#41 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:13 AM

He was great through 4 innings and had two inherited runners score in the 5th. He has been alternating good and bad starts all season. Consistency is key. Much better command than Hall, don’t think it’s the same issue.

Alternating good starts and bad starts sounds like another pitching prospect we have lol

she/her

#42 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 July 2023 - 08:07 AM

Promoted to AAA.

#43 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 08:16 AM

He's striking out 13 per 9, FIP and xFIP a lot better than ERA (3.77/3.06/4.87). Had a rough June (6.64 ERA, 5.75 BB/9) but been better in July (3.86, 3 BB/9) hopefully he's going in the right direction. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#44 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 July 2023 - 08:50 AM

Process over results in minor league pitching development. They love his stuff, I really feel like he was experimenting a bit in AA. Be interested to see how he does with a clean slate (statline wise) in AAA and how he does when he's just getting after it.

• makoman likes this

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 09:16 AM

I'm not sure what boxes he's checked, but I trust them on the development side.

• BobPhelan likes this

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:10 PM

Headcase. Albeit with good raw stuff

#47 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:15 PM

Headcase. Albeit with good raw stuff

I'm not sure why you decided this. You're the only person I've ever seen say this. 

Having inconsistent control/command =/= head case

• BobPhelan likes this

#48 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:17 PM

Inconsistent. Can cruise then hit a rough patch that he often cant get himself out of. Things go downhill fast for him and more than not he cant stop the bleeding

#49 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 05:00 PM

Btw nothing would please me more than to see Povich turn a corner and become more consistent. Its the same as Hall in that if they find it you potentially have a stud LHP pitching into that wall.

Well what Hall was a yr or 2 ago. Best case scenario Hall is a high lev RP now

#50 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, I just took issue with the term "head case" but if you just mean loses control and consistency easily that seems very fair. Pitching is hard, and a lot of times good stuff is hard to know where it's going.

Hopefully he gets there. You can't teach 13K/9 but you need command at the ML level.

• BobPhelan likes this

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, I just took issue with the term "head case" but if you just mean loses control and consistency easily that seems very fair. Pitching is hard, and a lot of times good stuff is hard to know where it's going.

Hopefully he gets there. You can't teach 13K/9 but you need command at the ML level.

I couldve said hes nowhere near polished. Still very raw for now being in AAA. Hes raw for AA too. But we know I dont roll with choosing words carefully.

#52 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 01:13 AM

Povich doing Povich things in his first AAA start. Blew up in the 3rd inning after two solid innings. Headcase.

2.1, 2 h, 4ER, 4 BB, 3 Ks 

#53 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 02:00 AM

I saw reports earlier of 93-94 but I saw 90-92 on the stadium gun on the milbtv broadcast. Not particularly impressive stuff. Looks like his bread and butter is backfooting his breaking stuff but you need to get ahead to have batters chase that and will he be able to get ML hitters to chase. Not a big fan of his mechanics either although I can’t explain why.

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 06:25 AM

I saw reports earlier of 93-94 but I saw 90-92 on the stadium gun on the milbtv broadcast. Not particularly impressive stuff. Looks like his bread and butter is backfooting his breaking stuff but you need to get ahead to have batters chase that and will he be able to get ML hitters to chase. Not a big fan of his mechanics either although I can’t explain why.

Adds up. His minor league ERA is 4.59 over 200 innings. It was 5.33 in 103 AA innings. You can tell me about k rate and FIP all you want. At some point you got to get hitters out. Period. The other stuff is putting lipstick on a pig. That you are saying his stuff at least on 1 night was underwhelming is just that more discouraging.

#55 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 07:54 AM

Adds up. His minor league ERA is 4.59 over 200 innings. It was 5.33 in 103 AA innings. You can tell me about k rate and FIP all you want. At some point you got to get hitters out. Period. The other stuff is putting lipstick on a pig. That you are saying his stuff at least on 1 night was underwhelming is just that more discouraging.

Talent evaluation rarely cares about stuff like ERA and WHIP. Just look at the pitchers who go in the first three rounds of the draft every year. Many of the "top" college arms have ERAs around 4 or 5. "Stuff" plays and getting the most out of it takes a lot of time and development. I agree that it's frustrating that Povich has seemingly not yet put it together, but I can think of more than a few successful MLB pitchers who posted just average or slightly above average stat lines in the minors, as well as a ton of guys who had ERAs around 2 or 3 at every minor league level and couldn't put it together in the bigs. Even if the stuff wasn't amazing for Povich in his Norfolk debut, it certainly was in Bowie and I think he has a pretty safe floor similar to Mike Baumann with a ceiling closer to Dean Kremer.

• BobPhelan likes this
@LukeRollfinke

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:10 AM

I loved BJ Ryan.  He was going wild for Ks before it got popular.  He had 12.6 K/9 in 2005 when the league was at 6.4, so nearly double the league rate.  Still not as many Ks as Felix even on a relative scale.  Bautista is at 17.6 K/9 this year and the league is 8.7, so he's slightly more than double the leaguewide K-rate.

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:12 AM

Povich doing Povich things in his first AAA start. Blew up in the 3rd inning after two solid innings. Headcase.

2.1, 2 h, 4ER, 4 BB, 3 Ks 

Mentally he's actually pretty solid. I made a comment in the Wells thread about control pitchers a min ago, and it applies here again. His success is his control and his ability to land 4 pitches where he wants. He isn't going to blow balls by you like the Mountain or BJ Ryan (I was always a fan of his too). He's going to out think you, plan out his sequence, and out pitch what you can hit.

Two problems he's having right now, he just hit the level where EVERYONE can hit secondaries. In AA, the best can, but a big chunk of the league you can still get out with some good secondaries. So he's got to redo his plans and pitch sequencing. The other one, is as a control pitcher, if you're down one tool, it's a big blow. When you throw 99, and have a devastating slider, when one is off you still have the other. When you are a low 90s guy and rely on placement and location, you missing one pitch might not give you enough to get through an AB.

I think you'll see him adjust. Those K numbers of his tells you he knows the game and sets up pitches very well. He's just gotta get used to the new level and make some adaptations.

• BobPhelan and 1970 like this
@JeremyMStrain

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 11:30 PM

Headcase Cade tonight: 1.2, 7h, 2BB, 9 ER, 2 HR     

AAA ERA a cool 9.60. Make him a RP already. 

#59 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 August 2023 - 04:56 AM

Headcase Cade tonight: 1.2, 7h, 2BB, 9 ER, 2 HR

AAA ERA a cool 9.60. Make him a RP already.

He’s 23 and it’s his second full season, relax. McDermott may be passing him but he could spend all of 2024 in AAA and still be be a SP prospect.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 10:48 AM

He’s 23 and it’s his second full season, relax. McDermott may be passing him but he could spend all of 2024 in AAA and still be be a SP prospect.

You can try putting lipstick on this pig all you want nobody should be buying. Hes got an ERA of 6.00 over 120 AA/AAA innings. How does anyone believe hes a prospect at this point. Let alone a top 10 prospect in this org. Performance matters. Besides, we have already had 1 poster come in here and say he was unimpressed with the stuff as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=