#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 12:27 AM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...vens-role-call/

Take aways from some of the roles played last week, and maybe moving forward. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas and PrimeTime like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 10:22 AM

How are we feeling, #RavensFlock?

@MikeFastNFL

#3 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 September 2022 - 10:56 AM

It sounds like the Ravens are expecting to see more of the Dolphins aggressive, cover 0 looks this weekend. Mekari and the rest of the Oline are going to have to do some heavy lifting. Knowing assignments and execution are going to be key to slowing the Dolphins blitz and getting Lamar enough time. Sending Bateman, Duvernay et al on some quick slants and shallow crosses will be a good way to counter what the Dolphins could throw at us.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:15 AM

How are we feeling, #RavensFlock?

Ask me again after the Buffalo game.

If Stanley, JK, Peters, Jones, Gus and Bowser are back then I think I will be feeling good.

@mikeghg

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:18 AM

It sounds like the Ravens are expecting to see more of the Dolphins aggressive, cover 0 looks this weekend. Mekari and the rest of the Oline are going to have to do some heavy lifting. Knowing assignments and execution are going to be key to slowing the Dolphins blitz and getting Lamar enough time. Sending Bateman, Duvernay et al on some quick slants and shallow crosses will be a good way to counter what the Dolphins could throw at us.

Tight ends into the flats and DD and Bateman on slants.   And hopefully we gash them on a few big runs and get a receiver behind the safeties.  The cover zero is glorified man to man.  Let's win some of the one on ones.  

@mikeghg

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 01:11 PM

Tight ends into the flats and DD and Bateman on slants.   And hopefully we gash them on a few big runs and get a receiver behind the safeties.  The cover zero is glorified man to man.  Let's win some of the one on ones.  

Maybe another screen pass  :D

#7 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 16 September 2022 - 01:56 PM

When we run a nickel do we run with 3 DL or 4?

Also, related question, how important are mike/will/Sam linebacker designations in a nickel?

#8 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:00 PM

In 2019 and to a lesser extent 2020 teams stopped blitzing us because Lamar and his run options would torch it. That went away in 2021 because every time we tried a run option someone muffed it. I saw the ravens run it a few times week 1.
If we are bringing the run option (and Lamar is the best I've seen at any level at holding on to it until the last millisecond) then the Fins are going to remember why teams stopped blitzing the Ravens.

#9 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:38 PM

When we run a nickel do we run with 3 DL or 4?

Also, related question, how important are mike/will/Sam linebacker designations in a nickel?

The Ravens mix up the fronts. Nickel just means 5 DBs on the field.

It comes down to individual assignments, the play call, what the LBs would do. So when Bynes took over the Mike role from Queen in week 6 last year, the Mike accounts for the tight end more often than not. If the TE goes in motion, Bynes would switch places with Queen to stay with the TE. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#10 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 03:31 PM

The Ravens mix up the fronts. Nickel just means 5 DBs on the field.

It comes down to individual assignments, the play call, what the LBs would do. So when Bynes took over the Mike role from Queen in week 6 last year, the Mike accounts for the tight end more often than not. If the TE goes in motion, Bynes would switch places with Queen to stay with the TE. 

Why wouldn't the Sam take the TE?  He's already lined up over the TE, no?  Or the extra safety that replaced one of the linebackers?  I thought the MLB mainly covers the RB, or maybe the TE on slants, and is otherwise responsible for up the middle containment on running plays?  The impression that I got is that the Mike has more reads to make, which Queen was having a lot of trouble with.  I was asking about the front-6 alignment because in a 4-2-5 alignment the Mike and Will designations are kind of hard to get a handle on in terms of responsibility, and we run 5 dbs like 60% of the time.  (I'm not sure if Clark or Hamilton lined up in the box counts as a nickel.  I guess it's a 46 big nickel?)

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 04:15 PM

Why wouldn't the Sam take the TE? He's already lined up over the TE, no? Or the extra safety that replaced one of the linebackers? I thought the MLB mainly covers the RB, or maybe the TE on slants, and is otherwise responsible for up the middle containment on running plays? The impression that I got is that the Mike has more reads to make, which Queen was having a lot of trouble with. I was asking about the front-6 alignment because in a 4-2-5 alignment the Mike and Will designations are kind of hard to get a handle on in terms of responsibility, and we run 5 dbs like 60% of the time. (I'm not sure if Clark or Hamilton lined up in the box counts as a nickel. I guess it's a 46 big nickel?)

Sometimes the Sam does. Sometimes the TE goes in motion to the Will or weak side though. All depends on the assignment on the play called. Sam is also an outside LB designation.

The Mike does have more reads to make. They might be assigned to follow the RB, but the TE comes up to block them at the next level. They have to shed that block and find the ball again which is another thing Queen isn’t good at.

Making Queen the Will let’s him roam free, think less, have to shed blocks and cover less. Just go get the ball, pressure the QB.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on formations. Maybe they go with 4 DL, 2 LB, 5 DB. But 8 guys are on the LOS at the snap. Queen actually ended up covering someone lined up at wide out on Sunday. Maybe he was in a man assignment against a RB, and that RB went in motion all the way to wideout. Offense making a call or a motion changes a defensive or layers assignment on the fly.
  • hallas likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:05 PM

Sometimes the Sam does. Sometimes the TE goes in motion to the Will or weak side though. All depends on the assignment on the play called. Sam is also an outside LB designation.

The Mike does have more reads to make. They might be assigned to follow the RB, but the TE comes up to block them at the next level. They have to shed that block and find the ball again which is another thing Queen isn’t good at.

Making Queen the Will let’s him roam free, think less, have to shed blocks and cover less. Just go get the ball, pressure the QB.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on formations. Maybe they go with 4 DL, 2 LB, 5 DB. But 8 guys are on the LOS at the snap. Queen actually ended up covering someone lined up at wide out on Sunday. Maybe he was in a man assignment against a RB, and that RB went in motion all the way to wideout. Offense making a call or a motion changes a defensive or layers assignment on the fly.

Right.  football is hard. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=