84 replies to this topic

#21 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 10:33 AM

I actually have no problem with what Smith did. You don’t joke about peoples appearances unless you 100% know they are cool with it, as in best friends busting balls or something. I don’t think he needed to be thrown out. One hit, he made his point. If he was beating him senseless and had to be restrained, then yeah. But he was in complete control.

Jada keeps her head shaved for medical reasons, makes it more of a cheap shot. He might as well have flipped the Coda people the bird as a sign language joke while he was at it.

Rock seemed disoriented the second he started talking. Either hit the bar or the bong too much too soon. Even when he announced the winners he said “Quest Love and 3 white guys.” Yeah, haha, Oscar’s so white and all. I’m sure those “3 white guys” have names and at their crowning achievement for their careers would have liked to hear em called.

Rock was a total ass and deserved it.

Anyway. Power of the Dog seemed like the front runner, and that movie sucked. So, hooray Coda! From the clips, looking forward to watching it when I get Apple TV back.

The thought that a couple would be able to sit down, front and center at the Academy Awards, hosted by Chris Rock and not expect to receive some of the roast? Their level of detached ignorance is off the charts. 

And no, Chris Rock did not deserve it. Reflexive machismo may be OK with you, but what happens when a copycat attempts to take the stage at some random event in Nowhereville, AnyState USA? 

We have laws for a reason.

#22 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 11:18 AM

The thought that a couple would be able to sit down, front and center at the Academy Awards, hosted by Chris Rock and not expect to receive some of the roast? Their level of detached ignorance is off the charts. 

And no, Chris Rock did not deserve it. Reflexive machismo may be OK with you, but what happens when a copycat attempts to take the stage at some random event in Nowhereville, AnyState USA? 

We have laws for a reason.

Thats why they hire guys like Chris Rock and others before him. They expect him to poke fun at people.

Jada has a jaded past (No pun intended) with the Oscars, herself.

Will Smith is a diva and a total butt, and there is nothing he can say to defend himself, that people would accept.

Heck, he try to bring Mr. Williams into the conversation, with his lame apology. Mr. Williams was having none of that.

Roy Firestone had a great response on youtube, and worth the time to view it.

• CantonJester likes this

#23 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 01:54 PM

Fair enough. I’ll go far enough to say Will Smith’s actions were backwards. I’m not going to climb in his head and say he thought it was funny until Jada made him stand up for her. I’ve had a number of disagreements where my first reaction is a laugh as in, you didn’t really just say that, did you?

But sure. He could have told Rock to shut it. And if he poked the bear again and again, then he gets up and hits him, no problem then. First reaction to a bad joke is to hit him, sure, not great. But it sounds like they are not friends, they have a history, not the first time Rock picked on them.

I think another part of it for me is it’s not like Jada was up for an award. She shouldn’t have been a target for a joke to begin with. It wasn’t relevant in anyway to the actors or movies highlighted in the show. Finding out later she has a medical condition makes it worse. If he knew that ahead of time and he still made the joke, then he 100% deserved it. It’d be akin to making deaf jokes at the Coda cast, or the members also deaf spouses. There has to be a line. It’s not a roast in the sense that we know a roast to be.

They both took a cheap shot.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 March 2022 - 01:55 PM

I love me some Will Smith, I’m over it.

Not like he’s trying to overthrow democracy or anything. Small potatoes in the grand scheme.
  • NewMarketSean and BSLRoseKatz like this

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:06 PM

I love me some Will Smith, I’m over it.

Not like he’s trying to overthrow democracy or anything. Small potatoes in the grand scheme.

Major blemish on his otherwise spotless track record.

But I still watch Mel Gibson movies. I think I'll be able to manage to get past this to watch Bad Boys.

• DuffMan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:29 PM

I'm not saying he should have slapped him...

...but I understand.

There's so much nuance here, but anyone...anyone...clutching their pearls over a slap and still finding the time to justify other violent actions? I see yall. (Not "yall" per se, but you get where I'm going here)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:33 PM

I'm not saying he should have slapped him...

...but I understand.

