41 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:56 PM

Whoa, cracked $50 million! I have a nosebleed.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#22 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:34 PM

Add Givens, 1/5, to the bullpen.

Update: as information comes out, it's actually 1/3 with a 6M mutual option if accepted by both sides or 1/4 or 1/5 depending on who rejects the option year.

For the purposes of this exercise, I'll reflect in the lead post as 1/3 for 2023.  There may be other consequences later.

#23 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 December 2022 - 12:45 PM

Update: McCann trade with Mets, 2/24, Mets paying 19M so 2.5M/year.

Just a side note, but some sites only reflect the total roster costs so for the macro lists, the Orioles may get "credit" for +12M total payroll here.  It's a silly little thing, but when Ruiz's first comment on the Frazier signing is "29th to 28th", there are clearly people that care about that stuff for whatever reasons.

Edit 2 JAN: I saw on COTs where they have an uneven split in the money the Mets are providing the Orioles and it appears the Orioles will pay McCann 1M this season and 4M next season (Mets covering 11M this and 8M next), I will reflect that in the lead post and continue to update if other information emerges.

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 01:44 PM

$4.1M for Mullins

$7.4M for Santander

$1.5M for Tate

$1.4M for O'Hearn

Today is the deadline to exchange arbitration numbers.  No word yet on an agreement or numbers for Mateo, Hays, or Voth.

#25 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 02:03 PM

$4.1M for Mullins

$7.4M for Santander

$1.5M for Tate

$1.4M for O'Hearn

Today is the deadline to exchange arbitration numbers.  No word yet on an agreement or numbers for Mateo, Hays, or Voth.

Updated.  I went ahead and put O'Hearn and his 1.4M on the bench in the lead post (although he's not on the 40)

Dan Connolly and Andy Kostka breaking Orioles news.

Also,

Mateo reported for 2.0M.

Hays reported for 3.2M.

Voth lone remaining ARB case to resolve.

• Mackus likes this

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:04 PM

$3.2M for Hays

$2M for Mateo

Voth the last left to get done.

• dude likes this

#27 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:07 PM

Connolly reporting they did not reach an agreement and will exchange numbers for arbitration.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:11 PM

Connolly reporting they did not reach an agreement and will exchange numbers for arbitration.

His agent is probably telling him to ask for more, pumping him up on the belief that he's better than Pablo Lopez :)

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:46 PM

Nice job getting the arbitration deals done. 

Is Santander the second highest paid guy on the team??

@mikeghg

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:47 PM

No doubt due to the enormous disparity between his partial-season with Washington vs his numbers with the O's.

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:47 PM

Third. Gibson and Frazier both get more.

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:49 PM

Nope. That honor goes to Chris Davis.  ;)

And Frazier will make a little more than Santander too.

• Mike B likes this

#33 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:38 PM

I know you're joking around, but 2022 was Davis's last year on his contract.  The Orioles are paying him some of that this year because they deferred out the 2022 salary over 2023 and 2024 to just retire.  We don't know what the actual breakout is (I don't think it's ever been official) but Davis, in the 5-6M range this year, would be the 4th highest paid.

Thank goodness we didn't just clean that 22M off last year when we had among the lowest payrolls in MLB.

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:44 PM

And Frazier will make a little more than Santander too.

I thought of Davis, but wrote him off, because he is no longer a player.

I forgot about the Frazier price tag.

@mikeghg

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 06:55 PM

I know you're joking around, but 2022 was Davis's last year on his contract.  The Orioles are paying him some of that this year because they deferred out the 2022 salary over 2023 and 2024 to just retire.  We don't know what the actual breakout is (I don't think it's ever been official) but Davis, in the 5-6M range this year, would be the 4th highest paid.

Thank goodness we didn't just clean that 22M off last year when we had among the lowest payrolls in MLB.

The only part of that where I was joking is that Davis no longer counts as a player.

But per Spotrac, he is set to be paid more than any other current player except Kyle Gibson. While the Orioles do have to pay him $5.6M as part of the settlement for 2022, you left out that this is the first year he will also start being paid $3.5M/yr in deferred payments. So he'll be paid $9.1M total this year (as well as 2024-25, then the $5.6M settlement payment for 2022 ends, but the deferred payments go on for quite some time).

• dude likes this

#36 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 07:02 PM

That's fair to look at it that way. I sort of separate the deferred portion from the base portion, but when you combine them (2023 extra from 2022 is technically deferred too) he is the second highest paid.

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 07:09 PM

Interesting things you discover when digging into Spotrac. Today I learned that while the Orioles are picking up just $5M of McCann's salary over the next two seasons, they are only paying $1M of that this season, and will pay him $4M in 2024.

The Angelos's sure love kicking the can down the road as far as they can.

#38 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 January 2023 - 06:20 PM

I guess they go to arbitration, but the difference is 300k.

Voth (2.0M) : Orioles (1.7M)

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 03:13 PM

$1.85M for Voth.  Split the difference between the sides.

Also added a $2.45M team option (which could increase to $2.95M with incentives), which is strange, since the team had an option anyways in the form of service time.  Voth is only at 3+ years of service, so he would've had two more years of club control after 2023.  Even if the O's pick up the option for 2024, he'll still have a final arb year in 2025. 

I don't know why Voth would allow the team option on the deal and not have just signed for 1 year, because even if the O's decline his option they should still be able to offer him arbitration in 2024.  This basically caps his 2024 salary at ~$3M without giving him any security.  Maybe the deal has language that they have to non-tender him if they don't pick it up?  That would make it make a bit more sense.

• BobPhelan and makoman like this

#40 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 03:16 PM

$1.85M for Voth.  Split the difference between the sides.

Also added a $2.45M team option (which could increase to $2.95M with incentives), which is strange, since the team had an option anyways in the form of service time.  Voth is only at 3+ years of service, so he would've had two more years of club control after 2023.  Even if the O's pick up the option for 2024, he'll still have a final arb year in 2025. 

I don't know why Voth would allow the team option on the deal and not have just signed for 1 year, because even if the O's decline his option they should still be able to offer him arbitration in 2024.  This basically caps his 2024 salary at ~$3M without giving him any security.  Maybe the deal has language that they have to non-tender him if they don't pick it up?  That would make it make a bit more sense.

So much for file and trial.

I agree the deal seems like it looks weird for him, unless it's either option or FA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=