623 replies to this topic

#21 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:17 AM

You should see what Parsons did for the Cowboys defense this season. Went from bottom tier in takeaways to first in the NFL in takeaways this season, and a lot of that can be attributed to him.

He went 12th and the Cowboys didnt give up a 1st to get him. I hate giving up future 1st. Its bad business. Its necessary to get elite QBs though

#22 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:20 AM

Why would they take an OT?  They have Stanley, James, and Mekari.  You could bring back Villanueva if he takes a salary reduction.  

DL needs bodies and a youth infusion.  

I'm good with Linderbaum at 14.  He's an animal.  I want the Punt God in round 3.  Is it April yet?

• Biggsy likes this

@fuzydunlop

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:21 AM

He went 12th and the Cowboys didnt give up a 1st to get him. I hate giving up future 1st. Its bad business. Its necessary to get elite QBs though

I hear you, but getting to the QB needs to be a priority - and they can't keep trying to sign re-treads to do that for them. That, and it isn't Wink's specialty, despite pulling from areas of strength to still not get to the QB often times. I'm not advocating moving up, it'd have to depend on the circumstances, but they need to start disrupting opposing QB's again. I'll put it to you like this, they need to build a defense that can contain Joe Burrow. 

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:22 AM

Why would they take an OT?  They have Stanley, James, and Mekari.  You could bring back Villanueva if he takes a salary reduction.  

DL needs bodies and a youth infusion.  

I'm good with Linderbaum at 14.  He's an animal.  I want the Punt God in round 3.  Is it April yet?

Because Stanley has played 7 games in 2 years, James has played 3 games in 3 years, and Mekari is just a guy.

• BaltBird 24, bmore_ken, russsnyder and 1 other like this

#25 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:24 AM

Know nothing about this draft, but would be nice to have a little QB+WR run in the top 15 like this year.

The rankings will no doubt move around a lot in the next few months.

#26 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:25 AM

They just extended Mekari.  He played really well at RT this year.  We're stuck with Stanley whether he can play well or not.

• Mackus likes this

@fuzydunlop

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:28 AM

They just extended Mekari.  He played really well at RT this year.  We're stuck with Stanley whether he can play well or not.

Mekari's usable versatility is great.  Stanley has to be expected back in-terms of the cap.  But you absolutely can't go into next year relying on him to be back to his Pro Bowl prior self.   You could just go with Stanley, Mekari, and James and it could end up more than okay.  No thanks though.  I'll be highly irritated if they don't add a tackle with the 1st or 2nd pick. 

In whatever order, those two initial picks need to be the lines imo.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:35 AM

I'm rolling the dice on Stanley/James/Mekari being sufficient and then filling another big hole with our top pick.  I get the conservative approach of going tackle in the 1st or with the only big size FA splash the Ravens can afford.  Helps sure up the line which was a problem.  But it comes at the cost of not being able to find a safety or CB or DE.  With the added knowledge that the team must have about both Stanley and James, if there is confidence that they can play I would bet on them and fill other needs.  If it's panic mode on both, especially Stanley, only then would I consider a tackle.

A 2nd round tackle doesn't help in 2022, probably not capable of playing well on the outside in year 1 or else they'd have gone much earlier.  Think KO.  Perfectly good pick, but not a capable tackle at the outset.  That's true of most 2nd round picks for most positions.  Only the 1st round pick should be a penciled in starter (and even that is a gamble).  Might find other starters or significant contributors, in the 2nd or later, but that better not be the plan.  Ravens haven't had a 2nd or 3rd round pick that was better than a rotational guy right away since Baby Zeus and Andrews.  Before then you gotta go back to Timmy Jernigan.  Dobbins could count but that wasn't until late in the season.  You cannot anticipate your Day 2 picks helping in the first half of 2022.  Or at least you shouldn't.

• You Play to Win the Game and McNulty like this

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:42 AM

Just cant go OL unless they know Stanley is done

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:45 AM

I'm rolling the dice on Stanley/James/Mekari being sufficient and then filling another big hole with our top pick.  I get the conservative approach of going tackle in the 1st or with the only big size FA splash the Ravens can afford.  Helps sure up the line which was a problem.  But it comes at the cost of not being able to find a safety or CB or DE.  With the added knowledge that the team must have about both Stanley and James, if there is confidence that they can play I would bet on them and fill other needs.  If it's panic mode on both, especially Stanley, only then would I consider a tackle.

A 2nd round tackle doesn't help in 2022, probably not capable of playing well on the outside in year 1 or else they'd have gone much earlier.  Think KO.  Perfectly good pick, but not a capable tackle at the outset.  That's true of most 2nd round picks for most positions.  Only the 1st round pick should be a penciled in starter. Might find other starters or significant contributors, in the 2nd or later, but that better not be the plan.  Ravens haven't had a 2nd or 3rd round pick that was better than a rotational guy right away since Baby Zeus and Andrews.  Before then you gotta go back to Timmy Jernigan.  Dobbins could count but that wasn't until late in the season.  You cannot anticipate your Day 2 picks helping in the first half of 2022.  Or at least you shouldn't.

