#2462 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:20 PM

Min wins that deal. Arraez is a better Hanser Alberto that hits LH

The word "better" is doing a lot of lifting in this sentence. 

Twins are also getting two prospects, one in the Marlins top 5, because Arraez is a valuable commodity.  Lopez is as well, of course.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2463 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:34 PM

The Orioles could have 100% beaten thar deal without breaking a sweat.

Oh well.

#2464 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:45 PM

So that's pretty much it in terms of potential quality SP additions, right?  Anyone else gonna be hitting the trade market?  Don't think Marlins are looking to move two of their guys.

I guess the good news is I've been resigned to total failure for a month or more, so the door perhaps officially closing on making even one single move of consequence doesn't really make me feel worse.  Bright side!

What an effing disgrace.

• You Play to Win the Game and weird-O like this

#2465 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:58 PM

So that's pretty much it in terms of potential quality SP additions, right?  Anyone else gonna be hitting the trade market?  Don't think Marlins are looking to move two of their guys.

I guess the good news is I've been resigned to total failure for a month or more, so the door perhaps officially closing on making even one single move of consequence doesn't really make me feel worse.  Bright side!

What an effing disgrace.

No secret that I supported the punt mode to stock up on top draft picks and supporting management in that approach. And we have all beat to death whether that was an approach worth doing or not. So lets not beat that dead horse anymore.

But with that support was also the expectation that when we got a winning club with a core of cost controlled pieces that the FO would open up the budget again. Shoot I suggested that it should have been north of $80M LAST offseason. That was my target.

So not that the O's FO gives a flying flip about what I think but they have lost my support. Can they get it back? Sure but they are going to have to really pull out the stops in the future because the time was right for all the reasons we have discussed over the last 124 pages. 

PS - Ya'll give me lots of likes. I am trying to fill out my flag....lol

• You Play to Win the Game and bmore_ken like this

#2466 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 20 January 2023 - 05:47 PM

For a team that really needed starting pitching, all they've done really is sign a bullpen arm (Givens).

#2467 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 January 2023 - 05:52 PM

Despite the demonstrated ability of the existing roster to win, winning still is not the objective.

And with that, you can pretty much lock the thread.

#2468 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 January 2023 - 06:08 PM

Personally, I am good with Lopez getting traded anywhere.  I think he's fine and is the type of target you get for any random year, not when you need the guys you've been working on to pitch. It's a great deal for MIN because they lack solid/reasonable pitching options so this is the kind of guy you target.

That said, I have no idea what the marlins are doing.  How does Arraez move the needle on anything?  Maybe they have other things up their sleeve (it's 20 JAN), but they put together this "Project Wolverine" (which was supposed to start in 2021?) and they hire the first ever female GM and they have been a disaster.   Jeter quit, they haven't done anything, their position prospects have been mostly terrible and they've wasted what has actually been a pretty good pitching staff..  What exactly is the plan in any year there? They give up Lopez PLUS 2 prospects for a guy with a good average and OPB but no power and no significant defensive position.  Ugh.  Ugh. Ugh. 

#2469 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:19 PM

If so, there's no reason to feel good about the future of the team. 

Was there ever?

• weird-O likes this

#2470 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:24 PM

The word "better" is doing a lot of lifting in this sentence.

Twins are also getting two prospects, one in the Marlins top 5, because Arraez is a valuable commodity. Lopez is as well, of course.

Meh. I like the Minn side much more. Arraez is a 1b/DH that has little power. Hes all contact. Elite contact. But not much else.

#2471 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:28 PM

Unfortunately the state of ownership likely hurt the Os offseason. That with a mix of confederate money mixed with Elias refusal to way overpay for solid but not elite pithing.

#2472 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:14 PM

There will be no real change in how they operate financially until Peter has moved on and the franchise changes hands. In the meantime all fans have is to hope a massive amount of their in-house talent all develops, cuz they aren't spending crap on talent from outside or long-term contracts.

#2473 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:24 PM

Guys, can we not talk about what goes on between the lines. Dr. King would have wanted us to wait at least a week after his day.
  • weird-O likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2474 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:28 PM

Apparently Jon A and Elias were on the JLC snd KW show this afternoon AFTER I quit listening due to their anti-Ravens agenda.

Did anyone catch the interview?

#2475 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 January 2023 - 09:24 PM

Apparently Jon A and Elias were on the JLC snd KW show this afternoon AFTER I quit listening due to their anti-Ravens agenda.

Did anyone catch the interview?

All fluff, nothing interesting. Closest thing would be Elias saying they’re still looking to add SP, RP, and a LH hitter right up to spring training most likely through trade.

#2476 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:02 PM

So no mention of the big media invite to the Warehouse next week, eh? I think we all knew that would never come about. The only question was whether John would come up with a lame ass excuse or if he would just ghost everyone who might ask him about it.

#2477 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:09 PM

Unfortunately the state of ownership likely hurt the Os offseason. That with a mix of confederate money mixed with Elias refusal to way overpay for solid but not elite pithing.

Lol at confederate money. But hey, maybe based on your posting history, confederate money roughly equals normal money?
  • You Play to Win the Game and weird-O like this

#2478 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:24 PM

Connolly started a candlelight vigil for announcement of the open records review... I envision a crowd waiting outside the warehouse for a puff of smoke before the big announcement.

#2479 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:32 PM

"way overpay"....eyeroll. Shit costs what it costs, unless you can't afford it which obviously isn't the case here, you're either willing to pay or willing to go without. Orioles are willing to go without.
  • You Play to Win the Game, weird-O and bmore_ken like this

#2480 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:40 PM

Lol at confederate money. But hey, maybe based on your posting history, confederate money roughly equals normal money?

Unless there's something about the lawsuit that scares players off, which I doubt, I don't see a confederate money situation here. Every player knows they are a team on the rise, and if they were to get a multi-year deal then they will likely be competing for a WS before the end of it. The offer just didn't meet the competition (or never existed in the first place).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=