Maverick Handley

Connor Gillispie

Noah Denoyer

Zach Peek

Kyle Brnovich

Zach Watson

Garrett Stallings

Morgan McSweeney

As you know, Stallings has been a disaster. Even if you think he can rebound from this, I wouldn't worry about protecting. 

McSweeney has had a solid year, but do you feel he's an arm you have to protect? Is his stuff pedestrian? 

Gillispie is 24, repeating at Aberdeen after 80 innings at Aberdeen last year? The k's and hits and look great... but they should with him at that age, and repeating.   I'll defer to you on what exists there beyond the stat line. 

Brnovich had the TJ... obviously that will factor.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:41 AM

But this is where I wonder if they will trade some of these guys. Someone like Urias who could be a solid uti guy. What about arms like Rom, Peek, Gillespie. Is there enough there to add a cost controlled guy for '23? Or at least have them be part of a package for a guy like that. And Im not talking about some stud. Dont think we get a top guy at the deadline for crumbs. But saw for example that San Diego is interested in moving Snell who is under contract for '23 at 16 mil. Hes not pitching well this year but you buy him now at what should be a relatively cheap cost and you see if you can get him back closer to what he was for '23

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, I'd like Snell as a target. 

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:38 AM

I think Snell would still cost a fairly significant prospect package.  Not multiple top-10 guys but I'd be shocked if we get him without any top-20 guys.  Depends on how he finishes the year, but his ERA estimators are not nearly as bad off as his ERA.

My main concern with him is that he's always hurt and never goes deep in games.

Definitely like the idea if SD is looking to move him.  

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:48 AM

I think Snell would still cost a fairly significant prospect package.  Not multiple top-10 guys but I'd be shocked if we get him without any top-20 guys.  Depends on how he finishes the year, but his ERA estimators are not nearly as bad off as his ERA.

Rom is a top 20 guy but yeah I would think you need more than him. Maybe some lottery tickets.

#26 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,548 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:06 AM

Again, I want to know why Vallimont is particularly intriguing. Is his stuff that nasty.

Yeah the stuff is nasty.

Chris - 6 walks and 28 strikeouts over 22 innings since joining the Orioles and going back to his delivery that got him on the prospect scene that the Twins changed for some reason. 2.86 ERA in that time. Only 4 walks in his last 19 innings.
  • BSLChrisStoner and makoman like this

#27 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,548 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:10 AM

As you know, Stallings has been a disaster. Even if you think he can rebound from this, I wouldn't worry about protecting.

McSweeney has had a solid year, but do you feel he's an arm you have to protect? Is his stuff pedestrian?

Gillispie is 24, repeating at Aberdeen after 80 innings at Aberdeen last year? The k's and hits and look great... but they should with him at that age, and repeating. I'll defer to you on what exists there beyond the stat line.

Brnovich had the TJ... obviously that will factor.

Those last three had a space between them for a reason haha. Not worried about losing Stallings, Zach Watson, or McSweeney. McSweeney just reminds me of when they added Logan Gillaspie this year, intriguing bullpen arm.

Don’t think Gillispie is worth adding unless he gets promoted to AA soon and dominates. Brnovich should be able to skate through with the injury but I know they like him a lot.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:17 AM

I think we'll end up not being able to protect a bunch of guys that'd we'd rather keep all else being equal.  But most of those guys won't get selected.  And I don't think there will be anyone we're actually upset to have lost and not protected.

Maybe they'll make a seemingly bizarre decision to protect someone we don't expect and lose one of them (this year's Zach Pop or Hunter Harvey) but really all of the fringe guys could go and I don't think it'd make a drop of difference.  A couple of them might end up with MLB careers, either here or elsewhere, but right now its all a long shot and we've got equal or better longshots coming up behind them.

It'll be nice when we get to the point where both the active 25-man and the 40-man roster are clogged and we're losing quality players off of the back that we just can't keep due to overcrowding.  But we're not there yet.  Maybe next year with the 40-man.

• BobPhelan likes this

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:17 PM

So with the addition of Johnson and Ortiz breaking out those are two more must protects with GRod and Stowers. Rom is probably a must keep too. This doesnt account for guys like Peek, Bronovich, Handley, Vallimont, and Denoyer.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#30 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:34 AM

Since I don't follow the minors as much as you guys, I'll just add this Cap't Obvious comment. Having so many valued prospects that you can't protect them all, that's one of them good problems. :)

• Mackus and BSLSteveBirrer like this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#31 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:37 AM

Agree, if a win-win deal can be worked out. If he bounces back, he's a solid pitcher. If not, it's a 1 yr deal, no harm no foul

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=