1202 replies to this topic

#1101 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, but at least they got to two AFC championships and one SB on their rookie QB's contract. Not everyone can say that.

Who cares. You win or you dont

#1102 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:23 PM

KC will be favored and should be favored. Both QBs wont be 100% and Mahomes is superior.

#1103 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:28 PM

After hearing them talk all postseason, like it didn't take a fluke 98 yard fumble return for a TD to move on, I'm happy Cincy lost.

Eli Apple can shut his ass up on Twitter. Burrow can shut up about his Burrowhead BS. Mixon can take his cry baby, woman beating ass home. Sit down and find some humility. Bunch of soft, arrogant, cry babies get to go home empty handed again.

Bengals fan tears are going to fuel me until next season.

• Biggsy likes this

#1104 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:29 PM

KC will be favored and should be favored. Both QBs wont be 100% and Mahomes is superior.

I think Philly will be generally favored by Vegas and the media.

Should be a good game.

Kind of expect KC to win.

I'll be rooting for Philly.

#1105 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:32 PM

I think Philly will be generally favored by Vegas and the media.

Should be a good game.

Kind of expect KC to win.

I'll be rooting for Philly.

Weber already said 2 books have KC as the slight fav. It will widen a bit. Mahomes looked solid enough on his foot this week. He has 2 weeks to rest. Ill be shocked if the line doesnt move towards KC. Public will also be on Mahomes and the Chiefs more than Philly.

Philly looked dominant today because of the misfortune of SF QBs. If that plays at all into the line like the Giants killing Minn did in the NFC championship game in 2000 then its even better for those of us looking to bet KC

#1106 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

That Philly defense could be the x-factor, especially with a hobbled Mahomes and banged up WR corps. Did Lane Johnson get injured again today? I know he was already hurt, but if he's compromised I'd think Spags will really target that right side.

#1107 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Now the Eagles are favored in all the spots I checked by 1.5 - 2.5

#1108 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:36 PM

Chris Jones should play a big role on this game. I expect him to take advantage of a banged up Bengals line in a way the Bills couldn't. I don't see the Bengals controlling the LOS the way they did against Buffalo.

Hopefully Hurts and Purdy show off some fireworks like their Iowa State-Oklahoma showdown in college.

Chris Jones and the KC front cleaning up against that Bengals line was too predictable. The battle in the trenches should be a real treat in the SB. Strength vs strength. I bet Hurts as a runner will be more of a factor against KC.

#1109 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:36 PM

Now the Eagles are favored in all the spots I checked by 1.5 - 2.5

Get me a +3 already.

#1110 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:38 PM

After hearing them talk all postseason, like it didn't take a fluke 98 yard fumble return for a TD to move on, I'm happy Cincy lost.

Eli Apple can shut his ass up on Twitter. Burrow can shut up about his Burrowhead BS. Mixon can take his cry baby, woman beating ass home. Sit down and find some humility. Bunch of soft, arrogant, cry babies get to go home empty handed again.

So do you think the Mile high miracle was a fluke? 

The fumble return was very good luck for Hubbard being in position to grab the ball and run the other way.  The fumble was caused by good defense, an Oline that got no push, and by a QB with about a 0% understanding that when you reach the ball out over the line you need to:  A) be closer than almost two yards away with short arms, and B) pull the ball back as soon as you reach it out.  Reaching it out and holding it out there literally asks for what happened.  Maybe the coaching staff needed to let him know that's how you do the reach over the top on the goal line play.  

I'm always amazed at how fans feel like when their team wins on a wild play it's because they are that good, when they lose it's always a fluke or because the refs screwed them.  How about maybe because you just weren't that good.  Tonight, Cincinnati held their own, but on the last defensive stand, they screwed up.  They just weren't good enough.  

Still, KC, Cincy, Buffalo are the top tier in the AFC and will be for quite some time.  LA Chargers, Baltimore, possibly Jacksonville, Miami, maybe even NE and the Jets might be able to poke through that.  But my money will be on the teams that have proven they can get to the playoffs and win.  Unfortunately for everyone who is somewhat good in the AFC, so are a lot of other teams and they will be for the next several years.   