There's so much nuance here, but anyone...anyone...clutching their pearls over a slap and still finding the time to justify other violent actions? I see yall. (Not "yall" per se, but you get where I'm going here)

I never think words should be met with physical violence.

I think Will Smith shouting at Chris Rock would have gotten the message across just fine and still been all everyone was talking about for a week.

• Old Man likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:33 PM

Also, there's a direct timeline from "Will and Jada's open relationship gets unnecessarily exposed" to "The Slap" and I really think that needs to be dug into.

Still...tell me you see your significant other insulted and hurt like that (in the video) and you don't at least consider it. I would. I would likely not DO IT (because, unlike a mega-millionaire, I'm probably going to prison), but I'd definitely have the Arthur fist going.

#29 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:41 PM

I never think words should be met with physical violence.

I think Will Smith shouting at Chris Rock would have gotten the message across just fine and still been all everyone was talking about for a week.

#1, there are obvious exceptions to what you're saying. Words have power. Resolutions can't always be made with debate. That's mostly political but you get what I'm saying. Sometimes violence is absolutely the answer. 

#2, given his "open relationship" and just the way toxic masculinity is a thing, he would have gotten roasted to oblivion if he had done that. Shouting and THREATS, sure. Just shouting? Nah. He'd have been a walking punchline even worse than he is now.

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:48 PM

#1, there are obvious exceptions to what you're saying. Words have power. Resolutions can't always be made with debate. That's mostly political but you get what I'm saying. Sometimes violence is absolutely the answer. 

#2, given his "open relationship" and just the way toxic masculinity is a thing, he would have gotten roasted to oblivion if he had done that. Shouting and THREATS, sure. Just shouting? Nah. He'd have been a walking punchline even worse than he is now.

#1. Not sure I agree, at least in the situation as it applies to Smith/Rock. Throwing a punch at someone who said something is like a player's retaliation getting flagged in football. Saying something insulting to someone isn't illegal. Assaulting someone is.

#2. You know what would have been better? He says and does nothing and if it's so bothersome, he approaches Rock after the show is over and talks to him man to man. There seems to be a history between Rock and Smith/Jada. Work it out like friggin' adults.

Will Smith deservedly won an Oscar and all anyone will remember about it is him slapping Chris Rock the night he got it. I'm sure he woke up the next morning and realized that what he did was wrong and hurt his image.

As for the issues with their relationship, Will may need to do some soul searching if it is causing him to act out in this way.

#31 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 March 2022 - 03:01 PM

#1. Not sure I agree, at least in the situation as it applies to Smith/Rock. Throwing a punch at someone who said something is like a player's retaliation getting flagged in football. Saying something insulting to someone isn't illegal. Assaulting someone is.

#2. You know what would have been better? He says and does nothing and if it's so bothersome, he approaches Rock after the show is over and talks to him man to man. There seems to be a history between Rock and Smith/Jada. Work it out like friggin' adults.

Will Smith deservedly won an Oscar and all anyone will remember about it is him slapping Chris Rock the night he got it. I'm sure he woke up the next morning and realized that what he did was wrong and hurt his image.

As for the issues with their relationship, Will may need to do some soul searching if it is causing him to act out in this way.

#1, I tend to agree. Just saying that words should "never" be met with violence isn't a true statement.

#2, as hurt as Jada is/was, he felt compelled to do something. Anything. Was what he did the right move? Probably not, but he felt that he was protecting his wife. But was doing nothing the right move? Absolutely not.

I don't think that, at the end of the day, it will hurt his image at all. The Oscars have seen much worse people and actions. I wouldn't worry about him in THAT regard.

I agree on the open relationship thing. And I feel really, really bad for him in THAT regard. I hope he's seeing someone about it because he seems like he's having trouble getting through the public knowing all about this. It almost feels like Jada is forcing him to be conversational about it and that's not fair.

#32 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 09:03 PM

Fair enough. I’ll go far enough to say Will Smith’s actions were backwards. I’m not going to climb in his head and say he thought it was funny until Jada made him stand up for her. I’ve had a number of disagreements where my first reaction is a laugh as in, you didn’t really just say that, did you?

