#1 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:16 AM

Apparently the Caps are ditching the Organ for the new season.  I'm just going to assume this is a belated April Fools Joke, because you can't have hockey without an organ.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:34 AM

That’s lame. Probably a cost thing. I hate that.

That said, happy to see this thread. I’m excited for the season. Praying the new net tenders are ready. Could be the difference maker.

They open their pre-season against Buffalo on Sunday. The regular season starts in 20 days - Oct. 12th against Boston at home.

Ovi enters the season with 780 career goals.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:48 AM

RMNB: Capitals make final roster cuts, place Brett Leason, Henrik Borgstrom, Lucas

Washington Post: Dylan Strome wants ‘to feel wanted.’ The Caps are giving him that chance.

https://www.washingt...itals-brothers/

Daily Faceoff: 2022-23 NHL team preview: Washington Capitals

https://www.dailyfac...ngton-capitals/

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:04 AM

Not the best start to the season.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2022 - 07:50 AM

Defense looks shaky. New goalies, same crap. But only 2 games.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 October 2022 - 11:15 AM

Defense looks shaky. New goalies, same crap. But only 2 games.

I'm more worried about the offense I think...0-9 on the PP. But yeah the D doesn't look too settled either. We talked about that the past 2 years though, that's Lavi's system for you. I will say that it speaks volumes they haven't talked about extending him going into his lame duck year.

I thought the lineup looks solid. I told you Strome is going to be a monster and should be a resign target asap. I like Protas getting a look out there, he's huge, although I wish he used it more. I like the new goalie from last night better than the COL guy, that's what I was saying before, I don't know why...younger, just looks sharper to me. We'll have to see how things play out, but they might be right back to how they were with a 1A and a 1B.

I guess in theory when Tom gets back that should help things, and if Nicky gets back. Those are two big pieces.

@JeremyMStrain

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2022 - 11:18 AM

Never should’ve been hired in the first place. Nothing against the guy personally, and he’s a good coach overall, but just a bad fit. And if I can see that from my couch, how is it possible Mac can’t? Jeremy, this reeks of a Leonsis hire - after the egg on Mac’s face from the previous hire, who didn’t have HC experience, what are your thoughts?

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 11:24 AM

Never should’ve been hired in the first place. Nothing against the guy personally, and he’s a good coach overall, but just a bad fit. And if I can see that from my couch, how is it possible Mac can’t? Jeremy, this reeks of a Leonsis hire - after the egg on Mac’s face from the previous hire, who didn’t have HC experience, what are your thoughts?

I think it was a combined thing. Leonsis isn't one to not listen to his execs. They wanted a veteran experienced coach after Todd didn't work out, and of the ones on the market I get why they had him in the running. For me, I'd be looking at my roster and the fit though, and I don't think i'd have been thinking high powered all or nothing offense. That's Bruce B. basically and already didn't work out, it's just not playoff hockey, and certainly not in the Eastern Conference.

I mean Trotz is out there intentionally right now, and I don't know if this is one he's got on his radar. He won't say he's done coaching, but I don't know if he'd want to try again here. It's gotta be tough to find someone with a system that both allows for offense, but still plays enough defense to not hang your goalies out to dry all day. I mean Lindgren stood on his head in that first period. 21 shots allowed in ONE period????? Come on. Does that speak to forwards not playing defense, defensemen that are horrible, or just a failure in the system itself? I tend to think it's the last one, seems like we press too hard and get caught off balance giving up rushes the other way. It's a lot like my daughter's soccer team at the moment.

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this
@JeremyMStrain

#9 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:18 PM

The curse of Trotz continues.  Never should have let him go.   I would love to see him back, but at this point I think that ship has sailed. I don't think MacLellan would give him an offer (almost like admitting it was a mistake to let him leave), and if he did I wouldn't fault  Barry if he told him to pound sand.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 07:46 PM

The curse of Trotz continues. Never should have let him go. I would love to see him back, but at this point I think that ship has sailed. I don't think MacLellan would give him an offer (almost like admitting it was a mistake to let him leave), and if he did I wouldn't fault Barry if he told him to pound sand.

I’m inclined to say the same but I will say it happens more often in hockey than any other sport.
  • DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#11 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 06:36 AM

Nice comeback last night.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 October 2022 - 07:07 AM

Nice comeback last night.

Yep, great to see Ovi get going with 2 goals and 2 assists.

Goalkeeping still sucks. Not at impressed with Darcy though.

#13 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:15 AM

Yep, great to see Ovi get going with 2 goals and 2 assists.

Goalkeeping still sucks. Not at impressed with Darcy though.

Think it's still the system's lack of D making the goaltenders look worse than they are but not sure. I told you I'm more impressed with Lindgren than I have been with Darcy though, so could just be him.

@JeremyMStrain

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:16 AM

Think it's still the system's lack of D making the goaltenders look worse than they are but not sure. I told you I'm more impressed with Lindgren than I have been with Darcy though, so could just be him.

Yes you did and early on that looks really good.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 05:42 PM

RMNB: Capitals could reportedly have interest in Hurricanes defenseman Ethan Bear

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 05:43 PM

NOVA Caps Fans: Former Capitals Head Coach Barry Trotz On Leaving Washington: “There Was Sort of An Agreement There, A Verbal Agreement, And at the End of the Day It Didn’t Come Through”

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 October 2022 - 07:47 PM

Jer - any word on what’s going on with Oshie? “Out indefinitely” and “lower body injury” is not a combo of phrases you want heard. Ugh.

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 09:31 AM

Jer - any word on what’s going on with Oshie? “Out indefinitely” and “lower body injury” is not a combo of phrases you want heard. Ugh.

They are keeping it pretty quiet which usually means a LTIR thing. I thought it was the knee, but could be wrong. I noticed today they were immediately trying to switch the narrative from Osh being out, to Oh look, McMichael has a spot now. I think it'll be a while if not the whole season, but they won't shift him to LTIR until they need a new spot for someone, probably deadline time.

Isn't going to matter if they can't get this defensive system under control. I almost wish they'd do poor enough to fire Lavi and get someone in that could make a run like the Phillies did.

@JeremyMStrain

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 09:04 AM

And THIS is when you make a coaching change and still have a chance at the season. They let it go much/any longer it'll be too late.

@JeremyMStrain

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 November 2022 - 09:46 AM

The injuries though, they’ll say.

This is my problem with Leonsis and Mac. No killer instinct. Happy enough being mediocre but not irrelevant.

This team is brutal to watch. Kinda hate it. Feels like a chore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=