#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:17 AM

He’s in meltdown mode at this point and should probably go down and work on commanding tougher-to-hit parts of the zone there, against lesser hitters.

#42 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:32 AM

He’s in meltdown mode at this point and should probably go down and work on commanding tougher-to-hit parts of the zone there, against lesser hitters.

That's pretty much how I see it. Physically, he has good stuff but mentally, he's just overmatched at this level. Even great pitchers get rocked occasionally but usually come back strong in their next start. It doesn't snowball into lousy performances covering weeks and months. Like a lot of pitchers they've brought up over the past several years, Bradish got hit hard, he had his confidence shaken and eventually lost the ability to live around the plate and trust his stuff.

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, you just can’t have a guy in your rotation who allows 12 base runners while recording 13 outs against the 24th ranked offense in baseball, at home. Kid needs to go work on his control and command.

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:45 AM

The issue is who replaces Bradish?  Watkins is likely replacing Zimmerman, I am not sure who replaces Brqadish.  I think they keep giving him the ball.

@mikeghg

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:48 AM

I also think some here are in for a long spell of aggravation if you are waiting for rookie pitchers to enter the rotation and automatically be good.   That is rare, IMO.

Granted Bradish has been awful, but young pitching generally struggles.

@mikeghg

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:51 AM

I also think some here are in for a long spell of aggravation if you are waiting for rookie pitchers to enter the rotation and automatically be good.   That is rare, IMO.

Not good, but you see young prospects come up all over baseball and are serviceable. Bradish is approaching an 8 ERA. Trending down, not getting better. Getting worse. Still a believer, but I have to wonder if working on what he needs to work on will be more effective in the minors at this point, for his own development. I'm not as worried about W's this season, so I don't really care who would replace him. 

#47 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:58 AM

I also think some here are in for a long spell of aggravation if you are waiting for rookie pitchers to enter the rotation and automatically be good. That is rare, IMO.

Yeah, Tillman was mediocre at best over 3 years and 36 starts before he figured things out. Hopefully we’re seeing Kremer figuring things out after some time. It happens.

#48 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 19 June 2022 - 03:24 PM

Luke Bard screwed up! 😂
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#49 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,564 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 June 2022 - 03:35 PM

Just missed sweeping them, great series.
  • Mike B likes this

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 04:36 PM

Win number 30 last year came on July 18 in their 92nd game.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#51 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 08:24 AM

Friend just said Bradish has the worst ERA among starters in the league. Is this true? If so I  don't see how that helps his confidence. And is it just me or does it always seem like we've got the guy with the worst ERA in baseball???

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:10 AM

Friend just said Bradish has the worst ERA among starters in the league. Is this true? If so I  don't see how that helps his confidence. And is it just me or does it always seem like we've got the guy with the worst ERA in baseball???

Gotta drop the innings requirement down to 40, but if you do that, then he's the highest.  

With 100 IP minimum, the O's have had the following "worst" ranks in recnet years

2021 - #1 (Lopez), #2 (Harvey)

2020 (40IP) - none

2019 - #24 (Bundy)

2018 - #10 (Bundy), #13 (Cashner), #20 (Cobb), #24 (Hess)

2017 - #1 (Jimenez), #9 (Miley)

2016 - #12 (Gallardo), #17 (Jimenez)

2015 - #11 (Tillman), #16 (Gonzalez)

2014 - #14 (Jimenez)

2013 - #14 (Hammel)

2012 - #2 (Arrieta), #5 (Hunter)

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:51 AM

Does Brian Matusz still hold the record for highest ERA for a qualifying SP in baseball history?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#54 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:18 AM

Does Brian Matusz still hold the record for highest ERA for a qualifying SP in baseball history?

Not sure about this. One inning per team game to qualify. He only qualified once (2010, 175.2 innings) and had a 4.30 ERA.

He was certainly terrible in 2011 with a 10.69 ERA, but 49.2 innings wouldn’t have qualified.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 12:08 PM

Minimum 10 starts I think he's #1. Or was at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=