MASN: MASN Orioles Podcast predicts who the O's will sign in FA

https://www.masnspor...-in-free-agency

#2 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 November 2022 - 12:00 PM

I suppose you have to be a college basketball fan for that article to be interesting at all.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#3 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 01:36 PM

I suppose you have to be a college basketball fan for that article to be interesting at all.

You’re not excited by the idea of Joey Wendle and Curt Casali?

• BSLSteveBirrer and weird-O like this

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 05:40 PM

Thats cringy all the way around

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 November 2022 - 08:36 PM

I didn't listen to the podcasts - I generally don't find these guys to be that informed or interesting (they are completely tied to Orioles messaging through MASN) - but at least for this exercise, even though I disagree with some stuff here, it's at least an interesting exercise.

Not 'interesting' in terms of their answers, but at least some pieces of the process.

Couple thoughts...

4 Brackets: They break this out into four areas of need ...Starting pitcher, Backup catcher, Middle infielder and 'big bat'. I guess you have to figure out 4 areas for the 'bracket' approach, but most people seem to be hoping that MI and Big Bat are the same person. Also, I didn't listen to it so maybe they addressed this, but all of the answers are FAs.  Trading should probably be a bigger part of this exercise.

Backup C: So it wouldn't surprise me if Curt Casali was actually the answer.  I don't know if they included the internal options for consideration because until they are released, they are part of the exercise, sad as that is (sorry moms of those players).

Starting pitcher.  I don't really understand how you wind up with Taillon in this exercise.  Right now (pending Means return in the summer), we will have all RHed pitchers.  Hall will get there eventually (innings buildup), but it's hard to believe that whatever they do with one spot won't focus on someone pitching into the left-field cavern.  If Sean Manaea isn't part of this exercise, why not and if he's an option, how doesn't he move on.  Manaea would seem an order of magnitude more likely that Taillon.

MI: so I'm not sure how we wind up with Wende other than we had to wind up with someone....they are pretty much covered for both the starters and the backups and the depth.  They probably need to even trade a guy like Urias coming off of the GG. So Wendle only makes any sense if you are trading Urias and Vavra and want to fill in with some type of veteran.  I don't think the Orioles are doing that, but if that was actually the plan, that's ok.

Big Bat:  Again, many want this to be one of the SS names for the above answer.  The only reason that adding a guy like this makes sense is if you're trading Santander or Stowers (or Hays).  Then it's not really an add, it's the delta between the new guy and the guy you traded.  If you are getting something useful (one of the other categories) in the trade , then you can find a Pederson or someone like that.  I don't think Joc is looking for a 1-year deal this offseason, but we'll see what happens.  At this point "Jake Cave" may be the answer.

If I used their answers, I'd take Casali.  If Manaea was in the conversation, I'd take him.  

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 06 November 2022 - 10:44 PM

I suspect more dumpster diving now that the team had a relatively successful season. Elias will probably feel like no outside additions need to be made because the team is straight. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=