Photo

AL Scoreboard Watching Thread (O’s Edition)

• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#561 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:21 PM

I don't see how the record of a team for their whole season and their September results, correlates to head to head results between two teams in recent play. In my mind, they aren't the same thing. The results are simple. The O's got the better of them earlier in the season. This month, Toronto took 5 of 7. Those results are more telling of who these teams are today, than June results or August results, unfortunately, since the O's bested them in August. 

Not exactly the same thing being tested, I agree.  But they are very similar things and the results point to momentum (i.e. recent results) not being as influential as overall results (i.e. overall results).

But, they are different.  So then do you wanna give me those 5-to-2 odds on each game coming up in October?  Not money, but pitchers for the table at the next BSL happy hour?  I'll do that for each game. Or the roughly 40-to-1 that parlays to for the sweep.  

I think the odds are much closer to the 50/50 outcome of the total season series (or the 560/523 ratio the teams overall records would imply). 

Either way the odds of a sweep are low.  12.5% if the games are coin flips.  ~2.3% if each game is 5/7 in favor of Toronto.

#562 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:42 PM

Not exactly the same thing being tested, I agree.  But they are very similar things and the results point to momentum (i.e. recent results) not being as influential as overall results (i.e. overall results).

But, they are different.  So then do you wanna give me those 5-to-2 odds on each game coming up in October?  Not money, but pitchers for the table at the next BSL happy hour?  I'll do that for each game. Or the roughly 40-to-1 that parlays to for the sweep.  

I think the odds are much closer to the 50/50 outcome of the total season series (or the 560/523 ratio the teams overall records would imply). 

Either way the odds of a sweep are low.  12.5% if the games are coin flips.  ~2.3% if each game is 5/7 in favor of Toronto.

Damn, I love good bets like you suggested. But I'm outside of Houston. I'm not sure how we could make that work. Since you mentioned it. When does the BSL HH usually take place? I've seen it casually referred to, but I don't know much about it.  

• Mackus likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#563 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:00 PM

Damn, I love good bets like you suggested. But I'm outside of Houston. I'm not sure how we could make that work. Since you mentioned it. When does the BSL HH usually take place? I've seen it casually referred to, but I don't know much about it.

That last one was sometime in 2019 if my memory serves. So it's a pretty risk-free gamble. :)
  • weird-O likes this

#564 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:55 PM

Wow Wells to the IL. Time to bring up Rodriguez.

Of course they're going with Watkins instead.

#565 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:37 PM

As long as the O's win I want the Blue Jays and Rays to split.

#566 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:38 PM

The Royals just scored two runs in the bottom of the fifth and now lead the Mariners, 4-1.

#567 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:16 PM

The Royals just scored two runs in the bottom of the fifth and now lead the Mariners, 4-1.

5-1 now.  And the Rays just took the lead on the Jays in the 8th.  Could be a good night here.

#568 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:19 PM

I don't care who it's against a 10 game road trip is tough. There's absolutely no reason to sound so disappointed with this season no matter how it ends. Having meaningful baseball in September is not what I expected so I'll hang in there with them until they're mathematically eliminated. I still see opportunity left on the schedule and I think the Mariners are in play now.

Bump!

#569 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:33 PM

Bump!

Again Ill say. They have to play the games but their last 10 games are all at home against bad teams. Even f they lose the next two to KC. 5-5 at home gets them to 87 wins which means we would need 88. Or a 9-3 finish

#570 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:42 PM

Again Ill say. They have to play the games but their last 10 games are all at home against bad teams. Even f they lose the next two to KC. 5-5 at home gets them to 87 wins which means we would need 88. Or a 9-3 finish

😉

#571 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:49 PM

All things considered, good night for the good guys.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#572 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:53 PM

Make up 1 more game on Toronto in the loss column before the last series. It gives us a shot

#573 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 September 2022 - 08:01 AM

I'm not complaining, because you can't ask for anything more than this team and season have given. It's just odd that they can play Houston so tough, but lay down for the Tigers. 3 back looks much nicer that 5 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#574 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:27 AM

Gotta split these last 2 with Houston. Can't undo the great wins the last 2 nights.

#575 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:13 AM

Gotta split these last 2 with Houston. Can't undo the great wins the last 2 nights.

A split definitely keeps us in the fight but man a sweep would be nice. That would put us squarely back in it with 10 games to go. We are so close.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#576 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:03 PM

Meanwhile, Seattle's lead over Kansas City shrunk faster than my portfolio. The Royals have put up 10 runs to take a 12-11 lead.

#577 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:51 AM

Man, those last 2 games hurt.  SEA doing all they can to open the door for us and we wouldn't walk through.

• Mackus and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#578 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 07:48 AM

I know its not the main goal that we were striving for down the stretch, but I still get a smile about getting to 80 wins.  81 and especially 82 will have meaning as well.  What an insanely unexpected year.  Never got to even 80 wins during the dark time between 1997 and 2012.

• You Play to Win the Game, weird-O and JStruds like this

#579 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:27 AM

I know its not the main goal that we were striving for down the stretch, but I still get a smile about getting to 80 wins.  81 and especially 82 will have meaning as well.  What an insanely unexpected year.  Never got to even 80 wins during the dark time between 1997 and 2012.

Yeah its pretty sweet to be sitting here on September 27th and still talking Orioles baseball. And the future looks pretty dang good. 

• glenn__davis and Mackus like this

#580 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:29 AM

Man, those last 2 games hurt. SEA doing all they can to open the door for us and we wouldn't walk through.

Man do they hurt. I was at the Saturday night game and I don't think I've ever left a baseball game feeling that disappointed. We were so close to really making these last 10 games matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=