597 replies to this topic

#581 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 07:49 AM

Consider this. Up 21 in the 4th, the Dolphins have to score three times straight and stop the Ravens two possessions in between. You run the ball 6 times on 2 possessions and punt both times, that's about 4:30 off the clock if executed to maximize clock usage and some hang time on the punts. Now the Dolphins have a little over 10 minutes to score 3 TDs.
Play 6 or 7 DBs with 2 or 3 deep (like ACTUALLY deep) on every snap, force them to go underneath more, and every tackle is another 20+ seconds off the clock. Even if they dink and dunk perfectly for the whole quarter and tie it... chances are that last possession of regulation is the Ravens and starts with very little time on the clock. You're then trying to kick the FG or taking it to OT.
It takes serious game mismanagement to blow the game in the manner that the Ravens blew it yesterday.

And to LOSE the game, they have to score 4 times, making the loss even more indefensible. Time for Harbaugh and his staff to man up and put this atrocity right where it belongs.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#582 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 07:59 AM

Meh with the lack of run blocking its so 2nd guessing to put it on Roman for continuing to throw. We turned the ball over on our side of the field because we couldnt convert with the run. We got there by passing. So while I totally agree you need to salt the game away by running. Getting the ball at the 25 running into the line 3 times and punting the ball to their 30-40 yard line with how quick strike they were wasnt going to work either.

#583 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:25 AM

The Ravens lost the TOP battle roughly 35 mins to 25.

They had a 10 minute drive that resulted in zero points.

At one point the Ravens led roughly TOP 10:00-5:00 and a 7-0 lead.

After that Miami had the ball 30 mins to 15. In 15 minutes the Ravens scored 31 points. Which is amazing. In 30 minutes the Dolphins scored 42, which is also ridiculous.
  • BSLJamieSieck likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#584 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:29 AM

I'm still mad about them overturning the Lamar TD to put them up 14-0. Refs called it a TD, but after what seemed like a 20 min review, they overturned it. Seems to me like the MLB logic should have been applied to that review in that if the call is a TD and it takes that long to review the play, then the ref's decision must be taken into account and upheld. Otherwise, what is the point in having refs? Just review every single play to make sure it's right and the games can last 6 hours.

Just watched the review. It looks like he could have been short, but it also is not 100 percent definitive either. Call should have been upheld if it is going to take such  a rigorous review.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#585 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, the overturned TD seemed questionable to me too. Maybe he was short, maybe he wasn't, but it was darn close and the call on the field was a TD. That was a LONG review to then turn around and say, "Yeah, no doubt about it, he was short". I don't think we saw anything on the broadcast that was convincing. Who knows that the ref saw on his screen though...

#586 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:44 AM

I'm still mad about them overturning the Lamar TD to put them up 14-0. Refs called it a TD, but after what seemed like a 20 min review, they overturned it. Seems to me like the MLB logic should have been applied to that review in that if the call is a TD and it takes that long to review the play, then the ref's decision must be taken into account and upheld. Otherwise, what is the point in having refs? Just review every single play to make sure it's right and the games can last 6 hours.

Just watched the review. It looks like he could have been short, but it also is not 100 percent definitive either. Call should have been upheld if it is going to take such  a rigorous review.

I thought it was very easily visible he was short, and don't know why they took forever to look at it. I also thought there was time limit on how long you can look at a review. It seemed like over 5 minutes which is ridiculous. If you can't tell after that long, you can't over turn the call. That said, I thought he was short. You can see the ball held down around his hip which isn't breaking the plane of the goal line when the knee touches down. For some reason we didn't have a straight down the goal line camera angle. Maybe that would have been definitive. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#587 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:46 AM

I thought it was very easily visible he was short, and don't know why they took forever to look at it. I also thought there was time limit on how long you can look at a review. It seemed like over 5 minutes which is ridiculous. If you can't tell after that long, you can't over turn the call. That said, I thought he was short. You can see the ball held down around his hip which isn't breaking the plane of the goal line when the knee touches down. For some reason we didn't have a straight down the goal line camera angle. Maybe that would have been definitive. 

He was falling backward once he is in view and the ball does look short. But what happened before he comes into view? Did he stretch the ball out across the line? Did it cross at any point before it becomes clear? If you don't know that answer, and the replay didn't show it, the ref's initial call must be upheld.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#588 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 09:22 AM

To be honest, I'm not as concerned about that call as I am about Roman's play calling. 

#589 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 09:37 AM

I agree that there was no clear video of Lamar being short of the goal line (unless there was an angle we didn't get to see...usually there is a camera right down the endline but it wasn't shown on the broadcast) but at the same time I'm also absolutely certain that he was short.  

