195 replies to this topic

#21 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 April 2023 - 10:26 AM

Every player they’ve drafted first has batted LH and 3 of 4 were college players. In that vein I’m guessing one of:

1. Jacob Gonzalez SS Mississippi (probably not there at 17)

2. Kyle Teel C Virginia

3. Colton Ledbetter OF Mississippi state

4. Brayden Taylor TCU

I know he’s RH but I like Brock Wilken.

#22 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 11:58 PM

I know he’s RH but I like Brock Wilken.

Big RH power bat but maybe won’t stick at 3B. Doesn’t seem like their type to me.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#23 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 07:26 AM

Baseball America mock draft 2.0 has RH hitting HS SS Arjun Nimmala falling to us at #17. Some other places have him going top 10. He’s a high upside potential power hitting player who has a decent chance of staying at SS. He is also just 17 with an October birthday. The Orioles have played the age card heavily in their college draftees with Norby, Rhodes, Trimble, Beavers, and Wagner.

I keep getting a Brayden Taylor feeling though. A LH hitting 3B thought to be a top ten pick coming into the season having a good year but only hitting .281. Low averages didn’t dissuade the Orioles from drafting Rhodes or Beavers. Taylor showed power in Cape Cod and the Orioles seem to put a lot of stock in some prior track record with wood bats. This would put Taylor and Matt Shaw, the RH hitting Maryland SS (2B in pro ball) into the picture.

Nimmala would be an exciting high upside/high risk pick. Taylor or Shaw safer. I still suspect it’s a college position player.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#24 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 May 2023 - 06:19 PM

https://www.mlb.com/...-draft-coverage

17. Orioles: Yohandy Morales, 3B, Miami (No. 23)

One of the college bats who seems to be floating up boards, and for good reason: Morales is now slashing .402/.471/.656 with a dozen homers.

she/her

#25 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 May 2023 - 12:15 PM

If I just had to pick someone, I'd probably go with Bryce Eldridge.  That's an interesting profile.

I've made many past comments on 'the quad' I'd bet on.  If I was picking a profile this year I'd go with a black HS pitcher that is a Boras client.  Who is that?  I'll project him.  [6/12: I think I'll go with Cameron Johnson.]

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 07:22 PM

Phelan who are some of the names around 17 who fit the Os profile. I could see them breaking trends at 17 btw. But for now give me some high exit velo guys. Up the middle defenders. LH hitters.

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 07:24 PM

Not sure about the exit velos but Shaw seems to fit some categories. The lefty hitting HS C Mitchell fits.

#28 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2023 - 08:21 PM

Matt Shaw
Arjun Nimmala
Aiden Miller
Brock Wilken
Colton Ledbetter
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 June 2023 - 08:38 PM

Colton Ledbetter sounds like a Bond villain
  • Hooded Viper likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#30 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 08:50 PM

Colton Ledbetter sounds like a Bond villain

He sounds like the drummer in the fan fiction version of Pearl Jam. 

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 08:55 PM

Ledbetter seems like a guy who will go higher than where MLB has him ranked but 17 may be too high. Will be intriguing to see their approach drafting outside the top 5. At least in the first round.

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 08:57 PM

Nimmala in particular feels like a guy they would love but hard to see him getting to 17.

#33 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 09:38 PM

If I just had to pick someone, I'd probably go with Bryce Eldridge.  That's an interesting profile.

I've made many past comments on 'the quad' I'd bet on.  If I was picking a profile this year I'd go with a black HS pitcher that is a Boras client.  Who is that?  I'll project him.

Keith Law agrees with you.

17. Baltimore Orioles – Bryce Eldridge, 1B/RHP, James Madison High (Vienna, Va.)

Eldridge is an exit velocity darling but also a great athlete with a plus arm, and the Orioles have gone after those exit velo guys with high picks in recent years. With Jackson Holliday doing what he’s doing in High A, I would have to think the Orioles would be very willing to go back to the high school ranks.

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 09:40 PM

Eldridge may be too raw but again picking 17 is what makes it more intriguing for the Os.

#35 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 June 2023 - 05:38 PM

Keith Law agrees with you.

You take that back.

#36 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 June 2023 - 06:42 PM

Eldridge may be too raw but again picking 17 is what makes it more intriguing for the Os.

I mean they've drafted almost entirely college guys with a high floor so far and it's seemed to be going well, I think they can afford to shoot for the moon for at least one pick. 

she/her

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:01 AM

CBS Sports: 2023 MLB Mock Draft: Dylan Crews, Paul Skenes go early; playoff-close teams could look to college players

https://www.cbssport...ollege-players/

2023 MLB Draft top 30 prospect rankings: LSU's Dylan Crews, Florida's Wyatt Langford expected to go early

https://www.cbssport...ed-to-go-early/

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 04:22 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles mock draft roundup: Pitcher, potential two-way player among candidates at No. 17 overall

#39 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 09:50 AM

Law's updated mock draft.

17. Baltimore Orioles — Arjun Nimmala, SS, Strawberry Crest HS (FL)

DOB: 10-16-2005 | Height: 6-1 | Weight: 170

All the rumors here are bats, mostly high school, including Nimmala, Bryce Eldridge, and the very obvious Nolan Schanuel as a stats darling. One source threw out the possibility that they might go after Noble Meyer if he gets here, even with Mike Elias’ known disinclination to take pitching in the first round, because he’d represent unusual upside and value at pick 17 – exactly the spot where Elias took Forrest Whitley as Houston’s scouting director – and he has some excellent pitch characteristics.

Scouting ReportNimmala is one of the youngest players in the entire draft class, as he won’t turn 18 until November, which will appeal to all the teams that value age in their draft models. But he’s also very talented and would still be a first-rounder even if he were 18 already. Nimmala is a lean 6-1 and already shows above-average power with a strong swing that makes excellent use of his hips to generate that contact quality. He’s a rangy shortstop with good hands and an easy plus arm, and although he’s probably just an average runner in the end, he’s certain to stay at the position long term. Where he falls short of the high school hitters above him in my rankings is in his present hit tool, as he’s shown more propensity to swing and miss than his peers (though he seems to hit velocity fine). If he didn’t have that, he’d be in that uppermost tier of players, since he’d have the hit tool, power and defense at a critical position. Instead, he offers the potential for that sort of player with a slightly longer timeframe, and greater risk around his ability to hit when he enters pro ball.

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 09:53 AM

Would love Nimmala but Ill be surprised if he gets to 17.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=