#41 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:12 AM

This is where I am with Will Smith. Ya, I joked about him being a cuckold the other day, but we all know this is the truth. Smith can talk all the game he wants about being in an open marriage, but he was straight-up emasculated when Rock barbed in her direction. It all came rushing to the top.

Will is...you know..."enjoying" the open part of his relationship too. This isn't cuckoldry. It's just modified swinging.

The problem is more that he didn't want people to know that they did this, because of the overall perception of other people effing his wife. Which, like you said, resembles cuckoldry. So yes he absolutely felt emasculated. And that's why I feel bad. He wanted their (perceived as) odd relationship out of the public eye, and August/Jada refused to let that happen. So now he's talking about it at length, even though he has no desire to.

I think there's a ton of room to blame everyone involved. August for spilling the beans, Jada for leaning into the publicity and talking about it, Will for lacking control of his emotions AND trying to talk through his emotions in the public eye, AND Rock for the obvious tasteless joke. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:22 AM

Comedians make bad jokes all the time, they shouldn't be struck for it. Boo or something. 

• russsnyder likes this

#43 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:26 AM

Right. Which must mean it’s okay to pick on someone for looking a little different. Fat jokes about Billie Eilish would have been hilarious, am I right?

It's comedy.

It may not have been that funny, unfortunately we have the ability to laugh at out ourselves a long time ago.

Is it really making fun of Pinkett Smith to compare her to Demi Moore? I mean, they are both beautiful actresses.

I don't know if it's ok to make fun of Billie Ellish's weight. I barely know who she is. I do know that some people have criticized Adele for discussing her weight loss journey. Seems like people are boxed into situations where they can't win.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#44 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:41 AM

Comedians make bad jokes all the time, they shouldn't be struck for it. Boo or something. 

Too far in the response, especially on Live television, but at the same time Rock making that joke and thinking it was a decision to go with that style and not a medical condition was either really lazy, or just really stupid. Make that joke in the street and the same thing happens. You could see the moment after he got smacked where it dawns on him maybe there's more to the bald thing than he knows, and he's like uh oh, did I mess up?

Like what if she was being treated for cancer and was just keeping it quiet and you make that joke?

There's a difference between making a joke and trying to roast someone, and the reason roasts work is that everyone knows what is on the table before hand, that is not the oscars.

@JeremyMStrain

#45 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:44 AM

Too far in the response, especially on Live television, but at the same time Rock making that joke and thinking it was a decision to go with that style and not a medical condition was either really lazy, or just really stupid. Make that joke in the street and the same thing happens. You could see the moment after he got smacked where it dawns on him maybe there's more to the bald thing than he knows, and he's like uh oh, did I mess up?

Like what if she was being treated for cancer and was just keeping it quiet and you make that joke?

There's a difference between making a joke and trying to roast someone, and the reason roasts work is that everyone knows what is on the table before hand, that is not the oscars.

True and some of those early Dean Martin roasts and Rickles were brutal.

Gervis and guys before him, set the tone, and what is expected of the Oscar Host.

If they hadnt wanted that, they would have hired a non comedian to host the night.

Which is one of the reasons, some think this was all staged.

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:47 AM

Because on the street is not doing an act. Comedians do this. Comedians should not have to fear being hit because they make an insensitive joke. They are there to stretch boundaries and make people laugh and get away with it, because that is their craft. If anything, it's on the Academy - they bring a comedian like Rock on to do his bit, this kind of thing comes with the territory. 

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 11:50 AM

I'm not completely absolving Chris Rock, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have made that joke. But if I had, I'd expect not to get struck for it. 

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:02 PM

I'm not completely absolving Chris Rock, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have made that joke. But if I had, I'd expect not to get struck for it. 

But where is the line on that?

To be clear, I don't think it should be here, but he goes up and makes a joke about a recently deceased family member or something? As a comic it's also your job to know when you are going too far.

I can't help but feel like this was a terrible attempt at playing the White Knight to earn points back with Jada for Will because of all the other stuff going on, so I'm not championing him or anything. But I do see that there's gotta be a certain line where you say something and you are going to get punched in the mouth. Like for me, had he said something like that about one of my kids, I probably do the exact same thing. The line is different for different people, but it's real, and there's a fine line between harmless entertainment, and really hitting a spot close to someone's heart. You get too close to that, and STILL take that risk, you deserve to get popped in the mouth.

I think SNL runs dangerously close to those lines a lot. But they also generally don't do it to someone's face, and distance and time will let people think things through more.

@JeremyMStrain

#49 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:03 PM

I mostly agree, but let's take this at its farthest. 

If Michael Richards got struck for his comedic rant, what your be your opinion? 

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:05 PM

Looking this guy up now, I'll get back to you.

Ahh, Kramer. I didn't know he did comedy. I see what you're saying now. Yeah, eff that.

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:08 PM

But where is the line on that?

To be clear, I don't think it should be here, but he goes up and makes a joke about a recently deceased family member or something? As a comic it's also your job to know when you are going too far.

I can't help but feel like this was a terrible attempt at playing the White Knight to earn points back with Jada for Will because of all the other stuff going on, so I'm not championing him or anything. But I do see that there's gotta be a certain line where you say something and you are going to get punched in the mouth. Like for me, had he said something like that about one of my kids, I probably do the exact same thing. The line is different for different people, but it's real, and there's a fine line between harmless entertainment, and really hitting a spot close to someone's heart. You get too close to that, and STILL take that risk, you deserve to get popped in the mouth.

