#21 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 10:38 AM

I guess Roch has an article quota. 

Its his full-time job, and I suspect they do like him producing words that can be published and make money for MASN and Im sure he likes collecting a steady paycheck.

I like the guy, I think he does as good as job as he can, straddling that fine line between writing what he can about the company that ultimately pays his salary. I dont consider his a stooge for the team.

#22 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 10:41 AM

I've soured on Roch over the past few years. He's not very good.

Compared to the really good guys, like Tom Boswell and company. No.

But compared to some of his peers, like Jon Heyman & Keith Law, etc. He is heads and shoulders better.

When the team is winning, of course, its probably much easier to write articles.

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 10:50 AM

This FO plays things very close to the vest. There is no propoganda going on. Roch has no clue and hes being conservative
  • BobPhelan likes this

#24 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 11:07 AM

Yeah I agree. When you aren’t trying to make the playoffs, adding a guy down the stretch who is a worse hitter than I am is meaningless.

Do you have among the best OAA in the league? The problem was his playing time. Negative hit/great d/good base running can have a place at the end of the roster, heck Trent Grisham was a CLS starter, but unfortunately he started multiple times in his two weeks here, shouldn't have gotten more than a handful of PAs a week. 

But I know this isn't going to be a productive conversation so I'm done with it, have one more rebuttal if you'd like.

ETA: Phillips' real problem was symbolic. We just traded Mancini and Lopez, the fans at least are hoping to contend, and this is what we got to help out? Everyone would have mostly accepted promoting Stowers, but making an outside move like that made little sense. No one, I think, cared so much about Chris Owings, who played a lot more and was even worse due to lack of good d, but that was a different time of year. Tying back to this thread, if we re-signed Aguilar that would be similarly symbolic in a bad way, IMO. It's time to make real moves, and that ain't one.

#25 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 October 2022 - 11:22 AM

Its his full-time job, and I suspect they do like him producing words that can be published and make money for MASN and Im sure he likes collecting a steady paycheck.

I like the guy, I think he does as good as job as he can, straddling that fine line between writing what he can about the company that ultimately pays his salary. I dont consider his a stooge for the team.

I wouldn't use the word "stooge" either. But he's undeniably their channel for broadcasting what they want to have said about the team. I don't fault him for that, I'd take that job in a minute. But the downside of that job, is that he isn't someone I look to for honest, objective articles about the team.

However, when he's on the radio, he is much more honest. I guess ownership doesn't listen to him, or have someone listen for them. Because I can't imagine they'd be happy with his critiques.   

My biggest complaint about Roch, is that he tries really hard to inject humor into his writing, and it almost always falls flat. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 October 2022 - 11:44 AM

Do you have among the best OAA in the league? The problem was his playing time. Negative hit/great d/good base running can have a place at the end of the roster, heck Trent Grisham was a CLS starter, but unfortunately he started multiple times in his two weeks here, shouldn't have gotten more than a handful of PAs a week.

But I know this isn't going to be a productive conversation so I'm done with it, have one more rebuttal if you'd like.

ETA: Phillips' real problem was symbolic. We just traded Mancini and Lopez, the fans at least are hoping to contend, and this is what we got to help out? Everyone would have mostly accepted promoting Stowers, but making an outside move like that made little sense. No one, I think, cared so much about Chris Owings, who played a lot more and was even worse due to lack of good d, but that was a different time of year. Tying back to this thread, if we re-signed Aguilar that would be similarly symbolic in a bad way, IMO. It's time to make real moves, and that ain't one.

So not agreeing with you (although I agree with your edit) = not a productive conversation? Got it. Thanks.

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:04 PM

Reporting on the O's must be one difficult job.  Sitting in the stadium and retweeting what is happening during the games is probably the only productive aspect of the job.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#28 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:04 PM

I wouldn't use the word "stooge" either. But he's undeniably their channel for broadcasting what they want to have said about the team. I don't fault him for that, I'd take that job in a minute. But the downside of that job, is that he isn't someone I look to for honest, objective articles about the team.

However, when he's on the radio, he is much more honest. I guess ownership doesn't listen to him, or have someone listen for them. Because I can't imagine they'd be happy with his critiques.   

My biggest complaint about Roch, is that he tries really hard to inject humor into his writing, and it almost always falls flat. 

Fair enough, I think the thing with his humor, he is trying to set himself apart from 99% of his peers, honestly for me, he is funny as heck at times, and not funny and annoying at other times. So I get it.

I also agreed totally. Roch on the radio is really good to listen to, and more objective than he is in print.

• weird-O likes this

#29 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:05 PM

So not agreeing with you (although I agree with your edit) = not a productive conversation? Got it. Thanks.

Took you long enough, to get it. :) :) :) :)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:06 PM

Took you long enough, to get it. :) :) :) :)

Better late than never, I’m hoping. We’ll see, lol.

#31 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:06 PM

Disagreeing is fine. I just said that because I know you have strong feelings about the Brett Phillips acquisition that I don't think are changing, and you kind of made that clear in your original response. If that was incorrect, sorry for assuming. Although I guess there is some common ground with the edit you agree with.

Fortunately, he is no longer on the 40 man and thus will probably not be on the 2023 radar, and I think we can both agree that's a good thing.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:23 PM

Not suggesting that we'd get anything of note back. Just that I don't think we'd have to eat any money to deal him. It would actually effectively be saving $1M to pick up his option and then trade him, you don't pay the buyout in that case.

I'd hold onto him until I have those better options secured, and only then cut bait. I'd fully expect to acquire two better options, that's the plan just like you say. But sometimes things outside your control prevent your plan from being executed, so I'd keep Lyles as a backup plan until I no longer need him. If it turns out we do have to eat some money to deal him then, so be it, I'll pay a couple million to have had that security blanket throughout the offseason. Maybe it even gives you a very slightly stronger negotiating point with any FA targets or trade partners, wouldn't be seen as quite as desperate for pitching as if Lyles had already walked. Perhaps balances out any money spent later dumping Lyles, if there even is any.

I'd be ok with only 1 significant SP acquisition and no Lyles. If I were in charge, I would make sure to do better than Lyles so I wouldn't worry about that.

I get it though if Elias has a limited budget to work with and therefore is less confident in acquiring difference making talent. Even then, I'm guessing there are several mid-tier options I'd prefer to Lyles though. If he's in the rotation next year, the O's have failed imo unless the rest of the off-season puzzle is assembled magnificently.

#33 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:30 PM

Any article that begins with whether the Orioles should seriously consider bringing back Jesus Aguilar should be immediately discredited. I stopped reading after that.
  • Old Man likes this

#34 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:02 PM

Aguilar is the type of signing the 2005 Orioles would make, not a team expecting "lift-off".  If he is on the roster on opening day  I will be very disappointed. 

#35 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:03 PM

Any article that begins with whether the Orioles should seriously consider bringing back Jesus Aguilar should be immediately discredited. I stopped reading after that.

Agreed. If you're going to write this article, actually pose 3 questions the fans are really wondering about. Because ain't nobody asking with hopeful optimism, will the O's resign Aguilar. 

#36 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:29 PM

Agreed. If you're going to write this article, actually pose 3 questions the fans are really wondering about. Because ain't nobody asking with hopeful optimism, will the O's resign Aguilar. 

We need answers to questions like.

#1 - Will our Baltimore season tickets, transfer to Nashville when the team moves. :)

#37 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:32 PM

We need answers to questions like.

#1 - Will our Baltimore season tickets, transfer to Nashville when the team moves. :)

Right?

The real questions that are on our minds :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=