MASN: Elias: "I feel like this team is officially in the fight in the AL East"

https://www.masnspor...I5BJv7xmUYE5i28

#2 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:26 PM

He was dodgy and wishy-washy on the types of additions he sees possible. In and of itself, that's OK. I don't expect an exec to speak in specifics. I only mention it, because it seems meek compared to his "lift off" message earlier this summer. When speaking in future terms, he was carrying himself like a rock star about to drop bank. Now that he's quickly approaching that point, it's all "if we can" talk. That's like the guy who goes to happy hour, and keeps it going until 2 AM, "that's morning guy's problem" 

A real complaint I have, is all the "it's tough to compete in the AL east" No it's not. you just have to want to. And that's something this ownership group has rarely had a taste for. So to me, it just sounds like the continuation of the tired Angelos family excuses.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:52 PM

Obviously we're not going to be told, but what's the budget that they will be working with?  That is the key.  There is very little on the books for 2023, so there is no reason we can't add $75-100M in 2023 salary commitments through free agency and trade.  I think there is probably a good option that leads to smaller additions, but anything much under $50M in additional player salary for 2023 will be hard to sell as actually giving a crap and trying.

Aside from SP, I do think he's absolutely right that they've got an interesting internal candidate for every position so they aren't beholden to going after any one particular upgrade.  That huge flexibility means that it'll be absolutely unacceptable for them to not make big upgrades offensively, however they go about doing it, and we all agree that it would be absolutely unacceptable for them to not make big upgrades to the pitching staff.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:55 PM

He also said around the same time as the "lift off" comment that "a lot" of the increase to the payroll for 2023 will go to raises for those already on the roster. So, yeah.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:02 PM

He also said around the same time as the "lift off" comment that "a lot" of the increase to the payroll for 2023 will go to raises for those already on the roster. So, yeah.

Even if they extend Adley and Henderson, you're talking about a total of about $25M for all the arb guys (Means, Mullins, Santander, Mateo, Tate, Hays, Voth) and then another 20ish league-minimum players for a budget around $40M.  That would actually be going backwards from 2022. 

So get all that done and you've still gotta add something nearing $50M in new money or else they absolutely are not trying.  There are so many different combos that they can pursue to improve the team, the possibilities will certainly exist to make meaningful additions.  I don't think there will be much room for debate whether they really are trying or not, we'll know.

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:07 PM

Adding 100+ million in payroll should be on the table. I'm not saying they have to do that, but scenarios where they do should be under consideration.

Get 2-3 studs, maybe a high end reliever, and a backup catcher.
  • Mackus likes this

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:20 PM

Even if they extend Adley and Henderson, you're talking about a total of about $25M for all the arb guys (Means, Mullins, Santander, Mateo, Tate, Hays, Voth) and then another 20ish league-minimum players for a budget around $40M.  That would actually be going backwards from 2022. 

So get all that done and you've still gotta add something nearing $50M in new money or else they absolutely are not trying.  There are so many different combos that they can pursue to improve the team, the possibilities will certainly exist to make meaningful additions.  I don't think there will be much room for debate whether they really are trying or not, we'll know.

I forget the exact timing of when he said that. Maybe it was before the trade deadline and he thought they might still  pay Lopez his Arb 3 salary. Or maybe he was throwing in Lyles' option for whatever reason. Or maybe it was just a random thought that rolled off his tongue at the moment.

I don't have a link to the quote where he said that, but I recall the tenor of the interview was such that he wanted fans to be excited for the future and know that they intended to improve the roster via more spending. Given that, it felt like an odd caveat to throw out there - especially as you cite, the increases due for the guys already on the team are relatively small.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:30 PM

https://forum.baltim...e/#entry1025816

Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll, a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively.

I guess what's "a lot" mean as a fraction?  The arbitration awards will likely be under $25M for a group of players that made around $10M in '22, so that is at most a $15M increase. 

I wouldn't expect any sort of precise statement from Elias here.  I think he may just be incapable of not talking about all the facets of a thing, so the mention of arbitration increases could just be a note for the sake of thoroughness that the arbitration process is a part of the team payroll and not that the $15M that the payroll will balloon due to arbitration increases represents a significant chunk of the total increase in payroll from 2022 to 2023.

In any case, I don't really care what he says.  Just go get it done and I'll judge based on that.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:00 PM

Elias is on the broadcast right now.

@mikeghg

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:01 PM

Elias is on the broadcast right now.

He didn't mention how much money the Angeloses are going to let him spend, did he?

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:02 PM

He didn't mention how much money the Angeloses are going to let him spend, did he?

Did you really think he or any GM in any sport would

@mikeghg

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:06 PM

He just said they will supplement and augment this team with the budget they would have,  It can be any position.

It sounds like trades are a real possibilty.

@mikeghg

#13 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:10 PM

On the subject of making additions and the interesting, internal players. I can't see any reason not to sign an impact player at SS. If an internal guy is unexpectedly early in arriving, trade away the FA they signed. I'm giving Elias credit before the fact, but I assume he won't make a ridiculous FA mistake. So any player acquired should be easily moved when a prospect is ready to take over. 

I'm not sure how stocked they are at 2B, but that looks like another position that could be upgraded. 

But I admit that I'll miss Odor. He's just an OK player, but he's a fantastic clubhouse presence. 

#14 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:11 PM

Did you really think he or any GM in any sport would

I think that was a tongue in cheek question ;)

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:26 PM

Turner to play 2B and Mateo staying at SS is an idea I like. Get Abreu and a #1 SP (Verlander or Rodon) as well and we're in business! Payroll around $150M.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:32 PM

Turner to play 2B and Mateo staying at SS is an idea I like. Get Abreu and a #1 SP (Verlander or Rodon) as well and we're in business!

I'm concerned about Mateo's light bat. If we get strong production elsewhere, that can make up for his offense, then I'd want to go that route. His D and speed are a real asset.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:32 PM

If they spend meaningful money, it'll be on a position player. A #1 starter is a pipe dream. More likely they'll get another Lyles-type for the rotation (maybe a little better version this time) and snag waiver/Rule 5 guys in hopes someone turns out to be the 2023 version of Dean Kremer.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:38 PM

I'm concerned about Mateo's light bat. If we get strong production elsewhere, that can make up for his offense, then I'd want to go that route. His D and speed are a real asset.

Trusting Mateo is very scary but the nice thing is that if he falters you've got Henderson as a built in backup plan (Urias sliding in for Henderson). That's before adding a major SS, some of those guys straight replace Mateo but Turner or Bogaerts could move.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:42 PM

If they spend meaningful money, it'll be on a position player. A #1 starter is a pipe dream. More likely they'll get another Lyles-type for the rotation (maybe a little better version this time) and snag waiver/Rule 5 guys in hopes someone turns out to be the 2023 version of Dean Kremer.

I won't talk to what is likely, but any plan that doesn't add a front end guy (not necessarily unquestioned ace) is a total failure. Trading for such a guy rather than signing as a FA is fine.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and bmore_ken like this

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:49 PM

I won't talk to what is likely, but any plan that doesn't add a front end guy (not necessarily unquestioned ace) is a total failure. Trading for such a guy rather than signing as a FA is fine.

I just think they've shown their hand with regard to financial investment in pitching. It's an organization-wide approach that starts with how much they spend (or don't) on draft and international bonuses for pitchers, and it extends up to the big leagues. Maybe they could find someone at the right dollar figure via trade, but then you get into what the cost is in terms of prospects, and I have a hard time seeing them go that route either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=