17 replies to this topic

#1 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 09:15 PM

Lets get together as a group and show these guys some love one day/night next month. 

Was thinking the 5th. Its Labor Day  but its a single admission Doubleheader and you get a Mountcastle Tshirt. If not then hopefully we can do it another day or night

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 August 2022 - 09:21 PM

I’m down. Promise I won’t talk politics. And not say anything bad about Elias.

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2022 - 09:59 PM

I’ll be at the game Friday September 23rd.

#4 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 11:03 PM

If we pick a date and section I'm more than down for a meet and greet.

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 August 2022 - 08:40 AM

Lets get together as a group and show these guys some love one day/night next month. 

Without trying to be antagonistic, are you changing your position on opportunity to win?

I'm not going to derail this thread, just curious given you started this thread.

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:57 PM

...so didn't want to sabotage this thread, but we're beyond the initial intent here.

.... are you changing your position on opportunity to win?

Answer?

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:58 PM

...so didn't want to sabotage this thread, but we're beyond the initial intent here.

Answer?

Yes youre allowed to come too. If you can remember how to get to the Yard. Im sure its been a long time

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:38 PM

Yes youre allowed to come too. If you can remember how to get to the Yard. Im sure its been a long time

That's fine and thanks.  I don't currently live locally (to Baltimore) so I can't really attend anything, but I do get up to the area on occasion and would catch a game with anyone that wanted.  I don't politics on this sight, but I'm good talking politics with Ricker or anyone else.

...but that wasn't the question I asked.  Let me explain.

You are the one that has repeatedly said over the years that "there's nothing we can do" to compete. 

This team is the players "that weren't good enough" and waiver claims from other teams.  This is not some accumulation of Talent from non-competitive behavior.  Nothing to do with rebuilding.  "This" level of Talent is fairly easy to pull together any year. I've given lots of examples of Teams that have had surprising performance, you've mocked SF and their surprising 109 wins last year.

Beyond that, you've said there's no difference between 55 and 75 wins for you.  You are the one that didn't seem to acknowledge that fringe competitiveness could be exciting.

...but here we are.  The pre-season 30th ranked team (Power Rankings), a team where the FO had no plans to compete (at any point), that's had lots of challenges across the roster...and they are competing into September.

Now you want to act like some kind of Super-Fan ('organize the love', this thread) when you're the guy that said they couldn't win and you didn't care about fringe competitiveness. 

...so I'm asking, are you changing you view/opinion on opportunity to compete given this may be the most improbable run in MLB History?

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:42 PM

Ill read and respond if we win. If we dont there is no shot IM doing anything around here for the next 24 hours

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:46 PM

It's actually a yes or no question.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:46 PM

I legit havent read it. The TLDR is real kid

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 September 2022 - 10:46 PM

bump

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:07 PM

bump

...so I'm asking, are you changing you view/opinion on opportunity to compete given this may be the most improbable run in MLB History?

still curious.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:14 PM

bump

still curious.

I'm with you on always being at least "bad" and never full-blown horrendous, but this season may actually work against that argument since even a full-blown horrendous roster managed to outperform expectations by so much to be fun.

They didn't make the playoffs, so maybe if it was a "bad" roster to begin the year that delta translates and we get to 90 wins. Or maybe the "improvements" come at the expense of some of the bigger surprises and we end up the same or worse. I'd certainly like to have a roster that needs less outrageousness in order to reach meaningful goals.

Either way, I'm glad we won't have to debate if being a 50-win team on paper is the same or worse than a 70-win team on paper for a while except as a fundamental exercise. Now it'll be about if they are doing enough to really be considered as trying to win.

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:19 PM

If anyone wants to meet up tomorrow we’re watching the games at Full Tilt Brewing and then doing a live show of On the Verge around 8pm.
  • You Play to Win the Game, mweb08, Mackus and 1 other like this

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:30 PM

Damn, it’s the craziest possible work week for me otherwise I’d make it out there so we could hug it out. That’s cool you guys are doing that. Good stuff.
  • BobPhelan, CantonJester and mdrunning like this

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:53 AM

I'm with you on always being at least "bad" and never full-blown horrendous, but this season may actually work against that argument since even a full-blown horrendous roster managed to outperform expectations by so much to be fun.

I wanted to come back to this comment.  I guess I don't understand the perspective on what the 'works against' part is.  Someone like 2035 said that in 2019 there's "nothing we can do" to compete.  The goal of that is to embrace non-competitive behavior. The narrative from him (and others) is that you can't compete in a season.  ...but this season has nothing to do with the results of 3-years of a non-competitive roster and yet they still pulled a rabbit out of their collective hat.

There's lots of ML examples of unexpected teams competing.  This seasons Orioles is maybe the most extreme.

While there's some later-comers to this party, only you you and MikeB have argued for having a better than terrible team over these years, not to compete, but to watch better Baseball.  Someone like 2035 has argued there's "no difference between a 50-win team and a 70-win team" ....but when that 60-something win team plays crazy well, they and win 83 games, we see the hypocrisy in people's positions because there were plenty of people excited for this fringe result.

My argument is you always can do the most you can and try to compete.  That's not selling off everything for fringe opportunity (I get accused of)...I'm just saying you can always build a 70-75 win team (never the goal long term, only under short term challenges) without sacrificing a better, longer-term plan (no sacrifice of WIN LATER) and create more WIN NOW opportunity. 

...but just because you put some effort into winning doesn't mean you get to win.  It's competition so everyone shows up to compete and if you do poorly, you are going to lose and there's lots of examples this year of teams that wanted to compete (ie make the playoffs) but are in the draft lottery, instead.

I have stood alone on the 'any team can compete' island.  That doesn't mean every team will compete and it doesn't mean you don't want to improve the baseline Talent to compete, but this seasons Orioles team proved that any team can compete...so my question to 2035 is whether he has changed his opinion and believes that to be true now.

I'd certainly like to have a roster that needs less outrageousness in order to reach meaningful goals.

Now it'll be about if they are doing enough to really be considered as trying to win.

I wanted to address this because we've had this discussion in other threads.  I don't want the bolded above to be mis-construed with my opinion elsewhere.

I believe in the Performance FormulaTM.  Winning will be about more than Talent but many teams will get to the other components of Winning differently.  I would have a different approach if I was the Mets, Dodgers, Cardinals, Reds or Rays.

I am not convinced (don't believe) that bribing guys to come to Baltimore is going to improve the T portion of the assessment enough to challenge other components of it.  You need to know who you want to be so in EVERY season, I want guys that want to be here and pull the rope in the same direction.  You want big guys on the rope, but it's most important that everyone on the rope is committed to pulling that rope. 

Producing that roster (for me) isn't about total spending or AAV of specific guys you can add or anything else.  I'm all for adding more/better Talent, but for me, that should be more targeted than throwing cash at a recency biased WAR result.  Not saying it can't work, but it's not how I would focus on maximizing my WIN NOW approach.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:15 AM

Most of the guys you can add will all pull the rope in the same direction.  A guy with talent but who doesn't fit in for selfish reasons is the exception, not the rule.  Exclude those guys from your search for talent, if you think you've identified them.  I'm fine with avoiding them.  There are still plenty of perfectly good clubhouse guys who do have talent that you don't need to bring in Rougned Odor and convince yourself that his locker room contributions add 100 points to his OPS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=