#590 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 09:41 AM

Meh with the lack of run blocking its so 2nd guessing to put it on Roman for continuing to throw. We turned the ball over on our side of the field because we couldnt convert with the run. We got there by passing. So while I totally agree you need to salt the game away by running. Getting the ball at the 25 running into the line 3 times and punting the ball to their 30-40 yard line with how quick strike they were wasnt going to work either.

Yeah, its really only one drive where there is significant room for criticism, the one after Miami cut it to 7.  The first drive where we went for it still ate 3 minutes and moved the ball to the Mia 40, which like you said isn't much different at all than running 3 times and punting (I'd expect for better field position from Stroud, but his next punt wasn't good).

Defensive holding penalty on 1st-and-10

Hill -2 rush on 1st-and-10

Incomplete pass on 2nd-and-12

Incomplete pass on 3rd-and-12

Crappy punt to the 36

1:01 off the clock

Maybe you run into the line on both 2nd and 3rd and chew an extra minute of clock.  Its plausible that that could've made the difference in the game, since any one small thing not happening could be all it takes.  But my ire is entirely focused on the defense and McDonald, not Roman's playcalling or the offensive execution.

#591 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 September 2022 - 10:29 AM

The Ravens lost the TOP battle roughly 35 mins to 25.

They had a 10 minute drive that resulted in zero points.

At one point the Ravens led roughly TOP 10:00-5:00 and a 7-0 lead.

After that Miami had the ball 30 mins to 15. In 15 minutes the Ravens scored 31 points. Which is amazing. In 30 minutes the Dolphins scored 42, which is also ridiculous.

Furthermore, what are the chances of getting 2 turnovers, a special teams TD, scoring 38 points AND losing? It's remarkable in the worst way possible.

• Mike in STL likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#592 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 September 2022 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, its really only one drive where there is significant room for criticism, the one after Miami cut it to 7.  The first drive where we went for it still ate 3 minutes and moved the ball to the Mia 40, which like you said isn't much different at all than running 3 times and punting (I'd expect for better field position from Stroud, but his next punt wasn't good).

Defensive holding penalty on 1st-and-10

Hill -2 rush on 1st-and-10

Incomplete pass on 2nd-and-12

Incomplete pass on 3rd-and-12

Crappy punt to the 36

1:01 off the clock

Maybe you run into the line on both 2nd and 3rd and chew an extra minute of clock.  Its plausible that that could've made the difference in the game, since any one small thing not happening could be all it takes.  But my ire is entirely focused on the defense and McDonald, not Roman's playcalling or the offensive execution.

Very fair assessment across the board. I still can't figure out why there was no attempt at playing some kind of deep zone and doing everything that we could to keep the ball in front of us. Not only did the Dolphins have to erase a big deficit but the clock was working against them. The last thing we could let them do was get big play touchdowns and we did so, not once, not twice but three times. I still can't wrap my head around it.

• JStruds likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#593 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 10:50 AM

I agree that there was no clear video of Lamar being short of the goal line (unless there was an angle we didn't get to see...usually there is a camera right down the endline but it wasn't shown on the broadcast) but at the same time I'm also absolutely certain that he was short.  

In the MLB the call on the field would have been upheld. Give me quick reviews where, if there is no decisive evidence within viewing the replay in the first 10 seconds, the call on the field is upheld. Not 10 min long delays to review a play that doesn't provide concrete evidence to overturn the call.

#594 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 September 2022 - 01:09 PM

Yesterday was a mixture of terrific and maybe the most disgusting defensive performance in Ravens history.  I could almost see it coming though.  I mentioned to my son, early in the third Q that the Ravens defense looked toasted.  I sit upstairs and it was hot, very hot and I was miserable in a whole lot of ways.

Lamar was too damn good for yesterdays game to be a loss.  Yesterday sucked.

@mikeghg

#595 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 07:40 AM

Over the past year the Ravens have the worst passing defense in the league.  Last season there were injuries, but what are the excuses this season.  Offensive play calling is irrelevant when you can give up 4 touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

#596 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 07:45 AM

Over the past year the Ravens have the worst passing defense in the league. Last season there were injuries, but what are the excuses this season. Offensive play calling is irrelevant when you can give up 4 touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

I dont know how true this is and obviously injuries last year. That said, the investment in both salary in draft picks in the secondary to be this bad is unfathomable.

#597 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 07:56 AM

I dont know how true this is and obviously injuries last year. That said, the investment in both salary in draft picks in the secondary to be this bad is unfathomable.

It's true.  Over the past 19 games, they've given up like 5900 passing yards.

#598 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:08 AM

Over the past year the Ravens have the worst passing defense in the league. Last season there were injuries, but what are the excuses this season. Offensive play calling is irrelevant when you can give up 4 touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

Well, Fuller went out for the season last week. Peters was in his first game back from a major knee injury. And Humphrey didn't play in the second half this week, which ironically was the same half where Miami's passing offense took off.

So I'd imagine the injury argument still plays.
  • jamesdean and Ravens2006 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=