467 replies to this topic

#441 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:45 PM

Eh, nobody cares about a stupid law firm.  :)  It's the baseball team that Orioles fans might care about.  Not that the whole thing isn't part of the stupid prime-time soap opera insanity...

I hope the law firm at least signed a couple solid free agent attorneys this winter.

#442 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:51 PM

No posts about Louis having to put the law firm in a conservator ship?

https://twitter.com/...VaJJjQKdNHozwEw

This strikes me as an interesting statement:

“The law firm is Peter Angelos’ legacy. Everybody acknowledges that, and he never intended for the law firm to continue after he was no longer able to manage it,” said Benjamin Rosenberg. (that's a lawyer on the Georgia / John side of the civil war)

Speculation time... but it strikes me as odd that Peter wouldn't want his sons to continue the firm after his death.  It's almost a right of passage for what seems like most people who start their own business... fathers would love to see their children take it over and carry on.  If true that he didn't want "the law firm to continue after he was no longer able to manage it", what's that say about him?  Or his relationship with the sons in general?  

Just sounds very strange to me, but who knows.  It's a strange family it seems...

#443 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:58 PM

“The law firm is Peter Angelos’ legacy. Everybody acknowledges that, and he never intended for the law firm to continue after he was no longer able to manage it,” said Benjamin Rosenberg. (that's a lawyer on the Georgia / John side of the civil war)

Speculation time... but it strikes me as odd that Peter wouldn't want his sons to continue the firm after his death.  It's almost a right of passage for what seems like most people who start their own business... fathers would love to see their children take it over and carry on.  If true that he didn't want "the law firm to continue after he was no longer able to manage it", what's that say about him?  Or his relationship with the sons in general?  

Just sounds very strange to me, but who knows.  It's a strange family it seems...

In John's case, he never passed the bar (per Lou's filing), so any role he'd have in the firm wouldn't involve practicing law.

I don't think this is all that unusual. Some parents prefer their children to build their own legacy rather than continue theirs. For instance, Jack Kent Cooke did not arrange for any means for his son John to inherit the now-Commanders when he died, even though John had an active role in running the franchise. If John wanted to own the team, he would have to find his own means to buy it from his father's estate. Unfortunately for the fans, he couldn't pull it off.

#444 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 February 2023 - 07:56 AM

https://www.baltimor...yv5i-story.html
  • Hooded Viper and Mike B like this

#445 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 09:08 AM

Well good news but what, if anything, does it mean for the O’s? Probably nothing, but could open them up for sale quicker now that there isn’t a lawsuit hanging over them.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#446 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:01 AM

Curious to see what the next stop is on the embarrassment carousel.

• BobPhelan likes this

#447 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:46 AM

Well good news but what, if anything, does it mean for the O’s? Probably nothing, but could open them up for sale quicker now that there isn’t a lawsuit hanging over them.

I think it means something. While the cases were dropped and not settled, this likely means they came to some sort of resolution as a family. Particularly since they can’t refile after dismissing with prejudice. What the agreement is is anyone’s guess at this point. But just spitballing…..maybe Pete has further declined and is unlikely to survive until the trial would have begun, and thus the whole complexion of the cases would change.

• Hooded Viper and BobPhelan like this

#448 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:56 AM

I guess this is good news but with the Angelos family, who the hell knows?

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#449 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:59 AM

Don't care about their in family fighting. Wake me up when they agree to sell the team.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#450 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 12:00 PM

Peter Angelos had no partners in the law firm, which means that once he was unable to continue practicing, there was essentially no one to bring in new business. From what I've read, the firm is now existing almost solely on annuitized payments from previous settlements.

#451 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 12:35 PM

Great - now have the family agree to sell the team!

#452 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 12:42 PM

If I owned a law firm, and an MLB team, I would hope the MLB team would be my legacy. But that's just me. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#453 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 12:56 PM

If I owned a law firm, and an MLB team, I would hope the MLB team would be my legacy. But that's just me. 

He spent his whole adult life being a lawyer and apparently was pretty good at it, collecting billions of dollars for people against companies that were causing those people to get cancer. He was a sports owner as a hobby once he was old and rich, and was not very good at it. I'd think most owners would call their real job, the one where they made enough to actually be able to own a team, their legacy. 

• BSLMikeLowe, Mike B and BaltBird 24 like this

#454 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:16 PM

He spent his whole adult life being a lawyer and apparently was pretty good at it, collecting billions of dollars for people against companies that were causing those people to get cancer. He was a sports owner as a hobby once he was old and rich, and was not very good at it. I'd think most owners would call their real job, the one where they made enough to actually be able to own a team, their legacy. 

I agree, but I think that version of his legacy will be limited to those whose lives he affected in some way, through his firm. If he never bought the controlling interest in the O's, he would be a big name, local attorney, mostly only known in the Baltimore region. As a sports owner, his legacy extends far and wide. And people who don't root for the O's or even really follow baseball, know him for the terrible owner he was. That's why I think his O's legacy will overshadow his law firm.   

• Mike in STL likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#455 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:36 PM

So the last two bits of news concerning the Orioles are:

1. Didn’t extend the lease
2. Days later, the family agrees to drop the lawsuit

I hope the two aren’t related.

#456 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:48 PM

You have a point, in his line of worked he helped people (for a price). 

My point is I don't think George Steinbrenner wanted to be remembered as a shipping magnate. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#457 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 04:20 PM

Well now they can finally invest in some free agents, right?!?!?!?!
@DaKittenz

#458 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2023 - 04:28 PM

I’d have no idea who Peter Angelos was if not for owning the O’s. Whether he likes it or not, that’s his legacy, clearly.

#459 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:44 PM

I’d have no idea who Peter Angelos was if not for owning the O’s. Whether he likes it or not, that’s his legacy, clearly.

Me either. 

#460 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:47 PM

Didn't Dude say, in one of these Angelos v. Angelos discussions, that the suit was all a show? 

I know nothing has been made public, but dropping the suit is inline with his beliefs on the subject 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=