#781 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

I think people are overrating our offense. Lamar is a stud. Andrews is a stud. After that there are some solid players. The unit is solid overall but has its issues. Lets not make them out to be some well oiled machine. THe 99 Rams they arent. The 2019 Ravens they arent.

Fair point. Either way, the offense is better than the defense. Would you agree?
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#782 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:32 PM

The Bills rushed 4 and the Ravens still had 2 receivers wide open. Meanwhile the line had a numbers advantage and still let 2 guys free. Powers blocked nothing and Faalele let his man beat him on the outside so Powers couldn't help. I don't know what playcall you expect to work here if 3/5 offensive linemen fail to do their job.

I would've preferred we rolled Lamar out so it would be easier to run if things break down. Especially knowing that the Bills pass rush had been better in the 2nd half, I didn't like Lamar on a straight drop back in a do or die situation but you make a fair point.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#783 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:32 PM

The bottom line for me is I hate the feeling that we are wasting prime Lamar years. Im not sure how his career will go in his late 20s and 30s but as it stands right now he is a dynamic Hall of Fame worthy talent and we are wasting it.

I don't disagree with a lot of this. Lamar is earning a record deal right now.

#784 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:33 PM

Fair point. Either way, the offense is better than the defense. Would you agree?

Of course. The offense is a solid unit. The D is pretty bad. Maybe really bad.

#785 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:34 PM

Of course. The offense is a solid unit. The D is pretty bad. Maybe really bad.

The numbers don’t lie.

#786 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:36 PM

Of course. The offense is a solid unit. THe D is pretty bad. Maybe really bad.

I'm going to take a deep dive into the drives at the end of the halves and the end of games. I feel like the Ravens have struggled mightily in these 2 areas over the last 2-3 years but that could just be my perception.
  • Biggsy likes this
@primetime667083

#787 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:37 PM

I would've preferred we rolled Lamar out so it would be easier to run if things break down. Especially knowing that the Bills pass rush had been better in the 2nd half, I didn't like Lamar on a straight drop back in a do or die situation but you make a fair point.

I also wish they’d work on the Goal to go from the 1 QB sneak. That’s what I would’ve dialed up before it even got to 4th down. From the 4 yard line, I agree with your thoughts. Even the announcers were saying that. Would also like to know from film folk if the Bills were doing something to take away the shovel look, or if the Ravens just think there’s a law against using something that works more than once or twice a game.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#788 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:39 PM

I'm going to take a deep dive into the drives at the end of the halves and the end of games. I feel like the Ravens have struggled mightily in these 2 areas over the last 2-3 years but that could just be my perception.

It isn’t. Dive in at your own peril. It’s ugly. Especially when you look at it against teams with good QB’s. When they adjust against what the D’s doing, it’s basically game over. Unless Lamar outpaces them.

That said, whoever was making the argument about the offense being somewhat to blame today, gotta agree. Second time in 4 weeks that they’ve disappeared in the 2nd half.

#789 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:41 PM

It doesn't make the Ravens themselves any better but the AFC North is remaining mediocre. The Bengals are coming to town off of a mini bye and the winner has a chance to take control of the division.

Whatever the Ravens need to do this week to get their shit together, they gotta do it. If the players and coaches need to get in the octagon this week and duke it out, so be it. Someone has to step up take responsibility. I'm sick of hearing "that's football" and "tip your cap to the opponent". I mean, I get it and they're not wrong to say that but it's enough already. This team has been making things way to nail biting and blowing leads going back to around the mid point of last season. Something has to change.
@primetime667083

#790 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:42 PM

I will say this though. I stand by that the offense is a solid unit but I think we need to understand how much that is because of Lamar. THe running yards and running game on paper looks so much better because of the yards he picks up either on designed runs or scrambles. THe OL on paper at least as far as sacks and not getting behind the chains looks much better because Lamar can escape pressure and at worst throw the ball away or scramble for a yard or two. When evaluating Lamar, and hes not perfect and still has flaws, we have to understand how often he is able to bail us out. Even if its making it 2nd and 10 vs 2nd and 16. Its not always about the plays that go for big yards or make you say wow

• PrimeTime likes this

#791 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:42 PM

You only have 11 men on the field, sometimes your guy has to win your matchup. Neither of the two rushers was named Von Miller so it's not like they're going to draw a double team. Lamar turns that into a touchdown even if 1 guy loses there. None of the rushers went unblocked, so it wasn't a scheme problem, it was an execution problem.

