2551 replies to this topic

#21 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 02:54 PM

He unnecessarily occupies a spot in the rotation when they should be doing better with who they're paying real money to start games while keeping spots open for some of their younger/cheaper arms like Grayson, Kremer, and Bradish.

I think you have unrealistic expectations of who they're going to pursue. Jacob deGrom isn't walking through that door.
  • Mike B and bmore_ken like this

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 02:55 PM

I think you have unrealistic expectations of who they're going to pursue. Jacob deGrom isn't walking through that door.

No, he's probably aligned with you in-terms of what he think the O's are going to do.... he's talking about what he thinks the O's should be doing.

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 November 2022 - 02:59 PM

We wanna upgrade LF...are you non-tendering Hays?

No. Hays will be cheaper, has upside, can compete for playing time even within an extra outfielder acquired, and I think more clearly has trade value than Lyles.

We've already been over this though. I don't hate your plan to pick up the option and then deal him if they upgrade the position. If I were in charge though, I'd be confident in that spot being upgraded so I wouldn't concern myself with having him as insurance.
  • Mackus likes this

#24 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 November 2022 - 03:01 PM

No, he's probably aligned with you in-terms of what he think the O's are going to do.... he's talking about what he thinks the O's should be doing.

Yes, clearly.

However, even if they aren't going to shop toward the top of the market, it would be disappointing to me to see Lyles back.

#25 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 November 2022 - 03:25 PM

The O's should be able to get a 91 ERA+ or better from various in house options, and those in house options should be knocked down the pecking order by at least one high level acquisition.

I totally agree. If they have an equally or more reliable arm in the system, perfect. It saves money that (presumably) could be used to add another player. Going into a season where you expect to compete, and filling out your rotation with 3 unseasoned farm hands, is a risky move. 

• bmore_ken likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 03:36 PM

Lyles's durability is not easily replaced but his production is and we should be looking to improve on the production. 2 SPs. If Lyles is the 2nd thats ok but ideally you find 1 guy considerably better and a 2nd that is at least league average
  • Mackus likes this

#27 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 November 2022 - 03:49 PM

Elias should use that $10M towards a better SP. The Orioles are an attractive landing, let's take advantage.

This mentality feeds into the Orioles having a finite amount of resources. They do not (at least up to the luxury tax). I’m so sick of this stuff. They get SO much money just from being a team.

And I wouldn’t touch deGrom with Cerrano’s wand
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this

@fuzydunlop

#28 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 04:37 PM

This mentality feeds into the Orioles having a finite amount of resources. They do not (at least up to the luxury tax). I’m so sick of this stuff. They get SO much money just from being a team.

And I wouldn’t touch deGrom with Cerrano’s wand

They are a mid-market team, and with a very good cable TV deal, I expect them at some point, to be spending like a mid-market team, not playing small money ball.

#29 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 November 2022 - 04:42 PM

They are a mid-market team, and with a very good cable TV deal, I expect them at some point, to be spending like a mid-market team, not playing small money ball.

Again, this is just wrong. IIRC, each team got a minimum of 90 million from TV deals and shared revenue (not revenue sharing). If you start with that much, before local tv deals, tickets, etc.

@fuzydunlop

#30 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 November 2022 - 04:43 PM

Bud Selig’s legacy is this incorrect mentality.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#31 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:16 PM

I haven't followed the MLB FA market for a few years, since the O's haven't participated in it for a few years. But doesn't a back of the rotation FA starter cost ~$10M? 

Innings eaters have their value.  

Same here. I usually turn on the tv and see someone in a new uniform and go "when did that happen?" I'm pretty sure Elias will continue the O's free agency trend. Especially since the team over performed this year. 

#32 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:18 PM

They should be trying to do better than league average-ish, and that's a generous description of Lyles.

They won't though. It's not the Orioles way.

#33 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:21 PM

I think Lyles is history and I dont see them spending the money on FA signings. 

This payroll is driven one one thing in mind, cheap.

Yup

#34 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:35 PM

Since you mentioned their TV deal, I assume you're defining their market tier in terms of media revenue reach, rather than the demographics of the Baltimore metro area. If I'm correct in what you're referring to, they are not a mid-market team. As Dude mentioned at one point, they are in the 4th largest media market in the country. They aren't small or mid, they're a large market team. They just don't choose to spend like one. That "small market" cry baby stuff is Angelos PR that has gone on for so long, people just started to believe it. 

• bmore_ken likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#35 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:49 PM

Again, this is just wrong. IIRC, each team got a minimum of 90 million from TV deals and shared revenue (not revenue sharing). If you start with that much, before local tv deals, tickets, etc.

Spottrac has them as the cheapest payroll in MLB.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

We can argue about where they fall in the mid-market range and thats fine.

Can you make a justified point that they are a small market team?

#36 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:51 PM

Since you mentioned their TV deal, I assume you're defining their market tier in terms of media revenue reach, rather than the demographics of the Baltimore metro area. If I'm correct in what you're referring to, they are not a mid-market team. As Dude mentioned at one point, they are in the 4th largest media market in the country. They aren't small or mid, they're a large market team. They just don't choose to spend like one. That "small market" cry baby stuff is Angelos PR that has gone on for so long, people just started to believe it. 

I wont disagree with your point, they can be considered a large market team.

This crappy money ball stuff is for the birds, no pun intended.

Sure, jettison payroll, when you sucked, but as you rebuild, some of expected a bit more than what we have seen.

• weird-O likes this

#37 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 November 2022 - 07:12 PM

Not sure how many are left, but a ton of action on Team/Player options today.

#38 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 07:54 PM

Some people

• weird-O likes this

#39 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 12:54 AM

I dont know where their payroll will come in next year. Im sure itll be under $100 mil. I do believe we will be active though. We will be in on FAs even if its only in the mid tier and I expect a lot of trade talk too. There is no reason not to believe Elias when he says its time to compete. Even if it is on a small payroll of 70 mil or so. We will be active

#40 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 06:47 AM

I dont know where their payroll will come in next year. Im sure itll be under $100 mil. I do believe we will be active though. We will be in on FAs even if its only in the mid tier and I expect a lot of trade talk too. There is no reason not to believe Elias when he says its time to compete. Even if it is on a small payroll of 70 mil or so. We will be active

He had a chance to be active this season, and he choose not too.

• bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=