The Bank: Previewing Week 3 Vs. The New England Patriots

#22 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:03 PM

I agree there is a lot of over-reaction going on, but I also think there were some red flags that only time will tell if they are outliers or true warning signs.

The Ravens defense fell back into a well known pattern of the last few years of totally falling apart as the second half went on.  That's disturbing enough when you consider that the team retooled a lot of the defense this offseason, but it's even more disturbing when you consider that they weren't challenged very much until the second half.  

MacDonald crapped the bed as a DC in his first real test.  The NFL is a step up from college and it looked like he didn't know what to do to try and stop the bleeding.  It's unfair to call for his head, but hopefully his performances in the future will be a little better.  

Kyle Hamilton looks lost out there.  It's understood that he's got a learning curve when it comes to NFL players and their abilities, but he looked like he didn't know where to be or what to do.  Like his DC, it's unfair to call him a bust after two games, but it's also clear that so far he hasn't been able to step right in like a first round pick should.

I'm also not ready to anoint Miami as the leagues best offense.  I think they were made to look better by the Ravens defense.  The same Miami team was held to just one offensive TD at home by the Patriots in week one.  Justin Houston pressured Tua in the first half and he made mistakes.  But nobody else really had much pressure.  And in the second half, the Ravens pass rush made Tua look like Johnny Unitas.  Let's see what they do this week against Buffalo.  They're a playoff contender, but I don't think they can go toe to toe with teams like Buffalo and KC come playoff time.  

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:00 PM

Ravens had all 53 players on practice field today. QB Lamar Jackson, sans elbow sleeve, was also throwing. WR Devin Duvernay out of concussion protocol and participating. CB Marlon Humphrey also working.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:03 PM

I tend to agree with that assessment of Miami cprenegade. Sounds about right.

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:18 PM

Ravens had all 53 players on practice field today. QB Lamar Jackson, sans elbow sleeve, was also throwing. WR Devin Duvernay out of concussion protocol and participating. CB Marlon Humphrey also working.

I think everyone goes except Stanley.  Although I thought JK was going last week.

At this point, just tell us when they are playing and stop with the "they may be able to play this week".

@mikeghg

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:50 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens vs. Patriots scouting report for Week 3: Who has the edge?

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:28 AM

I tend to agree with that assessment of Miami cprenegade. Sounds about right.

Miami is a solid team. A playoff caliber team no doubt. THey are Tenn of the last few years. Has anyone really ever expected Tenn to win the AFC at any point. Of course CIn proving they are in the same type of boat and they had a magical run to the SB last year so anything is possible I guess

#28 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:42 AM

Anybody can get to the playoffs and get hot and see what happens. It's not easy, but in the past 15 years 6 teams won the Super Bowl with 11 wins or less, and another 4 made the Super Bowl. The AFC is kinda a gauntlet, but a lot of times the so called best teams have to beat each other too, like the Bills and Chiefs last year.

#29 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:30 AM

I agree there is a lot of over-reaction going on, but I also think there were some red flags that only time will tell if they are outliers or true warning signs.

The Ravens defense fell back into a well known pattern of the last few years of totally falling apart as the second half went on. That's disturbing enough when you consider that the team retooled a lot of the defense this offseason, but it's even more disturbing when you consider that they weren't challenged very much until the second half.

MacDonald crapped the bed as a DC in his first real test. The NFL is a step up from college and it looked like he didn't know what to do to try and stop the bleeding. It's unfair to call for his head, but hopefully his performances in the future will be a little better.

Kyle Hamilton looks lost out there. It's understood that he's got a learning curve when it comes to NFL players and their abilities, but he looked like he didn't know where to be or what to do. Like his DC, it's unfair to call him a bust after two games, but it's also clear that so far he hasn't been able to step right in like a first round pick should.

I'm also not ready to anoint Miami as the leagues best offense. I think they were made to look better by the Ravens defense. The same Miami team was held to just one offensive TD at home by the Patriots in week one. Justin Houston pressured Tua in the first half and he made mistakes. But nobody else really had much pressure. And in the second half, the Ravens pass rush made Tua look like Johnny Unitas. Let's see what they do this week against Buffalo. They're a playoff contender, but I don't think they can go toe to toe with teams like Buffalo and KC come playoff time.