#1111 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:42 PM

The Eagles should win this. They're clearly better imo but of course it's an uneasy feeling going against Mahomes.

#1112 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:46 PM

A 98 yard fumble return on a QB sneak is flukey, yes. Regardless of how you want to frame it, that's an unbelievable way to win a game.

The Bengals are a damn good team. Their path to the AFCCG was also very unusual this season, beginning in week 17. Everyone obviously expected the Bills to play their worst game of the season in the divisional round too, of course. And then they're fortunate enough to get a hobbled Mahomes who loses his entire WR group by halftime.

It's OK to acknowledge that they caught plenty of breaks even if their team and fan base would prefer to blame everyone else.

• makoman likes this

#1113 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:48 PM

Who cares. You win or you dont

Ok, I get that.  Then by your definition, just about every NFL franchise is a loser.  I've heard people say that at least the Raven's have been mostly competitive every year with playoff chances.  I agree with that.  But since they lost in the playoffs every year except for two I guess who cares.  Personally, I think getting to the AFC championship 2 years straight with one SB appearance trumps a 1-4 playoff record the past five years.  And KC's 5 straight AFC championships and 3 SB appearances is a one up on that.  

• You Play to Win the Game and mdrunning like this

#1114 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:03 PM

A 98 yard fumble return on a QB sneak is flukey, yes. Regardless of how you want to frame it, that's an unbelievable way to win a game.

The Bengals are a damn good team. Their path to the AFCCG was also very unusual this season, beginning in week 17. Everyone obviously expected the Bills to play their worst game of the season in the divisional round too, of course. And then they're fortunate enough to get a hobbled Mahomes who loses his entire WR group by halftime.

It's OK to acknowledge that they caught plenty of breaks even if their team and fan base would prefer to blame everyone else.

It's rare, but not really flukey when you examine why it happened.  I guarantee you if every QB holds the ball out for a few seconds in an area where the entire defensive line has stopped any offensive line push, the ball will be fumbled every time.  Probably not returned for a TD.  That was just the luck of the bounce that Hubbard picked up.  But the cause of the play was an absolutely stupid play by the QB.  Or a QB who was not coached properly.  Either way, the play wasn't a fluke that it happened.  It happened because of a low football mentality at that moment.  Maybe from the QB, or maybe from the coaches that are supposed to make sure the QB understands what he needs to be doing at that point in time.  I don't know which.  I'm not in the locker room.  

As for the Bengals, yeah they did seem to get the breaks in the post season.  The game that got cancelled changed a lot.  The Bills went through a huge emotional swing and it looked like they were drained when the Bengals beat them.  Otherwise, I think Buffalo beats Cincinnati that day in Buffalo.  But they also started 0-2 and came back to go on quite a winning streak.  Hard to say they were simply there because of a lot of breaks.  They are a good team, just not good enough today.  I have a feeling that is something they and Buffalo will have to figure out going forward.  Those three teams are not going away.  

#1115 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:17 PM

It's rare, but not really flukey when you examine why it happened.  I guarantee you if every QB holds the ball out for a few seconds in an area where the entire defensive line has stopped any offensive line push, the ball will be fumbled every time.  Probably not returned for a TD.  That was just the luck of the bounce that Hubbard picked up.  But the cause of the play was an absolutely stupid play by the QB.  Or a QB who was not coached properly.  Either way, the play wasn't a fluke that it happened.  It happened because of a low football mentality at that moment.  Maybe from the QB, or maybe from the coaches that are supposed to make sure the QB understands what he needs to be doing at that point in time.  I don't know which.  I'm not in the locker room.  

As for the Bengals, yeah they did seem to get the breaks in the post season.  The game that got cancelled changed a lot.  The Bills went through a huge emotional swing and it looked like they were drained when the Bengals beat them.  Otherwise, I think Buffalo beats Cincinnati that day in Buffalo.  But they also started 0-2 and came back to go on quite a winning streak.  Hard to say they were simply there because of a lot of breaks.  They are a good team, just not good enough today.  I have a feeling that is something they and Buffalo will have to figure out going forward.  Those three teams are not going away.  

