HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

ESPN: David Stern has date for retirement

http://espn.go.com/n...014-sources-say

The elevation of Adam Silver, Stern's deputy, to commissioner was unanimously approved Thursday by the NBA Board of Governors, the sources said.

Only NBA commissioner of my lifetime, will be 30 years when he steps down (if all goes to plan).
@levineps

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

ESPN: David Stern's power struggles

http://espn.go.com/n...-power-struggle

ESPN: Stern's legacy: The NBA's businessman

http://espn.go.com/b...bas-businessman

ESPN: Adam Silver: The NBA's next commissioner

http://espn.go.com/b...xt-commissioner
@levineps

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

CBS Sports: Sources: Silver picks Mark Tatum to succeed him as deputy

http://www.cbssports...d-him-as-deputy

Tatum, the league's executive vice president for global marketing partnerships, will become one of the highest-ranking black executives in American professional sports once NBA owners approve his promotion.

The choice of an executive with business ties -- as opposed to one with a basketball or legal background -- has struck some team executives as telling as Silver faces the challenge of growing the NBA's $5 billion business after decades of unfettered economic expansion under Stern.

@levineps

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

CBS Sports: Sources: Silver picks Mark Tatum to succeed him as deputy

http://www.cbssports...d-him-as-deputy

Not just "business" experience either: global marketing.

In a related story, I hear for the equivalent position in the NHL, Bettman is looking to hire Jeff Foxworthy.

• Adam Wolff likes this
@DJ_McCann

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

ESPN: Hard to imagine NBA without Stern

http://espn.go.com/n...nba-david-stern

Bully, dictator, villain. It's all true. Sporting that especially apt last name, Stern has frequently fit all of those descriptions since taking charge on Feb. 1, 1984, making sure everyone knew -- from the players, to the owners, to the coaches and team executives, to the people working in his own building -- who had the final say in the NBA. On everything.

Yet you can't convince me it was the wrong approach. Heavy-handed? Sure. Increasingly unpopular in recent years? No doubt. Proclamations such as the one we got from Sports Illustrated in 1991, when SI anointed Stern "the best commissioner in sports" after Pete Rozelle's departure from the NFL, have been scarce over this final third of Stern's reign thanks to a steady stream of crises and controversies, one after another over the last several years to drown out so much of the praise he initially got for steering the league out of its late 1970s gloom and then spearheading the sport's financial growth and gradual globalization.

@levineps

#6 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Did you guys see the ESPN poll about grading Stern?  Considering the lockouts and other nonsense the league has gone through with him, it's amazing most people view him so favorably.  I was especially surprised California graded him well, considering he blocked a fair trade for Chris Paul to the Lakers.  No surprise Washington hates him though.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Did you guys see the ESPN poll about grading Stern?  Considering the lockouts and other nonsense the league has gone through with him, it's amazing most people view him so favorably.  I was especially surprised California graded him well, considering he blocked a fair trade for Chris Paul to the Lakers.  No surprise Washington hates him though.

People get caught up in recentism and he probably overstayed his welcome, but the league greatly prospered under his reign. Yeah sure, you can argue he came in at the right time as MJ was coming in the league. The league has greatly grown internationally.

The very nature of the position make for a large amount of detractors like Selig, Bettman, and Goodell have seen as well. You can't be all things to all people, which they are being asked to do.

Why wouldn't California grade him well as a whole compared to other states? LA Lakers are one of the most successful teams on a yearly basis(I know not this year), Golden State is getting a new arena, and Sacramento kept it's team. Sure they might be upset with the whole Chris Paul thing, but plenty of other cities/states/teams have been screwed worse. The dissenters are always louder and they tend to be from losing teams more often than not.

@levineps

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Yes, that was amazing. Solid B all around, with Oklahoma giving him an A and Washington an F.

I think most of those people are worried Stern has "a guy" in the NSA collecting those IP addresses.

@DJ_McCann

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I can't post the link on my phone, but if you want to read a critical article of Stern, check out Whitlock's.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

ESPN: One stern commissioner

http://espn.go.com/n...bully-got-lucky

Stern was a bully. He convinced everyone, employees and reporters who covered his league, that he was the smartest, most dangerous man in the room. His profanity-laced tantrums were legendary and effective. His ability to make his enemies uncomfortable was real.

Rozelle's equal? No. Rozelle launched the NFL past Major League Baseball. Rozelle swallowed and/or buried the leagues created to challenge the NFL. Rozelle made a game the overwhelming majority of people never play and don't understand part of Americana.

Stern gets credit for babysitting black kids and making them somewhat palatable to a small percentage of white corporate America.

The NBA has underachieved. In the past 30 years, the league has been home to the most transcendent, recognizable and interesting athletes since Muhammad Ali -- Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and LeBron James. Tiger Woods and Mike Tyson are the only athletes who can compete with the quartet Stern was handed.

@levineps

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

I can't post the link on my phone, but if you want to read a critical article of Stern, check out Whitlock's.

Posted above

@levineps

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

The "right place, right time" narrative as a criticism to someone's success gets way overplayed. Hardly anyone is going to succeed without help from others.

Did Stern benefit from the fact that Magic/Bird were less than five years into the league and MJ was just starting, sure. But the results are how you are measured and the NBA experienced unprecedented growth under Stern that no other Commissioner was able to get. 

@levineps

#13 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

The "right place, right time" narrative as a criticism to someone's success gets way overplayed. Hardly anyone is going to succeed without help from others.

Did Stern benefit from the fact that Magic/Bird were less than five years into the league and MJ was just starting, sure. But the results are how you are measured and the NBA experienced unprecedented growth under Stern that no other Commissioner was able to get. 

Hasn't the NBA been on the downswing in recent years?  Personally, I think the game has gotten less enjoyable with the ever increasing emphasis on small ball.  I miss the days of the dominant big men and MJ.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I couldn't agree more with Whitlock, though I haven't followed the scene nearly as closely as many of you here. I just think the revenue card is way too over played given the changing  Cable TV/ratings/internet environment that has made all of the league's fairly rich. You'd have to be a moron to screw that part of it up. 

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

Hasn't the NBA been on the downswing in recent years?  Personally, I think the game has gotten less enjoyable with the ever increasing emphasis on small ball.  I miss the days of the dominant big men and MJ.

I don't think it's as popular as it was when MJ played but besides the NFL, hardly any ratings have remained steady or gotten stronger. So in that sense, yeah it's on the downswing.

Note: I did say I thought Stern overstayed his welcome earlier.

@levineps

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

I couldn't agree more with Whitlock, though I haven't followed the scene nearly as closely as many of you here. I just think the revenue card is way too over played given the changing  Cable TV/ratings/internet environment that has made all of the league's fairly rich. You'd have to be a moron to screw that part of it up. 

So he doesn't get credit for the NBA's success before cable/the Internet took off. The fact is it was under his watch that the NBA grew substantially -- domestically, internationally, TV deals improved, players salaries rose (even accounting for inflation), the value of teams became greater. If you want to say it was just a coincidence, that's your opinion but i'm not sure what measure you're judging a commissioner than the overall health of the league and if he left it in a better position than he found it. If you're hiring a commish, what are you looking for primarily? (I realize it's an all encompassing position)

@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

I think Rozelle is the best commissioner in the history of North American sports. I believe Stern would be #2. More than willing to listen to opposing arguments though,

@levineps

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

The league made $165 million in 1984, it's $5.5 billion now, according to ESPN.

@levineps

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

It would be interesting to see the growth in the other sports during the same time.

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

The Orioles were sold for $173 million in 1993 and are valued in the $650 million-plus range now.

@DJ_McCann

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=