But sure. He could have told Rock to shut it. And if he poked the bear again and again, then he gets up and hits him, no problem then. First reaction to a bad joke is to hit him, sure, not great. But it sounds like they are not friends, they have a history, not the first time Rock picked on them.

I think another part of it for me is it’s not like Jada was up for an award. She shouldn’t have been a target for a joke to begin with. It wasn’t relevant in anyway to the actors or movies highlighted in the show. Finding out later she has a medical condition makes it worse. If he knew that ahead of time and he still made the joke, then he 100% deserved it. It’d be akin to making deaf jokes at the Coda cast, or the members also deaf spouses. There has to be a line. It’s not a roast in the sense that we know a roast to be.

They both took a cheap shot.

I'm sorry, but I think your perspective is a bit warped here. First, deaf people are full-on recognized by the ADA (and the world-over for that matter) as disabled. People with a condition that leads to hair loss typically do not meet that criteria. 

As for not roasting her? I mean, she's an actress married to someone nominated for an Oscar who chose to sit front and center. 

You're reaching to rationalize Smith's assault. 

#33 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 09:08 PM

[....]

I agree on the open relationship thing. And I feel really, really bad for him in THAT regard. I hope he's seeing someone about it because he seems like he's having trouble getting through the public knowing all about this. It almost feels like Jada is forcing him to be conversational about it and that's not fair.

This is where I am with Will Smith. Ya, I joked about him being a cuckold the other day, but we all know this is the truth. Smith can talk all the game he wants about being in an open marriage, but he was straight-up emasculated when Rock barbed in her direction. It all came rushing to the top.

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 11:04 PM

I'm sorry, but I think your perspective is a bit warped here. First, deaf people are full-on recognized by the ADA (and the world-over for that matter) as disabled. People with a condition that leads to hair loss typically do not meet that criteria. 

As for not roasting her? I mean, she's an actress married to someone nominated for an Oscar who chose to sit front and center. 

You're reaching to rationalize Smith's assault. 

I don't seem to recall Rita Wilson getting roasted when she sat in the same seats next to her husband Tom Hanks for the last decade. Total missed opportunity by all those hilarious comics. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#35 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:13 AM

I don't seem to recall Rita Wilson getting roasted when she sat in the same seats next to her husband Tom Hanks for the last decade. Total missed opportunity by all those hilarious comics.

Unfortunately for the comics, Rita Wilson has all her hair and the Hanks couple is not in an open relationship. The comedic material is certainly limited when it comes to poking fun at the Hanks.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:33 AM

https://kareem.subst...d-bad-thing?s=r
  • Old Man likes this

#37 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:06 AM

There is some talk in Hollywood, that this was all staged, to help future TV ratings with the Oscars, which are declining.

Not sure, Im ready to agree to that thought, but it would not surprise me one bit, either.

#38 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:12 AM

There is some talk in Hollywood, that this was all staged, to help future TV ratings with the Oscars, which are declining.

Not sure, Im ready to agree to that thought, but it would not surprise me one bit, either.

I mean the guy won an Oscar for his acting, so is it that much of a reach to think it was staged?

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:39 AM

Re: Staged... 

I hate our natural inclination as a society to think everything is a work, staged, or a conspiracy.   Yeah, they are actors... but whats the personal incentive for them staging that? More attention for them?  That's what Smith (about to win best Actor) and Rock (one of the best comedians ever) need after 35+ year careers?   "All attention is good attention." I don't think that is true.

I think occam's razor here.  Rock said something. Smith realized his wife wasn't happy. Emotions boiled for Smith (maybe beyond this comment), and he couldn't contain himself. 

#40 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:48 AM

Unfortunately for the comics, Rita Wilson has all her hair and the Hanks couple is not in an open relationship. The comedic material is certainly limited when it comes to poking fun at the Hanks.

Right. Which must mean it’s okay to pick on someone for looking a little different. Fat jokes about Billie Eilish would have been hilarious, am I right?
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=