You're missing the point. It's not that the play they ran couldn't have worked. It's that, yes, there absolutely was a better play that would've given the offense a better chance from 2 yards out.

Other teams run them pretty regularly. The Ravens have run them often in the first half of this season already. Teams literally dedicate practice time to perfecting these very plays.

If anyone here has ever played Madden, you'll recognize this play as Spot. A triangle read to the right with a corner, flat and spot route, the latter two being well covered.

They motioned the back out to a backside slant. From 2 yards out. No rollout or playaction fake or moving the pocket for Lamar. No real run threat on a straight drop.

If Roman already used all of his best short yardage plays from "the vault" earlier in the game, then they should've kicked the FG.

• CantonJester likes this

#792 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:43 PM

Before the Ravens give Lamar a record contract (and I'm not saying they will or won't), they need to stop hitting the uprights with those first-round draft choices. Queen has been a disappointment thus far, Bateman has flashed, but no one's comparing him to Jerry Rice at this point. It's far too early to call Kyle Hamilton a bust, but the fact he wasn't even active for today is telling. So far he hasn't justified his draft status.

When you give someone a big contract, it's incumbent to hit on those high draft picks. They need to not only be starters, but impact starters because they're your cheap labor for the immediate future.

• cprenegade likes this

#793 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:45 PM

Before the Ravens give Lamar a record contract (and I'm not saying they will or won't), they need to stop hitting the uprights with those first-round draft choices. Queen has been a disappointment thus far, Bateman has flashed, but no one's comparing him to Jerry Rice at this point. It's far too early to call Kyle Hamilton a bust, but the fact he wasn't even active for today is telling. So far he hasn't justified his draft status.

When you give someone a big contract, it's incumbent to hit on those high draft picks. They need to not only be starters, but impact starters because they're your cheap labor for the immediate future.

Damn.  Was Hmilton a healthy scratch. Didnt know that. I thought I saw him make at least 1 tackle in the 2nd half

#794 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:47 PM

It isn’t. Dive in at your own peril. It’s ugly. Especially when you look at it against teams with good QB’s. When they adjust against what the D’s doing, it’s basically game over. Unless Lamar outpaces them.

That said, whoever was making the argument about the offense being somewhat to blame today, gotta agree. Second time in 4 weeks that they’ve disappeared in the 2nd half.

I made mention of that but I'm sure I'm not the only one to do so. In both losses, the offense has left way too much on the field. Today in particular, we had the Bills reeling and couldn't put them down in the first half. Of course the phantom OPI call didn't help and probably took 4 points off the board but Lamar also missed a wide open Andrews on the next drive, etc, etc.
@primetime667083

#795 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:48 PM

I made mention of that but I'm sure I'm not the only one to do so. In both losses, the offense has left way too much on the field. Today in particular, we had the Bills reeling and couldn't put them down in the first half. Of course the phantom OPI call didn't help and probably took 4 points off the board but Lamar also missed a wide open Andrews on the next drive, etc, etc.

That Bateman drop on 3rd down too.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#796 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:52 PM

It doesn't make the Ravens themselves any better but the AFC North is remaining mediocre. The Bengals are coming to town off of a mini bye and the winner has a chance to take control of the division.

Whatever the Ravens need to do this week to get their shit together, they gotta do it. If the players and coaches need to get in the octagon this week and duke it out, so be it. Someone has to step up take responsibility. I'm sick of hearing "that's football" and "tip your cap to the opponent". I mean, I get it and they're not wrong to say that but it's enough already. This team has been making things way to nail biting and blowing leads going back to around the mid point of last season. Something has to change.

Being in the AFC North and having a softish schedule is pretty much the only reason I still have hope for a playoff berth. 

#797 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:55 PM

Being in the AFC North and having a softish schedule is pretty much the only reason I still have hope for a playoff berth.

I'm probably being naive and drinking the purple Kool aid but this team SHOULD have the potential to get better. Dobbins is rounding into form, Stanley is tantalizingly close, Bowser should be back soon, Edwards should be back soon, Ojabo could be here mid season. There's definitely ingredients there but the recipe isn't quite right yet. Who knows though....maybe I'm just kidding myself.
@primetime667083

#798 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:56 PM

Hamilton didn't play today?

#799 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:58 PM

Hamilton a healthy scratch, but let’s make sure we give Queen every down, just in case he eventually turns into even a mediocre defender.

#800 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 08:03 PM

I thought I saw him once early but that was the only time. He was active.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=