It seems like we largely agree, aside from the semantics of it being "flukey." It was horrible execution by Huntley, and questionable playcalling that entire set of downs on the goal line, but imo all of those things happening along with a fortunate bounce and Hubbard being in the exact right place at the right time is what makes it flukey. A QB sneak resulting in that turn of events is crazy enough as it is, but that entire sequence beginning with the 1st & goal qualifies as flukey to me even if it's self inflicted.

• cprenegade likes this

#1116 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:37 PM

It seems like we largely agree, aside from the semantics of it being "flukey." It was horrible execution by Huntley, and questionable playcalling that entire set of downs on the goal line, but imo all of those things happening along with a fortunate bounce and Hubbard being in the exact right place at the right time is what makes it flukey. A QB sneak resulting in that turn of events is crazy enough as it is, but that entire sequence beginning with the 1st & goal qualifies as flukey to me even if it's self inflicted.

I get that.  And that sequence was the nail in Roman's coffin.  When Dobbins went off in the locker room after the game it was obvious that Roman could no longer stay as OC.  

But I think my thing is more that if you want to say Cincinnati only won that game because of something fluky, how can you not say the same about the game the Raven's won in Denver?  Raheem Mosert made a mistake that should never happen in that game situation.  The ball bouncing right to Hubbard and him being able to run the length of the field was the fluke part about it.  Same thing almost happened to Pittsburgh against Indy years ago when they had the game wrapped up and Jerome Bettis fumbled trying to get to the end zone.  Nick Harper picked the ball up on a bounce and started running the other way.  Ben Roethlisberger shoe string tackled him or Pittsburgh probably doesn't go on to win that SB.  Sometimes crazy plays win games.  

#1117 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 12:04 AM

I get that.  And that sequence was the nail in Roman's coffin.  When Dobbins went off in the locker room after the game it was obvious that Roman could no longer stay as OC.  

But I think my thing is more that if you want to say Cincinnati only won that game because of something fluky, how can you not say the same about the game the Raven's won in Denver?  Raheem Mosert made a mistake that should never happen in that game situation.  The ball bouncing right to Hubbard and him being able to run the length of the field was the fluke part about it.  Same thing almost happened to Pittsburgh against Indy years ago when they had the game wrapped up and Jerome Bettis fumbled trying to get to the end zone.  Nick Harper picked the ball up on a bounce and started running the other way.  Ben Roethlisberger shoe string tackled him or Pittsburgh probably doesn't go on to win that SB.  Sometimes crazy plays win games.  

Wasn't that the game where Mike Vanderjagt missed a potential game-tying field goal by about 12 miles?

#1118 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 12:13 AM

People tend to forget that the 2000 Ravens were out-gained in almost every offensive category in their divisional playoff against Tennessee, and they had two punts blocked inside of their own 20 as well. A combination of those two factors usually results in a loss, but obviously didn't in this case.

On the flip side, people can grouse about that 2019 meltdown against Tennessee in the playoffs, but is there any guarantee the Ravens would have prevailed against Kansas City, even with home field advantage? 

Go back a little further and look at how close San Francisco came to a three-peat in the 1990 NFC championship against the Giants. One ill-timed Roger Craig fumble kept them from a possible date with history.

#1119 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 12:19 AM

Well yeah, there's a reason it's called the Mile High Miracle, emphasis on miracle. But in general, a defensive back having to make a play on a deep ball to a wide open receiver is very different from what we're talking about. From a skill, talent, execution, X's and O's, etc perspective, they're just completely different types of plays.

But I'm not saying that flukey play is the ONLY reason the Bengals won the game. I think Bengals fans harping on the controversial 3rd down redo from tonight is asinine when KC punted on that drive. Many plays decide a game, but there's no doubt the fumble return was the absolute critical difference, especially at that late juncture. The piss poor clock management at the end by the Ravens was an important and timely factor  as well, but the 14 point swing was a death knell.

#1120 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 04:17 AM

Chiefs/Bengals might be the best matchup in the NFL right now. The Chiefs created havoc by pressuring and sacking Burrow. Aside from the intetceptions, he made teo or three poor throws that should have been picked. Mahomes is simply a beast.

I think KC wins the Super Bowl by a similar score (23-20).
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=