Plus the Ravens have had  success, def more than most, at developing OL talent. Now, when it comes to LT, if Stanley is done(either know he is going to be a shell of him former self or has to retire) then you can look to address that position early in the draft. All that said, if this kid from Iowa is really that good then I have no problem plug and playing him at C or even LG.

#31 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:59 AM

Just cant go OL unless they know Stanley is done

May want to do a little research on Linderbaum. If he's the pick at 14, that would be a huge get for the offensive line. Dude has all-pro for the next decade written all over him.

#32 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:03 PM

Mekari's usable versatility is great. Stanley has to be expected back in-terms of the cap. But you absolutely can't go into next year relying on him to be back to his Pro Bowl prior self. You could just go with Stanley, Mekari, and James and it could end up more than okay. No thanks though. I'll be highly irritated if they don't add a tackle with the 1st or 2nd pick.

In whatever order, those two initial picks need to be the lines imo.

The only reason I would want Green over Linderbaum is for the extra protection at either tackle spot. Green is best at LG. But his ability to play LT or RT at a high level is invaluable. You take him at 14, you have a mauler at LG. If Stanley comes back and Mekari can continue to give you above average protection at RT, you now have a great line with Stanley, Green, Bozeman/FA pick up, Zietler and Mekari. Offense is basically set at that point and you can focus all other resources on the defense.

#33 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:46 PM

It's a cop out but it's true as ever--BPA who isn't an offensive skill position. 

If you think this center has multiple all pro written all over him, sign me up. Aaron Donald was the 13th pick--if you see that kind of interior pressure and disruption potential in someone, go for it. This safety that Biggsy thinks should be a top 5 pick, I like it. An Edge who can make an immediate impact and teams will have to pick their poison with Oweh? Sounds good.

There are enough holes that multiple places could use a high impact guy, so basically the best top guy who's left sounds fine. I do want to address OT, and if that's BPA at 14 so be it as James isn't signed past 2022 anyway, but if the team is confident in the health of Stanley and James other places could use the resources. I might prefer to target a T in the second instead. Upgrading both lines should definitely be an overall goal of the offseason.

• JStruds likes this

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:58 PM

It's a cop out but it's true as ever--BPA who isn't an offensive skill position.

If you think this center has multiple all pro written all over him, sign me up. Aaron Donald was the 13th pick--if you see that kind of interior pressure and disruption potential in someone, go for it. This safety that Biggsy thinks should be a top 5 pick, I like it. An Edge who can make an immediate impact and teams will have to pick their poison with Oweh? Sounds good.

There are enough holes that multiple places could use a high impact guy, so basically the best top guy who's left sounds fine. I do want to address OT, and if that's BPA at 14 so be it as James isn't signed past 2022 anyway, but if the team is confident in the health of Stanley and James other places could use the resources. I might prefer to target a T in the second instead. Upgrading both lines should definitely be an overall goal of the offseason.

Pretty much. Can afford BPA thats not a WR,TE, QB, or RB. Still dont think its likely we need to address T at 14 but if its a guy whos in a tier above Im good with it

#35 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:19 PM

Hamilton was rated top 5 before the bowl games. He got injured during the Fiesta Bowl. Haven't seen what it was but its caused a drop in where he might be picked.

He was hurt back in October during the USC game. He sat out the rest of the season including the bowl game, but it's not clear whether all of that was due to injury. I think it's likely he would've sat out the bowl game anyway to protect himself, like Kyren Williams did.

Either way, if he falls to around 10 or so, I'd love to see the Ravens use some of that ammo they have to move up and get him. I'm biased as an Irish fan, but I also watched him play a lot and he's been a stud since he stepped foot on the field as a true freshman. I've watched him make some incredible plays in coverage to create a turnover where his corner got beat and it looked sure to be a big play for the offense. Definitely a game-changing type of playmaker. Very physical too. And he's huge for a safety.

But Linderbaum would make a ton of sense too. Generally speaking, I'm all for them improving the trenches on both sides of the ball. And I'd like to see the draft as a whole be more defense heavy.

#36 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:57 PM

You should see what Parsons did for the Cowboys defense this season. Went from bottom tier in takeaways to first in the NFL in takeaways this season, and a lot of that can be attributed to him.

I mean...Trevon Diggs...

#37 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:25 PM

I mean...Trevon Diggs...

Talk about feast or famine. He puts Marcus Peters to shame. He had 11 picks. He also got beat more than any other CB in football.

#38 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:32 PM

Talk about feast or famine. He puts Marcus Peters to shame. He had 11 picks. He also got beat more than any other CB in football.

Peters is exactly the comp I told my cowboys fan friends.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:35 PM

I mean...Trevon Diggs...

In league part due to the disruption caused by Parsons. I’m not making this up, watch his INT’s. Parsons was a huge reason for a few of them.

#40 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:54 PM

In league part due to the disruption caused by Parsons. I’m not making this up, watch his INT’s. Parsons was a huge reason for a few of them.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've been using Parsons as an example of the kind of player I think they can find with a pick as high as they have. Elite defenders go in the teen picks yearly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=