#61 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 November 2022 - 11:56 PM

So this is maybe a dumb question but can you spread the floor with 4 guards and an undersized center in NCAA? I seem to recall Gary and Turgeon having problems with small lineups, and it feels like there's a limit to how small you can go in the college game. But I felt like other coaches were much more capable of getting good results against high level competition with small lineups. I feel like this is a good class but we seem to be perpetually short big men lately.

It's not ideal in a conference like the Big Ten, but it can definitely be done. Mark Turgeon's best defensive team (2020-21) had literally no center in the rotation and it worked surprisingly well.

Willard will almost certainly add at least one big man in the transfer portal before next season, and they're going hard for 2024 5-star center Derik Queen (though he's also relatively undersized at 6'9" and plays like a modern stretch 5).

@BSLZackKiesel

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:55 PM

247: Maryland lands 7-foot big man Braden Pierce

https://247sports.co...QPe7ttAr9pVu-lk

#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 03:07 PM

:wacko:

At least its a big body I guess. Better than another guard or wing

#64 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 January 2023 - 03:09 PM

247: Maryland lands 7-foot big man Braden Pierce

https://247sports.co...QPe7ttAr9pVu-lk

Nice, a big that actually has B10 size.

@mikeghg

#65 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2023 - 06:22 PM

Not a guy who will make a big impact early, but certainly has development potential. Obviously need to add one or two immediate contributors via the freshman class or the portal.
@BSLZackKiesel

#66 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:49 AM

These new highlights of Pierce are impressive, he has a nice shot and some solid inside moves, goes after rebounds; he looks better than the bigs UMD has right now.   I know it's HS comp but still, the tape shows BIG potential. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2K6PNz

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:03 AM

These new highlights of Pierce are impressive, he has a nice shot and some solid inside moves, goes after rebounds; he looks better than the bigs UMD has right now.   I know it's HS comp but still, the tape shows BIG potential. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2K6PNz

Right, know he's not an uber prospect, but he's at IMG... that says something. No problem with adding him and seeing if you can develop. 

• SonicAttack likes this

#68 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:09 AM

Right, know he's not an uber prospect, but he's at IMG... that says something. No problem with adding him and seeing if you can develop. 

Let's see if he can become Willard's Joe Smith - doesn't hurt to wish, he does show a lot of the skills Joe flashed as a HS senior. 

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:20 AM

That would obviously be cool.  

I'll settle for another usable big for the rotation.   :)

#70 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:56 AM

I like where your heads at, but I’m having trouble remembering the last time “needs development” kind of recruit had an actual impact. Hope it works out. Just seems more and more these days, if there isn’t an impact as a freshman, there tends not to be one at all.

In the game threads, people are consistently calling for more Cornish (or for Cornish at all). Two head coaches now have refused to play him. Well, three including Manning.

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 12:16 PM

Let's see if he can become Willard's Joe Smith - doesn't hurt to wish, he does show a lot of the skills Joe flashed as a HS senior.

Whoa whoa whoa. Calm down there.

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 12:19 PM

I like where your heads at, but I’m having trouble remembering the last time “needs development” kind of recruit had an actual impact. Hope it works out. Just seems more and more these days, if there isn’t an impact as a freshman, there tends not to be one at all.

In the game threads, people are consistently calling for more Cornish (or for Cornish at all). Two head coaches now have refused to play him. Well, three including Manning.

I don't think every recruit needs to be an impact player.   Don't expect Swanton-Rodger to ever be impactful, but he's showing some signs of being a solid rotation guy.  Would be looking for the same here.  Revaz is the other side. He's now a Jr, and completely unusable on a team that lacks size. 

To argue the other side, there are only so many scholarships to go around, taking someone to just be part of the rotation, and doubting if he can ever be a significant contributor...  can argue that's pointless, and should just go for additions in the transfer market.   But maybe you want program stability, and not a full revolving door roster wise.

Cornish totally different imo.  That's a kid that was a Top 90 player Nationally, and more was expected.  Him not playing at all at this point, is definitely disappointing.  And agree, when you've had the coaching change, and he's had a year to adjust to college, and he can't crack the rotation... that's not good.

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2023 - 12:39 PM

My point with Cornish is, he didn’t contribute at all as a freshman, and in college hoops, that’s a pretty damning sign for the future these days.

Agree though, I’m not upset at the get. Just pointing out the “needs development” pretty much pours cold water on it for me.

#74 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 12:44 PM

Future stars will almost always contribute right away at least a little bit, but there are more of upperclassmen rotational guys and solid starters who had to develop over time

Hart is an example.

Going back further...Cheko, Dodd, Bender. Way further back used to happen a lot more often, partly because Gary was great at that and partly because guys stayed more frequently even if they didn't get much run as a frosh so there was more development. Landon Milbourne always been a favorite of mine that followed that path during the later Gary era. Sarunas my favorite from the earlier years.

#75 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 01:03 PM

I feel like Sarunus was contributing early in his career. Im nitpicking and I might be wrong. Its been a long time

#76 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 01:07 PM

Sarunus took the big jump between sophomore and junior years. He still was doing more in his first 2 years than Cornish is doing. Seems quite unlikely Cornish will make the kind of jump Sarunus made in year 3

#77 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 January 2023 - 12:54 PM

My point with Cornish is, he didn’t contribute at all as a freshman, and in college hoops, that’s a pretty damning sign for the future these days.

Agree though, I’m not upset at the get. Just pointing out the “needs development” pretty much pours cold water on it for me.

I don't think Cornish played his freshman year due to injury.

@mikeghg

#78 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 12:55 PM

Pierce shows good skills or he would not have had about half a dozen high major schools interested. I think its a good get for the Terps. With the skills he has shown so far, after only taking up basketball in his sophomore year in HS, I think it bodes well for Md.

#79 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 January 2023 - 01:56 PM

Pierce shows good skills or he would not have had about half a dozen high major schools interested. I think its a good get for the Terps. With the skills he has shown so far, after only taking up basketball in his sophomore year in HS, I think it bodes well for Md.

Agreed, plus there is that 7 foot thing.   That can not hurt.

@mikeghg

#80 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 January 2023 - 02:42 PM

I was hoping to find some data on the topic, but it's been tough to come by.  I tend to think that 3 star recruits are hit or miss, and at big programs with tournament aspirations, the likelihood that they develop into bona fide contributors is probably less than a coinflip.

I think Hakim Hart is a bit of an outlier because he went from a 2 or undersized 3 to a stretch 4 after growing 5 inches from his high school days.  Really hard to predict that unless you're doing MRIs of all the players to see if their growth plates are still active.

As it relates to Pierce - you can't teach height, so maybe he can amount to something.  We're lacking depth at the position so he'll have opportunities if he proves himself, but I'm not holding my breath.  It's a different ballgame at a high major versus high school.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=