#42 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 December 2022 - 12:12 AM

If you include Baltimore it’s either him or Ray Lewis for greatest DMV athlete ever.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 07:10 AM

If you include Baltimore it’s either him or Ray Lewis for greatest DMV athlete ever.

Drinking again??

Are we just going with where you played your career vs where you were born and raised? And if we are it would just be the DM athlete. Because F Virginia and their lack of any teams. 

#44 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 07:12 AM

BTW Ive wanted to bet on the Caps for like ever and Herm keeps telling me they are playing all these good teams and scaring me. :grin:

I think he needs to realize they are hot as a firecracker and putting it all together right now

#45 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 09:16 AM

Drinking again??

Are we just going with where you played your career vs where you were born and raised? And if we are it would just be the DM athlete. Because F Virginia and their lack of any teams.

Just where you played. It’s Ovi or Ray. Who’s better?

@bopper33

#46 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 December 2022 - 10:17 AM

Just where you played. It’s Ovi or Ray. Who’s better?

Jordan
Phelps

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 December 2022 - 10:19 AM

An impossible question. Football really sucks at quantifying so many positions.

#48 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 10:33 AM

My question would be where most NHL people think Ovi ranks all time as on overall player

#49 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 11:34 AM

Jordan
Phelps

I don't think Jordan counts though, he was old on the Wizards and not in his prime.  He could still compete, but he wasn't Jordan Jordan.

Phelps is fair though.

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 08:35 PM

Phelps is from here — I meant people who played here in the four major sports.

@bopper33

#51 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 December 2022 - 10:07 AM

More wins and more injuries.  Caps continue to play well having now won 10 of 11 games despite another Cap, Carlson getting hurt after taking a puck to the face/head.  I saw a meme talking about it being the curse of the "A" team alternate captains.  As that's Oshie, Wilson, Backs and now Carlson on the shelf.  

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:37 AM

My question would be where most NHL people think Ovi ranks all time as on overall player

Overall?

Top 5 I think, but shouldn't be in the running for best overall. Probably the best power forward to ever play. Maybe the best sniper if you want to look at it like that, but he's also been fortunate to have been paired with an elite playmaker his whole career, he didn't have to pass and get people involved, he could be one dimensional if he needed to, and he has been sometimes. Never been a Selke type defensive player.

But as far as just straight goal scoring, probably in the running for best of all time. You could say Howe was a more similar type player to him, but he played a lot more. Gretzky was just a different beast, scoring, playmaking, finesse, best of the best. You are comparing to guys like Mario, or Connor McDavid if you are looking current days.

Ovi is fantastic, and we are SO lucky to have had him, but he got lucky he got drafted to a team that was building well and hit on a few other players at the same time. Had he ended up on a lot of other teams he would have been a star player on a bad team, and traded once or twice. It happens a lot. If that's the case, maybe he doesn't end up where he is right now goals wise. He's had help here, and mostly has been consistent his entire run.

@JeremyMStrain

#53 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:49 AM

Would love to know how "experts" generally rank him vs modern guys. Mario or even guys like Messier and Yzerman. Has he clearly passed Crosby at this point?

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:51 AM

I see the athletic is in the middle of doing a modern rankings article. Will be interesting to see where he ends up

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 12:22 PM

Yeah it’s hard in the NHL because you have such different types of players. To look overall like that you have to include their minuses too. Like Sidney was in that Gretzky mold, but the injuries and stuff sapped a lot of his career. Now he’s a solid player but not the legendary player he looked like he would be. The next best shots at that playmaker/scorer combo are McDavid or Matthews. Then you need health to cooperate, and the structure of the team too. Everything has to align. It makes Wayne even that more magical because he went to different teams and didn’t miss a beat until he hit his twilight.

You almost need different categories and then list for each. Playmakers, snipers, power forwards, defensive forwards, offensive defensemen, stay at home defenders, butterfly goalies, athletic goalies. God, I could probably make a hell of a list with those, but what time frame are we talking? All time? Current?
  • DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#56 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 12:25 PM

I didnt realize Gretzky retired relatively young for a hockey player.

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 12:43 PM

I didnt realize Gretzky retired relatively young for a hockey player.

I think it was just the wear and tear of things. He was lucky like Ovi to not have too many injury problems through the years, but I can only imagine what toll that took on him physically.

Even at the end of things, he was still better than 90% of the NHL when he was "washed". He probably could have scored another 100 if he found a contending team that could limit his minutes, give him a ton of PP1 time and he stayed healthy.

I can't imagine anyone ever hitting 1000.

@JeremyMStrain

#58 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:33 PM

I think it was just the wear and tear of things. He was lucky like Ovi to not have too many injury problems through the years, but I can only imagine what toll that took on him physically.

Even at the end of things, he was still better than 90% of the NHL when he was "washed". He probably could have scored another 100 if he found a contending team that could limit his minutes, give him a ton of PP1 time and he stayed healthy.

I can't imagine anyone ever hitting 1000.

https://www.hockey-r.../lemiema01.html

Can you imagine Mario's #'s if he hadn't gotten sick?  Heck even before he got sick he had been dinged up a bit here and there missing  a fair amount of games.  Not a stretch to say he may have been #1 in goals right now.  Now granted Ovi could be close to 900 already as well if it weren't for a season and a half gone because of a lockout and games missed from the pandemic as well.

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 07:58 PM

https://www.hockey-r.../lemiema01.html

Can you imagine Mario's #'s if he hadn't gotten sick? Heck even before he got sick he had been dinged up a bit here and there missing a fair amount of games. Not a stretch to say he may have been #1 in goals right now. Now granted Ovi could be close to 900 already as well if it weren't for a season and a half gone because of a lockout and games missed from the pandemic as well.

I know right?? I was doing my deep top 5s and him, Cam Neely for power forward and Bobby Orr at offensive defensemen were the ones that their careers were way too short. Hell, Orr averaged more PPG than Mario, or Gordie Howe
@JeremyMStrain

#60 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 06:52 PM

Whoa! A 9-spot!

Ovi with a hat trick.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic