89 replies to this topic

#81 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 03:00 PM

I was hoping to find some data on the topic, but it's been tough to come by. I tend to think that 3 star recruits are hit or miss, and at big programs with tournament aspirations, the likelihood that they develop into bona fide contributors is probably less than a coinflip.

I think Hakim Hart is a bit of an outlier because he went from a 2 or undersized 3 to a stretch 4 after growing 5 inches from his high school days. Really hard to predict that unless you're doing MRIs of all the players to see if their growth plates are still active.

As it relates to Pierce - you can't teach height, so maybe he can amount to something. We're lacking depth at the position so he'll have opportunities if he proves himself, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a different ballgame at a high major versus high school.

Hes likely to get caught up in the wash of high D1 hoops. Im looking at the same tape on youtube as everyone else but hes not overly athletic. He is not that strong. I mean whatever. You need warm big bodies but this guy being anything of note would be surprising.

#82 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 February 2023 - 10:04 AM

Willard will almost certainly add at least one big man in the transfer portal before next season, and they're going hard for 2024 5-star center Derik Queen (though he's also relatively undersized at 6'9" and plays like a modern stretch 5).

Sounds like Queen may be all but a done deal. There’s been talk of him re-classifying to 2023, not sure if there’s been any new progress on that or not. Would obviously be a huge addition.
@BSLZackKiesel

#83 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 10:10 AM

Huge addition. Needs to get done. If he gets in the '23 class even better

#84 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:01 PM

Sounds like Queen may be all but a done deal. There’s been talk of him re-classifying to 2023, not sure if there’s been any new progress on that or not. Would obviously be a huge addition.

Queen in either class would be big news for Maryland.  He is a very talented and strong big.  

@mikeghg

#85 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:34 PM

Queen is like a top 20 or 25 player. Prob the highest MD recruit since Stone.

#86 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:46 PM

Queen is like a top 20 or 25 player. Prob the highest MD recruit since Stone.

Yep, 247Sports currently has him as the 17th-best recruit in the 2024 class. Stone was 6th-best in his class.

Also, from the digging I’ve done it seems like re-classification is off the table for Queen so he’ll stay in the 2024 class.
@BSLZackKiesel

#87 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2023 - 05:16 PM

Yep, 247Sports currently has him as the 17th-best recruit in the 2024 class. Stone was 6th-best in his class.

Also, from the digging I’ve done it seems like re-classification is off the table for Queen so he’ll stay in the 2024 class.

Depending on his NBA prospects, that might not be good news for MD. It is widely expected the next CBA, which would go into effect after next season, will eliminate the one-and-done rule.

#88 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 05:25 PM

Depending on his NBA prospects, that might not be good news for MD. It is widely expected the next CBA, which would go into effect after next season, will eliminate the one-and-done rule.

Awesome news about 1 and dones. Hopefully they either have to go to college for 2 years or go straight to draft. Like baseball.

#89 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2023 - 05:42 PM

Just read Queen's 24-7 profile and watched some highlights. I don't think there's any need for concern that he'd go straight to the NBA. Too short for a traditional C at that level and not athletic enough for the wing. He looks like a slightly shorter version of Stone.

#90 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 March 2023 - 01:25 PM

Maryland reportedly targeting former Towson G Nicolas Timberlake. Currently ranked as one of the best players available in the transfer portal, averaged 18 points per game and shot 42% from beyond the arc this season. Would have one year of eligibility remaining.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=