610 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 11:34 AM

I like having a game on Thursday but they're so terrible so often. Totally understand the criticism of the product and the risk of injury for playing on such a short turnaround.

I still can't figure out why they haven't switched to a no-preseason, 18-game, 20-week schedule and require that every Thursday game be one between teams coming off of a bye.  

• BaltBird 24, JStruds and Old Man like this

#22 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 25 October 2022 - 02:07 PM

I like having a game on Thursday but they're so terrible so often. Totally understand the criticism of the product and the risk of injury for playing on such a short turnaround.

I still can't figure out why they haven't switched to a no-preseason, 18-game, 20-week schedule and require that every Thursday game be one between teams coming off of a bye.

Been saying that last part for years now. Only problem from my perspective is the traditional Thanksgiving teams would need to have the same bye week every season. Not insurmountable, but still there.

#23 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:16 PM

But he's 45, going through some personal issues, and generally seems less interested than he used to.

I’m heartbroken. :)
@BSLMikeRandall

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:18 PM

Been saying that last part for years now. Only problem from my perspective is the traditional Thanksgiving teams would need to have the same bye week every season. Not insurmountable, but still there.

Pretty sure I’m done seeing the Lions and Cowboys on Thanksgiving. It’s only two fan bases that probably care, and the Cowboys fans probably don’t care at all cause the Lakers might be on that night anyway.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#25 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:55 PM

I’m a sucker for tradition. Love the Thanksgiving Thursday games in Dallas and Detroit.

Also love the TNF cuz you can bet on it.

Highly endorse Mack’s idea of every TNF team playing that game off a BYE but it seems odd to have a TNF game week 2 with teams already having a BYE?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 06:44 PM

I’m a sucker for tradition. Love the Thanksgiving Thursday games in Dallas and Detroit.

Also love the TNF cuz you can bet on it.

Highly endorse Mack’s idea of every TNF team playing that game off a BYE but it seems odd to have a TNF game Week 2 with teams already having a BYE?

Could skip TNF during week 2. Could have teams with Week 1 byes, may have to since you need to fit 64 byes into 20 weeks, but agree that's awkward (they did it before the Browns expansion when there were 31 teams and someone had to be on bye ever week). Or could do a doubleheader week 1 and then two of those 4 teams play each other week 2 also on Thursday.

#27 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 08:18 PM

I'd say just go back to only having Thursday games on Thanksgiving.  It made it kind of special for Thanksgiving.   They could lose TNF for every week and I wouldn't mind it at all.  I think the NFL is overexposing itself.  And their Thursday night games have really sucked anyway.  

• BaltBird 24, russsnyder, mdrunning and 1 other like this

#28 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 03:21 AM

TNF is just a bad idea all around.

Having these guys playing consistently on a short week is ludicrous. (The league really cares about player safety?)

Also, the quality of the product has been severely lacking this season. That said, I'll be watching tomorrow night.

• BaltBird 24 and Old Man like this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#29 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 05:32 AM

As long as the NFL is making money, TNF isn't going anywhere.  And it's really laughable when they're tooting their own horns about how much they care about player safety.  These guys are in a perpetual state of over training as it is but to make them come back after a game and play 4 days later is outright insanity.  The players hate it, the fans probably could care less if it even existed and as some of you have said, outside of Thanksgiving and the tradition behind it, it's just an exercise in futility.  But the league certainly isn't losing any money by having these games because if they were, they'd drop them. 

• BaltBird 24, russsnyder and Old Man like this

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 06:57 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens prepare for Tom Brady, one of the most significant opponents in their history, for perhaps the final time

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 06:57 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens vs. Buccaneers scouting report for Week 8: Who has the edge?

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 06:58 AM

Ravens WR Rashod Bateman misses practice with foot injury, but two starters return

#33 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 07:24 AM

Warren Moon says the Bucs need to sign Gronk, ASAP

#34 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 09:32 AM

I'm fine with Thursday night football as a concept. I'm sure the league could improve the impact it has on player's recovery by skipping the first few weeks and then integrating it with bye weeks, so instead of playing on 3 days rest, it's following a bye and instead gives each squad more like 10 days on either side of the game. Plus they'd be divisional matchups more (if connected more to bye weeks) and would probably produce more interesting games most weeks.

The Amazon Prime broadcast is horrible quality. And long term the NFL is going to hurt it's revenue by reducing accessibility to broadcasts. Maximize exposure to a good product and you'll hook and keep more interest...

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 09:45 AM

The Amazon Prime broadcast is horrible quality. And long term the NFL is going to hurt it's revenue by reducing accessibility to broadcasts. Maximize exposure to a good product and you'll hook and keep more interest...

Do more people have NFL Network on cable or Amazon Prime?  Amazon Prime is pretty damn close to a utility at this point.

• makoman likes this

#36 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 09:49 AM

The game is being telecast on Channel 2 (WMAR) for those of you who were pissed they were going to miss it because of the whole Prime thing.  I do have Prime but there's no way I'm staying up to those ungodly hours.  At least now, I can still DVR it and watch the game. (if they win) 

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 10:15 AM

Saw on GMFB that the Bucs have the worst rushing offense in the SB era. 66.4 Y/G.

2.6 YPC since week 2.
@BSLMikeRandall

#38 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 10:50 AM

I'm fine with Thursday night football as a concept. I'm sure the league could improve the impact it has on player's recovery by skipping the first few weeks and then integrating it with bye weeks, so instead of playing on 3 days rest, it's following a bye and instead gives each squad more like 10 days on either side of the game. Plus they'd be divisional matchups more (if connected more to bye weeks) and would probably produce more interesting games most weeks.

I have turned off so many Thursday night games simply because it freezes up every 10 minutes because I'm on a streaming platform. With all of these production issues I can't believe this is going too well.

#39 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 10:58 AM

I cant begin to think about Thanksgiving football, without an image of a 4 leg turkey coming to mind.

UDK26JDOW5EWRMSOR2PLKPHZ34.jpg

https://www.sporting...of1ly0dj2y2w841

#40 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:06 PM

Saw on GMFB that the Bucs have the worst rushing offense in the SB era. 66.4 Y/G.

2.6 YPC since week 2.

That does surprise me since I figured Stevenson was having a solid year running the ball.  Not having a mobile quarterback in today's game doesn't help either.  I guess it explains Brady throwing over 40 times. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=