3122 replies to this topic

#3101 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:53 AM

The possible smart thing to do was bring in Brown for a series to see if the Steelers backed off. If Huntley is having shoulder problems they could have brought in the stronger thrower. I know the coaching staff wouldn't see it that way.

#3102 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 09:47 AM

PressBox: Former Ravens HC Brian Billick: No Good Head Coach Would Veto Coordinator’s Play Call

#3103 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 10:46 AM

It's not about vetoing a play call while the play clock is running.  Not at all.  It's about more the general direction and overall management of strengths vs weaknesses, field position, clock and points, etc.

There are some sideline tidbits in the SB 35 "official" championship video during the latter part of the Superbowl... Billick telling Cavanagh that getting the 3 points is huge (because he understands the combination of clock and how the game has gone to that point means 3 more points pretty much seals the deal).  Then when they get to a first and goal, he says "pound it in"... which maybe I'm crazy... but sounds a lot like a head coach telling his OC to "run the friggin' ball here".  Not telling him what to call specifically, or who to give it to, just the concept... and basically don't get cute and risk anything that can lose us points / give them hope.  Later on when the game is basically locked in, he's heard saying "Just run it and kick the FG".

https://youtu.be/TRXnLQvFkHk

It's saying at halftime, "I want to see us stay on the ground more, get Gus more involved, etc..."  Or when you take over possession midway through the 4th with a lead, suggest that they "Stay with the run, I want us to burn some clock or make them burn their TOs... at worst we'll pin them deep and make them more one dimensional".  Telling your DC when up 21 in the 4th, "Keep the ball in front at all costs; maybe go 3 deep and force the under, the clock is our friend".  Just ballpark concepts.  These are things I don't believe John does very much, based on some of his own statements over the years along with a mountain range of "circumstantial" visual evidence.    ;)

• makoman likes this

#3104 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 January 2023 - 10:54 AM

With the money Lamar wants, he should have veto authority and borderline play calling authority like other QB’s making that type of money.
  • Mike in STL and makoman like this

#3105 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 10:59 AM

With the money Lamar wants, he should have veto authority and borderline play calling authority like other QB’s making that type of money.

I agree 100%. If you're paying a guy top QB money, that means you should trust him to be able to run the offense on his own if needed.

I think Roman has some control issues in that regard.

#3106 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 11:19 AM

It's not about vetoing a play call while the play clock is running.  Not at all.  It's about more the general direction and overall management of strengths vs weaknesses, field position, clock and points, etc.

There are some sideline tidbits in the SB 35 "official" championship video during the latter part of the Superbowl... Billick telling Cavanagh that getting the 3 points is huge (because he understands the combination of clock and how the game has gone to that point means 3 more points pretty much seals the deal).  Then when they get to a first and goal, he says "pound it in"... which maybe I'm crazy... but sounds a lot like a head coach telling his OC to "run the friggin' ball here".  Not telling him what to call specifically, or who to give it to, just the concept... and basically don't get cute and risk anything that can lose us points / give them hope.  Later on when the game is basically locked in, he's heard saying "Just run it and kick the FG".

https://youtu.be/TRXnLQvFkHk

It's saying at halftime, "I want to see us stay on the ground more, get Gus more involved, etc..."  Or when you take over possession midway through the 4th with a lead, suggest that they "Stay with the run, I want us to burn some clock or make them burn their TOs... at worst we'll pin them deep and make them more one dimensional".  Telling your DC when up 21 in the 4th, "Keep the ball in front at all costs; maybe go 3 deep and force the under, the clock is our friend".  Just ballpark concepts.  These are things I don't believe John does very much, based on some of his own statements over the years along with a mountain range of "circumstantial" visual evidence.    ;)

I agree with everything you said but it's a pretty sad commentary that Harbaugh would have to say that to his coordinators. You would like to think they'd have enough sense in their heads to do those things on their own.  Apparently not.  Either way, I doubt Harbaugh changes how he navigates through games now after all these years.  

#3107 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 10:39 PM

I feel like he’s at his best sometime when they are in the two minute drill, calling it on the fly. Not in the huddle waiting for a Roman to call a 23 word long play name that he has to repeat twice then get to the line with 1.5 seconds to read the defense.
@BSLMikeRandall

#3108 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 January 2023 - 10:49 PM

I feel like he’s at his best sometime when they are in the two minute drill, calling it on the fly. Not in the huddle waiting for a Roman to call a 23 word long play name that he has to repeat twice then get to the line with 1.5 seconds to read the defense.

I posed this question some time ago, but does anyone know why Lamar takes a couple seconds to look at his wristband after they break the huddle? Seems like wasted seconds to me when you factor in that they want to be able to do shifts and motion before the snap.

#3109 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 08:47 AM

Have you noticed Huntley doesn't seem to have that issue. They are likely keeping it simple, but you don't see him looking at the wrist band when he walks to the line.

#3110 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,778 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 08:48 AM

Have you noticed Huntley doesn't seem to have that issue. They are likely keeping it simple, but you don't see him looking at the wrist band when he walks to the line.

Yeah. They did finally talk about needing to fix the timing issues right around the time Lamar got hurt, so it may not be entirely the QB change, but definitely is a bit of a finger-point towards Lamar that it hasn't been as common of a problem with Huntley at QB.

#3111 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 January 2023 - 10:08 AM

Yeah. They did finally talk about needing to fix the timing issues right around the time Lamar got hurt, so it may not be entirely the QB change, but definitely is a bit of a finger-point towards Lamar that it hasn't been as common of a problem with Huntley at QB.

I was watching a Ravens Wired from late in 2018 and Harbaugh was mic'd up. In one of the clips, he said into the headset how well Lamar used the clock, particularly for a young QB.

It makes you wonder what's changed since last year. This playclock phenomenon has seemingly become issue beginning last year.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3112 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 07 January 2023 - 07:54 PM

https://twitter.com/...fMZSvOj04Q&s=19

You'll be fondly remembered, Mr. Boyle.

#3113 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:14 PM

I'm just hoping these are the first moves in getting Harbaugh and Roman outta here.

#3114 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:29 PM

I think you will get 1 out of 2 of your New Years wishes.  I think Roman is definitely gone, Harbuagh most likely stays.  

#3115 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:34 PM

I think you will get 1 out of 2 of your New Years wishes.  I think Roman is definitely gone, Harbuagh most likely stays.  

I'm keeping hope alive. I still remember when no one thought Billick was going away. 

#3116 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:47 PM

https://twitter.com/...fMZSvOj04Q&s=19

You'll be fondly remembered, Mr. Boyle.

Today is a deadline for teams cutting players and a 24-hour waiver claim deadline.

• Mackus likes this

#3117 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:56 PM

I'm keeping hope alive. I still remember when no one thought Billick was going away.

Lol one was was coming off a 5 win season. The other a playoff berth. Also the only reason no one thought Billick was going anywhere was because Bischotti said he wasnt going anywhere. He changed his mind a month later. Cant remember exactly how long before he was fired that he said he was safe

#3118 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 10:10 PM

He changed his mind a month later.

Exactly

#3119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 08:14 AM

Steve listened to the players. They wanted BB gone. I doubt that is the case with Harbaugh. Steve likely sees a coach finishing another season without his star QB and trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. More Likely Lamar leaves and John Boy stays. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3120 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:44 AM

Steve listened to the players. They wanted BB gone. I doubt that is the case with Harbaugh. Steve likely sees a coach finishing another season without his star QB and trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. More Likely Lamar leaves and John Boy stays. 

Sadly I agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=