Photo

WNST: Which Baltimore sports media entities suck?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

WNST: Which Baltimore sports media entities suck? Here’s my report card…
http://wnst.net/masn...my-report-card/

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Unless there is a level of self-awareness in that link that I don't feel anyone at that particular Baltimore Sports Media Entity has, I'm not clicking.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

WNST: Which Baltimore sports media entities suck? Here’s my report card…
http://wnst.net/masn...my-report-card/

First let me apologize to the those who work for NST for my views but:
Not only has Nestor, appointed himself as the self imposed moral compass of the fans in this area, now he has taken it upon himself to become the report card for the media.
He makes it hard to like him or even tolerate him. He long ago made it impossible for me to support his radio station.
I suggest for the answer to his question he look in his mirror.
@mikeghg

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Unless there is a level of self-awareness in that link that I don't feel anyone at that particular Baltimore Sports Media Entity has, I'm not clicking.

There are those that have self-awareness at NST (Pete, Luke, Thyrl immediately come to mind), but none of them were the author of the above link.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

There are those that have self-awareness at NST (Pete, Luke, Thyrl immediately come to mind), but none of them were the author of the above link.

I know, but like the workers in a Bond villain's lair who are just doing their jobs, there is no differentiating between them and their bosses in these situations.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

I know, but like the workers in a Bond villain's lair who are just doing their jobs, there is no differentiating between them and their bosses in these situations.

In some ways I get the point, but overall I continue to think you have to evaluate each on their individual merits.

Since you are not clicking on the link, I'll say this. There is plenty I disagree with in Nestor's critique, but I don't mind him sharing the opinion of where he believes others are lacking, or stating where he believes NST is the best.

However, I always find it puzzling that he is unable to give credit elsewhere to others for what others do well. Each of the other media leaders - 105.7, PressBox, MASN, The Sun, CSN Baltimore - each have their own positives and limitations. If you have criticism to provide, do it as a professional. Also acknowledge that each of the other outlets do some things well. Sure, you are in competition. Everyone understands that. Just tearing down others comes across so petty, and illustrates insecurity.

NST does a lot of things right, and they have the right to feel good about that. But if they are the 'King of the Hill', slapping at the competitors seems like a pointless endeavor. If you believe you are the best, just be confident enough to let your material speak for itself.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

I really do not listen to WNST and occassionally will click on the links that are posted here, but I have had a few exchanges with Nestor in the past, and he seems to feel like he is the only one qualified to talk and report on Sports.
Once upon a time my radio never left WNST. Now it is not even on my selected channels. It is not because of the others on his channel but mainly because of Nestor and to a lesser extent Drew, have somehow come to the conclusion that they are great and all other outlets are sell outs and poor. It is a shame because IMO Nestor went from a knowledgable sports reporter, or commentator to a bitter self absorbed know it all.
There are many on the Fan, WBAL etc. who far surpass Nestor's worth to the sports fan of Baltimore.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

NST does a lot of things right, and they have the right to feel good about that. But if they are the 'King of the Hill', slapping at the competitors seems like a pointless endeavor. If you believe you are the best, just be confident enough to let your material speak for itself.

The same thing that the person in charge there thinks makes him and the station unique (and does, in many ways) is what makes that which you request of them impossible.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Its not what they think of themselves that bothers me it is the feeling that they should be the judge of their competitors. Class does not talk down their competitors.
@mikeghg

#10 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

He's clueless.

#11 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

That's the pettiest, most self aggrandizing thing I've ever read. I feel dumber for having read it. Arguing that you're a better resource because you have more twitter followers than the other Baltimore sports news outlets?? What a joke. His argument isn't even factually correct. Both Britt and Roch have more followers than his ratty station.

It read like a paid advertisement. If he was even close to as great as he thinks he is, there would be no need to bash the competition.
@BSLKevinEbert

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

This was just way of saying "my outlet is better than the others." I know he thinks that, everyone likes to think that. Pretty pointless "article" if you ask me.
@levineps

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

That's the pettiest, most self aggrandizing thing I've ever read. I feel dumber for having read it. Arguing that you're a better resource because you have more twitter followers than the other Baltimore sports news outlets?? What a joke. His argument isn't even factually correct. Both Britt and Roch have more followers than his ratty station.

It read like a paid advertisement. If he was even close to as great as he thinks he is, there would be no need to bash the competition.

Once I saw the argument that graphic which insinuated more twitter followers = better media outlet, I stopped reading.

WNST has its plusses. It gives good Ravens news and differing opinions. But stuff like this article is just unprofessional, immature, and actually hurts the brand more than it helps.

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

I refuse to give them any clicks to their website and haven't listened to that station in years. I'm rooting for guys like Pete to get picked up by other outlets.

#15 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

These kind of things only bring negative reactions.
Keep your enemies closer....

How many times does that line need to be said?
Besides, isn't it more enjoyable to have a friendly relationship with the other members of media?
I love reading the work of all outlets, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

#16 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

As someone who knows a few of the guys who work at WNST personally, I hope that they get picked up by someone else soon. Luke Jones in particular deserves better than WNST. One of the nicest most genuine guys you'll ever meet.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=