#1 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

According to a couple of the models that are out there, there is a possibility that the northeast coast of the US may be in Sandy's path. Do you think we will see the winds and rain or do you think the storm stays off the coast and heads more east?

http://www.cnn.com/i... ... ?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
@MKlein76

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

I HOPE it goes east, and a lot can, and likely will change between now and then... I do not feel like dealing with a hurricane right now.

The good news is that it seems like it will likely be a cat 1, if not a tropical storm by the time it reached us.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

"Frankenstorm"

http://news.yahoo.co... ... 40714.html

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Ughhh please no. Delivering mail in a hurricane is the worst. I can only imagine what it'll be like to deliver during "frankenstorm"...

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Ughhh please no. Delivering mail in a hurricane is the worst. I can only imagine what it'll be like to deliver during "frankenstorm"...

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor tropical cyclonic activity... ;)

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Starting to look pretty serious. I'm trying to figure out how worried I should be. The news says very and they never make things overblown...

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

The really scary part is that it's looking more and more like a fairly direct hit on Maryland and Delaware. Most storms that come up this way either land in NC or above Delaware Bay and just offer a lot of wind and rain to Baltimore. This one could come right across the Shore and over the metro area. Or worse, land just west of the bay and move straight up.

I think Sunday's going to be "make sure everything's charged and figure out how to illegally tether my phone" day :P

#8 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

The last map I saw had it heading straight for New Jersey. Good thing I already have subpump and crawlspace problems. What could possibly go wrong...

Thank god I realized I'm running low on toilet paper. Might've had the one scenario I always make fun of people rushing to the store for...

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

The last map I saw had it heading straight for New Jersey. Good thing I already have subpump and crawlspace problems. What could possibly go wrong...

Thank god I realized I'm running low on toilet paper. Might've had the one scenario I always make fun of people rushing to the store for...

Yeah I've got 3 sump pumps in my house, but if power goes out things could get really dicey. I went to the store today (it's my normal grocery day, don't judge me) but I laughed at myself when I realized I actually had to buy toilet paper. It was crazy today at 330 so I can't imagine the next 2 days.
@JeremyMStrain

#10 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

That almost reaches Cincy!

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

The most recent Weather Channel model, updated at 11 AM, has the Tropical storm touching Philly, which is a lot better than Havre De Grace, which was the projection last night. Over in Germantown, this is good news, but we'll see. Pepco sucks. Next Weather Channel model update is scheduled for 5 PM.

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

The further north the models go, the more I wonder if this is going to be the NYC hurricane disaster that has been predicted for years. Especially if it lands on the upper Jersey shore.

A couple of the models still had it passing over the Baltimore metro, though they didn't show how strong it would be at that point. It isn't all that far from the Delaware Bay shore to the city, in hurricane terms.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

The further north the models go, the more I wonder if this is going to be the NYC hurricane disaster that has been predicted for years. Especially if it lands on the upper Jersey shore.

A couple of the models still had it passing over the Baltimore metro, though they didn't show how strong it would be at that point. It isn't all that far from the Delaware Bay shore to the city, in hurricane terms.

Well, once it gets to NYC it would be a tropical storm, no? That should help, but I think part of it depends on just how slowly it moves through the area.

Does anyone have a particular go-to web-site for hurricane models, in terms of previously being pretty accurate?

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well, once it gets to NYC it would be a tropical storm, no? That should help, but I think part of it depends on just how slowly it moves through the area.

Does anyone have a particular go-to web-site for hurricane models, in terms of previously being pretty accurate?

I trust Foots Forecast more than any other weather prediction place. They are saying now that it really doesn't matter if it hits from here to Long Island because the storm is so big, and the effects will be the same there as they are here, so where the eye lands is pretty inconsequential (might even make it worse here since we'd just get pounded by the arms and wouldn't get the break of the eye.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Ocean City inlet parking lot.

Posted Image

Good luck and stay safe, all.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

Be safe everyone. These are going to be a long 36 hours.
@mikeghg

#17 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hope everyone stays safe back North!

@AdamWolff

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Picked up plenty of newspapers for my 4 month-old Pup to do her business on these next couple of days. She was having nothing of it this morning.

Hope everyone is safe and prepared. Good luck!

#19 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

And the OC pier has fallen victim to Sandy...
@KRL224

#20 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

My grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins live in West Long Branch, NJ so I'm monitoring this pretty closely. Be safe everyone.

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=