98 replies to this topic

#81 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 04:27 PM

You could. But I see those guys as high ceiling but high risk. They are not near established enough to give me much comfort they are a pennant winning rotation.

That's also only 4 guys. You need 5 every week and probably 7 or 8 minimum to get through the season.

#82 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 October 2022 - 07:35 PM

Verlander is an upgrade over anything in our system even at his advanced age. Coming to Baltimore? Wouldn't bet my money on it.

Well money is exactly how they can likely convince him otherwise.

Now he's made a ton of money and may be content to stay in Houston even while giving up substantial money, but I'd make him give it up.

#83 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 08:35 PM

I have some faith that Elias has and has had a budget and is now able to raise it significantly. 

#84 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 02:06 PM

Well money is exactly how they can likely convince him otherwise.

Now he's made a ton of money and may be content to stay in Houston even while giving up substantial money, but I'd make him give it up.

This is the Orioles we're talking about

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:11 PM

The big bad daunting AL East is 0-4 to begin the playoffs. Only the evil empire left.

#86 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 04:06 PM

Verlander would be huge in terms of production and an example for the young guys! Would really throw a lot of money at him for a 2-3 year deal. He saw first hand what this team did to Houston so it isn’t like he isn’t familiar with the team. Money talks.

Very interested in trading for Mike Trout. Put him in RF, Santander at DH and let Hays, Stowers and Cowser battle for LF.

Interested in thoughts on availability, cost and if you would make the trade!
  • Mike B likes this

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 04:30 PM

Orioles have plenty of $ available, but I would think Houston would make every effort to keep him...and no state tax. How much more would the Orioles have to offer to overcome that and familiarity?

Anyone would love to have Trout in a vaccum. With the money owed to him maybe the player capital would only be so much. If the player cost remains high, then I'm not excited about giving up a lot and taking on the contract...as he has had injury issues in his late 20s / early 30s that will only become more likely here in the rest of his 30s.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#88 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 October 2022 - 11:35 AM

I looked up Trout. $37M/ a year through his age 40 season. The Angels would have to chip in a good part of that salary, if they wanted me to give them anything in return. And then you have to sign someone to platoon with him, because it's been many years since he was able to give a full season. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#89 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 October 2022 - 12:10 PM

Verlander would be huge in terms of production and an example for the young guys! Would really throw a lot of money at him for a 2-3 year deal. He saw first hand what this team did to Houston so it isn’t like he isn’t familiar with the team. Money talks.

Very interested in trading for Mike Trout. Put him in RF, Santander at DH and let Hays, Stowers and Cowser battle for LF.

Interested in thoughts on availability, cost and if you would make the trade!

Interesting to say the least.I was hoping for Verlander last year, but my hunch is he stays in Houston.  He may suspect the Orioles may be good, but he knows Houston is.  Plus he is going to get paid anyway.

Trout is intriguing.  He has mentioned a few times that he might like to finish his career on the East Coast, since he grew up in southern New Jersey.  We would probably have to pay through the nose in prospects., if we wanted to get the Angels pay part of that massive contract, plus his back issues would be a concern.

I don't think the Orioles get either, but it is an idea with merit in both cases.

@mikeghg

#90 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 October 2022 - 12:26 PM

Trout with his back injuries is better than anything we have on the roster by a lot. I sign him in a heartbeat if we could....which I doubt.

#91 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 October 2022 - 03:49 PM

Mike Trout isn't getting traded.  He's not available.

#92 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:06 PM

Mike Trout isn't getting traded.  He's not available.

May be correct but I keep hearing guys on MLB for the last several months saying that they are going to have to choose between Trout and Otahni....they seem to think that no way the LAA can afford both of those guys.....figuring they would be pushing a $1B worth of contracts. Insane.

#93 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:15 PM

Trout would make the HOF first ballot if he retired today but his career is going to be more along the “what could have been scenarios”. Kind of like Griffey in that regard. Injuries zap a generational talent as they get later into their career. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#94 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:37 PM

May be correct but I keep hearing guys on MLB for the last several months saying that they are going to have to choose between Trout and Otahni....they seem to think that no way the LAA can afford both of those guys.....figuring they would be pushing a $1B worth of contracts. Insane.

LAA will be one of the more interesting Teams to track.  Trout didn't extend there to leave, he could have already left.  Ohtani needs to decide if he wants to stay near his agency on the west-coast or take a swing at the NY-market.  That would be prime Steve Cohen territory and he could take Rendon as part of a deal.  Ohtani needs to decide.  

Neither Trout or Ohtani want to come to Baltimore.

#95 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:42 PM

If the Orioles were going to hunt big fish (money and prospects) they could have landed Juan Soto. 

They were no-where to be found, traded off some of their own guys THEN acted like they were going to do something.

Silent when you can act and talk big when the opportunities are gone.  Not an accident.

#96 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:44 PM

Trout has 10-5 rights, so if he doesn't want to go anywhere, he's not going anywhere.

#97 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 October 2022 - 11:05 PM

If you want to improve the perceived floor/risk of the starters, let's go get Brandon Woodruff from the Brewers (we can discuss that more) but you are likely trading out Kremer to do something like that.  That doesn't change your depth, it might change your floor...but their ERAs were the same in 2022...so I'm not sure it moves the upside much at all. 

Woodruff

Manaea (Means)

GRod

Voth (Hall)

Bradish

Sure, its possible to find some cheaper or in-house option that might pitch as well as an expensive addition.  The one sigma thing that you talk about will have some overlap for a $25M arm and a $10M arm and even areas where the cheaper guy is ahead.  But that's not the most probable outcome.  I'm hoping to build as good of a team as possible next year.  Push the center of those bell curves as high up as I can.  Punting on improving the SP would not achieve that goal.

I don't disagree with what you're talking about the curves, I just think there's more overlap than you are assigning.  

It's the Woodruff versus Kremer thing in the post above what you wrote.  I'm all for that move, but it's entirely possible it works out poorly.  Woodruff is better in every respect, but he costs more to acquire, you need to commit money to get the time to match (or not worry about it).

Brewers have over a dozen arbitration cases. They are going to need to do some things to align their roster this offseason.  Commitments to Yelich means they aren't likely to quit and start over (no point in that), so they need some trade partners to accomplish different things. Woodruff is ARB2 and MLBTR has him projected at 11M (let's use that).  Woodruff has outperformed expectations in 2018 (we can probably find a thread discussing him for Schoop).  Kremer had some solid expectations and then failed horribly, but bounced back in 2022 to pitch very well.  The Teams are in different positions and can trade out performance risk for cost risk.  The Brewers would get a lot more in that exchange, but it (or something like it) IS available and there's certainly ways to make it happen.       

There's certainly things you can do to improve quality, but there is real opportunity without it, if we do the other things.  I'm not against doing more.  They aren't going to do more and they probably don't even do the minimum, but we'll sEve. 

#98 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:45 AM

Dud Gunnar retain rookie status for 2023?

#99 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 11:09 AM

116 ABs and 36 days of service time (I think), so yes.

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=