I'm not sure I agree with the part about Hamilton. He hasn't been great. But he hasn't been bad either. I certainly don't think he looks lost at all. He was part of the problem on the 2 biggest plays. The first one to Hill, he bit on Waddle running the deep crossed in the middle. And Hill outran Peters behind him. That's was a lose-lose. If he plays the deep post, Waddle is wide open in the middle of the field, with a ton of room to run. And we saw what happens when he steps up to cover that. The other big play to Hill, something was communicated wrong. And how someone doesn't take a TO there is beyond me. But, outside of that, I don't see anything more than normal rookie mistakes.

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:39 AM

Yeah my sense is Hamilton is pretty lost out there. 

#31 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:04 AM

All we hear is that Chuck Clark is the smartest guy on the team, supreme football IQ, knows all the assignments, has the green dot so he gets the defensive calls to everyone...is something not translating from the DC to Clark to the team? How often has this team had miscommunication issues and misunderstanding of assignments the past couple years? The DC and his complicated scheme isn't the common factor anymore.

I admit I don't know anything about anything, I'm just wondering. Sometimes the smartest guys, who instantly get something, might not recognize when others aren't understanding something.

#32 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:07 PM

Yeah my sense is Hamilton is pretty lost out there.

Why is that?

#33 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:29 PM

If the Ravens don’t win this game by multiple touchdowns, they’re in for a long season.

Another bold take: why’s this game on Fox and not CBS?

#34 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:42 PM

Quite frankly the Ravens are a far superior team talent wise, and should steam roll New England in my opinion. What single player is glaring threat on their roster? The only thing they have better than the Ravens is Bill Belichick. However, it will most likely be a tight game at the end because the Hoodie is just that good. Ravens should win and win big though!

#35 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:45 PM

Quite frankly the Ravens are a far superior team talent wise, and should steam roll New England in my opinion. What single player is glaring threat on their roster? The only thing they have better than the Ravens is Bill Belichick. However, it will most likely be a tight game at the end because the Hoodie is just that good. Ravens should win and win big though!

Their offensive line has been one of the best in the NFL at this point. They don't have the skill-position threats that Miami has. But if Jones has all day, that won't matter.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:48 PM

Just find a way to win.  I don't care about doing so handily.  Get back on track.

• Biggsy and PrimeTime like this

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:54 PM

If the Ravens don’t win this game by multiple touchdowns, they’re in for a long season.

The game could break for them to win by multiple td's, but that isn't likely imo.   
I'm thinking a close Ravens win, or a possible loss... and either way, I think it's going to be a quality Ravens season. 

In 2014, the league introduced “cross-flexing,” which allows a select number of games annually that would have typically aired on Fox or CBS to be aired on the other Sunday afternoon network. That means, for example, that an all-AFC matchup could air on Fox and an all-NFC game could appear on CBS. An equal number of games must be cross-flexed: if CBS airs three games originally slated for Fox, then Fox would have to get three games that would have originally aired on CBS.

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:55 PM

I believe part of the new TV deals was that Fox/CBS got a certain number of AFC/NFC games to choose each season now. Small number, but yeah. Don’t know the full details.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:57 PM

I wore my road white JK Dobbins jersey for Purple Friday today, so I’m with Biggsy and jumping ship as a fan of this franchise if he doesn’t play Sunday.

#40 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:21 PM

The game could break for them to win by multiple td's, but that isn't likely imo.   
I'm thinking a close Ravens win, or a possible loss... and either way, I think it's going to be a quality Ravens season. 

In 2014, the league introduced “cross-flexing,” which allows a select number of games annually that would have typically aired on Fox or CBS to be aired on the other Sunday afternoon network. That means, for example, that an all-AFC matchup could air on Fox and an all-NFC game could appear on CBS. An equal number of games must be cross-flexed: if CBS airs three games originally slated for Fox, then Fox would have to get three games that would have originally aired on CBS.

I believe part of the new TV deals was that Fox/CBS got a certain number of AFC/NFC games to choose each season now. Small number, but yeah. Don’t know the full details.

Thanks guys. The one weak spot in my streaming setup is I currently have no way of watching games on Fox. I was trying to put off activating YoutubeTV until the MLB postseason starts. Either reactivate it or go out to watch the game(s). Not so much a fan of going out to watch games here in Canton as I once was. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=