I think SNL runs dangerously close to those lines a lot. But they also generally don't do it to someone's face, and distance and time will let people think things through more.

I'm obese. Morbidly obese by the stats, at least for now. I can handle fat jokes. I can handle comedians joking about anxiety and panic attacks. It's a joke. When it crosses over to hate speech, I think that's a clear line that's way too far.

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:13 PM

About time...;)

@JeremyMStrain

#53 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:20 PM

I'm obese. Morbidly obese by the stats, at least for now. I can handle fat jokes. I can handle comedians joking about anxiety and panic attacks. It's a joke. When it crosses over to hate speech, I think that's a clear line that's way too far.

One of the types of videos that pops up in my news feed all the time is ones with the comics being heckled and totally owning the idiots. Because I usually slow down to watch those, sometimes I get ones where the comic just completely steps in it and screws up. It's just part of the job where they have to know to back off of things and topics sometimes.

Like this one guy was going at this dude in the front row, and after a couple little comments setting things up, he goes oh yeah, what do you do for a living? Obviously setting up a joke he's going to roast this guy with, and he comes back and goes "I'm a scientist" and the comic is like oh yeah I can work with this, and then he goes oh a scientist, like what kind? And he goes "I'm a cancer researcher" and the comic just stops dead and goes, well...shit...of course I pick the guy with like the most important selfless job in the world. Thanks for everything you do man, I'm just gonna backtrack and start fresh over on THIS side of the room. Like that guy got it. You gotta know when to hold back.

@JeremyMStrain

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:26 PM

One of the types of videos that pops up in my news feed all the time is ones with the comics being heckled and totally owning the idiots. Because I usually slow down to watch those, sometimes I get ones where the comic just completely steps in it and screws up. It's just part of the job where they have to know to back off of things and topics sometimes.

Like this one guy was going at this dude in the front row, and after a couple little comments setting things up, he goes oh yeah, what do you do for a living? Obviously setting up a joke he's going to roast this guy with, and he comes back and goes "I'm a scientist" and the comic is like oh yeah I can work with this, and then he goes oh a scientist, like what kind? And he goes "I'm a cancer researcher" and the comic just stops dead and goes, well...shit...of course I pick the guy with like the most important selfless job in the world. Thanks for everything you do man, I'm just gonna backtrack and start fresh over on THIS side of the room. Like that guy got it. You gotta know when to hold back.

Sure sure.

A good example of this - I saw Demetri Martin in DC a few years ago, and we were front row. My girlfriend was pretty drunk and laughing pretty hard. He started that line of questioning, looked at both of us, "woah, had a few drinks I see, could be a threat - what do you do for a living." I spoke for her and said, "she's a middle school teacher, teaches english" - he proceeds to change course: "Oh, that makes sense then - I genuinely thank you for your service and could never do what you do, you have my respect." My girl got an ovation from the crowd. Nice moment. 

But comedians are basically "fools", so to speak - some aren't as tactful, or experienced. Who knows, perhaps earlier in Martin's career, he doesn't handle that situation as well as he did. It's a tough art and requires a ton of bravery in it's own right. 

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:29 PM

Sure sure.

A good example of this - I saw Demetri Martin in DC a few years ago, and we were front row. My girlfriend was pretty drunk and laughing pretty hard. He started that line of questioning, looked at both of us, "woah, had a few drinks I see, could be a threat - what do you do for a living." I spoke for her and said, "she's a middle school teacher, teaches english" - he proceeds to change course: "Oh, that makes sense then - I genuinely thank you for your service and could never do what you do, you have my respect." My girl got an ovation from the crowd. Nice moment. 

But comedians are basically "fools", so to speak - some aren't as tactful, or experienced. Who knows, perhaps earlier in Martin's career, he doesn't handle that situation as well as he did. It's a tough art and requires a ton of bravery in it's own right. 

Yeah 100% that's a good example. I probably would have been like, OH yeah, I get it, here I'll buy you another, you deserve it.

But you're right, we both know there are a ton of people out there that don't appreciate the profession and could have really run their mouths there.

I watch Mrs. Maisel on Amazon, and there's a lot of stuff about this mixed in there, and how detrimental crossing that line can be for your career.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:31 PM

Mrs. Maisel, especially the first season, is great. Love it. Glad she was able to rebound after her character's brutal fate in House of Cards, lol. That was all I could think about the first couple episodes. She's phenomenal. 

• JeremyStrain likes this

#57 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:28 PM

Im am too,  morbidly by their stats.

Rock didnt remotely come close to hate speech.

He made a stupid joke, and like all comedians, sometimes, they are just funnier in your head.

Will Smith in Hitch, and the classic line, he used, I didnt see it playing out that way. When he was at Ellis Island with his date.

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:32 PM

A little late on this but Billie Eilish is beautiful. I saw her on SNL and I was like...WHO IS THAT?

Not sure why she chooses to dress the way she does, but hey, do you.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:38 PM

Too bad her music blows.

#60 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:41 PM

Too bad her music blows.

Not my taste but at least it sounds different from the other crap out now.

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=