility that say we made a competitive offer for Bassitt. Now have at making your own definition of what competitive means because thats what you will do. Others here may question Bob or his sources. I straight up tell you Im speculating. You criticize while being  overconfident in your believe of what has gone on behind the scenes in negotiations 

• BobPhelan likes this

#2488 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 January 2023 - 06:52 AM

It’s what I heard and I do believe it but I’m not going to blame anyone that doesn’t.

#2489 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:02 AM

It’s what I heard and I do believe it but I’m not going to blame anyone that doesn’t.

I havent talked to you about your sources. At all.  I know you have a relationship with beat writers and former beat writers for the Os. My guess, and its purely a guess, is thats where you may have got some info. Maybe its somewhere else. Nonetheless, you're very credible in my book. I know you're not putting something like that out there after you heard it from someone off the street. 

#2490 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:52 AM

So that's pretty much it in terms of potential quality SP additions, right?  Anyone else gonna be hitting the trade market?  Don't think Marlins are looking to move two of their guys.

I guess the good news is I've been resigned to total failure for a month or more, so the door perhaps officially closing on making even one single move of consequence doesn't really make me feel worse.  Bright side!

What an effing disgrace.

Alright everyone, let's root for the Brewers to sell at the deadline

she/her

#2491 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:54 AM

What do you think "competitive" means in regards to an offer to Bassitt?  Better than he got, equal, less than?

#2492 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:59 AM

Nobody wants 10 more pages of the same back and forth but I'll say it everytime you get so adamant and cocksure. You dont know. I dont know either . Bob can comment again if he wants on what he said in the past and again the other day on a podcast. Bob has some connections that have credibility that say we made a competitive offer for Bassitt. Now have at making your own definition of what competitive means because thats what you will do. Others here may question Bob or his sources. I straight up tell you Im speculating. You criticize while being overconfident in your believe of what has gone on behind the scenes in negotiations

I really don't need to repeat what I've said, because nothing has changed. We all know that they don't care enough about this coming season to have done anything that might help if that move in any way limited or prevented what they might be able to do in the future. They aren't committing any future resources. Its an obvious truth. They've done nothing to show otherwise. If they change that mode of operation, then we can reconsider the intentions.

I also don't really care what's going on behind the scenes. Trying and failing would be better on the emotions than not trying, but ultimately means the same thing: that they aren't doing anything to improve the 2023 roster.

The team very well may be good anyways, so that will help once we start playing. But the background buzz of an absence of support from management will always be there. Hopefully the team is good enough to drown it out.

#2493 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 January 2023 - 10:18 AM

What do you think "competitive" means in regards to an offer to Bassitt? Better than he got, equal, less than?

To my understanding, equal.
  • Mackus likes this

#2494 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 January 2023 - 10:21 AM

The O's may or may not improve over 2022 with the experience gained by the young guys and some new guys coming up. But I'll ask once again. Do we really think that improvement is going to be enough to overcome the gap between the O's and the contenders (3 plus games last season) plus whatever improvements those contenders have made.

This isn't a vacuum where you only need to worry about your team. Sports IS about keeping up with the Jones's. I worry that the in house ticks up isn't keeping up with the contenders.

#2495 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 January 2023 - 10:35 AM

"...Angelos said efforts to increase payroll would be helped “if we collectively as a community can get people coming back downtown..."

Find it funny that like a day after he tooted his own horn for the 5 million dollar gift, the Ravens announced a 20 million dollar gift to the Boys and Girls Club...

That’s some racist BS IMO. We’d try harder if the city didn’t riot around Freddie Gray. That’s 100% what Angelos is saying here. It’s narrative driven and complete nonsense. Setting up the groundwork to leave Baltimore IMO. The writing is on the wall.

#2496 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:36 AM

That’s some racist BS IMO. We’d try harder if the city didn’t riot around Freddie Gray. That’s 100% what Angelos is saying here. It’s narrative driven and complete nonsense. Setting up the groundwork to leave Baltimore IMO. The writing is on the wall.

Ill wait to see if the lease is extended but yeah youre last few sentences adds up

#2497 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:45 AM

I take it as just a spending excuse. We would LOVE to spend more money, just can’t. Not laying groundwork to leave. But who knows.

#2498 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:49 AM

I take it as just a spending excuse. We would LOVE to spend more money, just can’t. Not laying groundwork to leave. But who knows.

Yet the lease remains unsigned and they won’t talk about it.

#2499 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:51 AM

Speaks volumes about Jason LaConfora’s character by the way. He just pummels the Ravens org constantly for not going the Rams route of manipulating the salary cap, then hosts a puff interview with zero interesting questions, of one of the most egregiously greedy and cheap owners in professional sports. What a joke.
  • Hooded Viper, Mike in STL, Ravens2006 and 1 other like this

#2500 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:53 AM

Yet the lease remains unsigned and they won’t talk about it.

Maybe. I certainly could be being naive. 

Agree completely with the JLC post. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=