Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles roundtable: Biggest offseason need, most surprising player and predicting next year’s breakout performer

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 October 2022 - 08:38 AM

This is very repetitive for me, but I'll just put it here as well.

The O's have a reasonable option for all the positions. However, I do not want to see all these guys be handed starting spots. I'm also good with some competition for playing time.

To be more clear, this is "all these guys" in order of least to most desire to give a starting spot to:

Hays
Mateo
Mountcastle
Stowers
Westburg (maybe this could be Norby instead? Basically if one is struggling, then the other is likely next man up)

Plus here's the players that are mostly or totally locked in to a starting spot: Adley, Gunnar, Cedric, Anthony.

So I'm good with any of those players in the top group starting, but I'd like to see one, maybe two upgrades to push a player or two into either a trade, a depth/competition/platoon role (Urias and Vavra could fit in here as well or be traded), or the minors.

Then to the rotation, again bring in one or two very good or better starters.

If it's two, then only one position player upgrade becomes a lot more palatable and even no upgrades may be acceptable depending on the quality of these starting pitchers.

Backup catcher and maybe a high leverage reliever would be smaller acquisitions I'd be interested in.

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 08:56 AM

I do think finding a solid backup C is pretty important. I could live with just one LH bat upgrade. Ideally we do more more on the offensive side but I can live with going out and signing Josh Bell or trading for Ian Happ. Im coming around on handing Stowers a starting job. If it doesnt work out you can trade for a guy at the break. So Happ to replace Hays or Bell to replace Mountcastle or have Bell DH and keep Santander in the OF. I dont know if there are many vet options to fill 2b. Im assuming that will be a battle between Urias, Westburg, Norby, and Ortiz. All 4 of them obviously arent being traded.

I do think we should go ahead and rule out any of the big name guys that are going to get huge longterm deals. This ownership just isn't committing longterm money to anyone considering whats going on with them. I see no reason why Elias wouldnt be able to commit a huge stack of money to say Verlander for 2 years though

#43 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 09:24 AM

I'm not going to spend time analyzing what's going to be out there in the offseason but if I'm Elias, I'm going to scour to the ends of the earth and find at least two guys who consistently get on base. I wouldn't settle for anyone who has an OBP under .360. That's the biggest problem with this team offensively. Way too many free swingers who have no clue what a strike is and how to draw walks. I would be going full moneyball on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=