45 replies to this topic

#41 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:22 PM

Mateo brings some tools to the team that they need, namely speed but he just doesn't get on base enough and is a strikeout machine. Its a shame he doesn't utilize his speed more often offensively.

Hes gonna be the starting SS next year and its going to be hard to argue otherwise tbh

#42 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:06 PM

Hes gonna be the starting SS next year and its going to be hard to argue otherwise tbh

Well, they have been winning with him in the lineup so I guess there's been weaker arguments to suggest otherwise. You very well could be right. Its infuriating to watch him swing at balls that aren't even close to the strikezone and seemingly just take an automatic out but maybe he'll eventually become more selective over time.

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:18 PM

Right now hes on pace to be JJ Hardy with speed.

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 09:04 PM

This last month or so he's been great. Glad we get to see another 2 months or so. Should let us know if this was a hot month or the start of something sustainable.

I'd still push for a major upgrade in free agency, but he's a justifiable fallback plan. Especially with he guys at AAA ready to fill in if he falls back to a sub-600 bat, they are the real fallback plan. Mateo's a nice bridge at minimum.

#45 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 09:08 PM

I really feel that for this team, that has (or at least operates like it has) limited resources, SS should not be a priority FA move.

There are 2, maybe even 3 potential SSs in the minor league system, and shortstops don't tend to age well. Signing one close to or at 30 years old for a mega deal sounds like a recipe for hamstringing your finances by paying for something you likely already have.

The exception would be if they want to trade some prospects for quality pitching. In that case, sign away in FA.

#46 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:12 PM

The luxury that teams like the Orioles afford players like Mateo is that they can give them an extended look, which is something he never really had with other organizations. I agree that it can be infuriating to watch him sometimes flail at pitches that are far outside the strike zone at times, but as pointed out above, shortstop should not be a major priority for the Orioles this offseason.

I'd personally have no problem with Mateo being next year's Opening Day shortstop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=