387 replies to this topic

#21 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:27 PM

Another good night on the farm. Norfolk is rolling. Won 8 of 9. Shutout win tonight. Bowie only gave up 1 hit in a win. Aberdeen won as well.

Nightly studs:

GRod: 5.1 inn, 1h, 1BB, OER 8 K

Garrett Stallings:5 inn,1h,2BB, OER, 5K

Ryan Watson(in relief of Stallings): 4inn, 0h, 0BB, 3 K

Coby Mayo:2-4, 1HR, 3 RBI

Darell Hernaiz: 2-3, 2 HRs, 3 RBI
  • Mackus likes this

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:31 PM

Some bad news- Kyle Bronovich has essentially the same injury as Means and will be out awhile. Vavra left the game tonight after running out a single. Hopefully not serious.

Shout out to Adam Hall who had 2 hits and a BB tonight. .342 to start his season in Bowie. A terror on the bases.

#23 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 April 2022 - 11:14 AM

Some bad news- Kyle Bronovich has essentially the same injury as Means and will be out awhile. Vavra left the game tonight after running out a single. Hopefully not serious.

Shout out to Adam Hall who had 2 hits and a BB tonight. .342 to start his season in Bowie. A terror on the bases.

Vavra has a strained hamstring.

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 11:37 AM

Vavra has a strained hamstring.

That sounds like it may take awhile. Vavra is intriguing to me but the injuries may be cutting into how long the Os ultimately are able to look at him in the show.

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 01:31 PM

Damn. Was looking forward to seeing if that OBP could translate to the majors for Vavra.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:21 PM

Bob I see Stowers has been out of the lineup the last 2 days now. Any news there?

#27 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 April 2022 - 05:01 PM

Bob I see Stowers has been out of the lineup the last 2 days now. Any news there?

All I know is upper body discomfort which could be multiple things.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 09:22 PM

Gunner hit his first bomb

Prieto hit 2 tonight. 5 on the year. Thats surprising to me.

#29 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 April 2022 - 11:48 AM

Gunner hit his first bomb

Prieto hit 2 tonight. 5 on the year. Thats surprising to me.

Apparently Prieto added 15 pounds of muscle since he played in Cuba, nice to see.

Henderson's homerun was hit 112 mph.

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 11:46 PM

Prieto and Gunner went deep again today. Norby went deep twice today. All 4 affiliates lose though as the pitching was suspect

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 April 2022 - 09:48 AM

108 mph off the bat this time for Gunnar and followed 11 consecutive strikeouts to start the game for top pitching prospect Daniel Espino. Very impressive. 

Prieto should be in AA soon as Westburg moves up. Norby might not be too far behind.

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 01:59 PM

How you getting the exit velos?

#33 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 02:25 PM

108 mph off the bat this time for Gunnar and followed 11 consecutive strikeouts to start the game for top pitching prospect Daniel Espino. Very impressive. 

Prieto should be in AA soon as Westburg moves up. Norby might not be too far behind.

Espino is fangraph's #10 and has 30 Ks of 50 batters faced this season, wow. Good to see Gunnar homer off a guy like that.

#34 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 02:30 PM

Espino is fangraph's #10 and has 30 Ks of 50 batters faced this season, wow. Good to see Gunnar homer off a guy like that.

Also, the one concerning thing about him last year for me was he struck out so much, almost 31%. Sure it's early, but 18.6% this year while continuing to hit for power is nice to see.

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 April 2022 - 02:56 PM

I’m going to an Aberdeen game soon. Anyone know where they list probable pitchers?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 03:01 PM

Also, the one concerning thing about him last year for me was he struck out so much, almost 31%. Sure it's early, but 18.6% this year while continuing to hit for power is nice to see.

I know that a decade or more ago, that I really cared about how often a guy struck out in the minors.  I've never cared about how often guys strike out in the majors, outs are outs, so if you can produce enough overall I didn't careif you had a 25% K-rate or 15%.  But I always thought that guys that were striking out 20%+ of the time in the minors, against weaker pitchers, would struggle more as they advanced against better competition and the overall level of production would not be abelto be maintained as the K-rates climbed.

But I've no idea if that still holds water.  MLB Ks have skyrocketed over the past 5 years or so.  I've got no feel for if a high K-rate is still a major red flag for prospects or not.

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 03:18 PM

Cowser still striking out at an insane rate. Avg down to .214. Its early but I dont want to hear anyone saying there is no reason for concern.

#38 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 04:40 PM

I know that a decade or more ago, that I really cared about how often a guy struck out in the minors. I've never cared about how often guys strike out in the majors, outs are outs, so if you can produce enough overall I didn't careif you had a 25% K-rate or 15%. But I always thought that guys that were striking out 20%+ of the time in the minors, against weaker pitchers, would struggle more as they advanced against better competition and the overall level of production would not be abelto be maintained as the K-rates climbed.

But I've no idea if that still holds water. MLB Ks have skyrocketed over the past 5 years or so. I've got no feel for if a high K-rate is still a major red flag for prospects or not.

That’s exactly how I feel, but I also have no idea if it really matters or not.

Re: Cowser, I’m less concerned because Bob said they changed his swing. That could easily take a month to get used to.

#39 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 04:43 PM

Cowser still striking out at an insane rate. Avg down to .214. Its early but I dont want to hear anyone saying there is no reason for concern.

Yeah changed swing, not concerned…yet!

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 05:03 PM

I’m going to an Aberdeen game soon. Anyone know where they list probable pitchers?

It would be on the Ironbirds website and schedule if its listed early. Often its not listed til the night before or sometimes day of. A lot of times you need to backtrack through the previous 5 or 6 games and take a good educated guess.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=