3122 replies to this topic

#3081 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:37 AM

I heard on the news this morning that Hamlin's uncle talked to a reporter and said that his heart had to be restarted again once they got to the hospital. He's in a prone position, face down and still heavily sedated. The oxygen being administered was reduced to 50% so that was a good sign at least. Recovery is going to be long and there still is the unknown factor of how much, if any, brain damage occurred since he wasn't breathing on his own for upwards of 9 minutes.

Just terrible. At this point it would be amazing for him just to live a normal life. A return to football would be miraculous.

#3082 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:25 PM

Who made that complaint?

Cprenegade

Pittsburgh came in selling out totally against the run. The Ravens made no attempts to adjust in any way and it caught up to them.

#3083 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:39 PM

Cprenegade

I missed that, but he's off base. Dobbins was killing it despite that. 

#3084 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:02 PM

I thought it was very uneven night for Dobbins, despite the overall numbers looking solid. 11 of his 17 carries went for 4 yards or less, 5 of which were for no gain or negative yardage. Granted, Dobbins also had carries of 15, 17, 12 and 22 yards.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the problem stemmed from predictability. We ran on almost every 1st down. Then, if it was 2nd and 7 or more, we dropped back to throw (Huntley did run on some of those dropbacks), less than 7 yards to go, we ran. 

I think that Cprenegade's point was in response to my post about the play sequencing and how it related to Pittsburgh's defensive formations and personnel groupings most of the night. There were ample opportunities to utilize play action on 1st down and get a chunk play here or there. The perfect spot to do so would've been after the Justice Hill kick off return.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3085 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:12 PM

Sunday's game is set for 1pm.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3086 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,327 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:13 PM

He was on the outside/off-tackle runs, but for the most part, anything they tried to do inside with the run game wasn't working.

#3087 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:21 PM

He was on the outside/off-tackle runs, but for the most part, anything they tried to do inside with the run game wasn't working.

That shows you how dense Roman is.  If it's working bouncing it outside, keep doing it until they adjust and stop you.  Let Edwards have some fun with it too.  There's always an adjustment that can be made either passing or running and in that department, Roman is clueless for the most part.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#3088 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:27 PM

So is it really looking like the Cincy-Bills game will be a draw?

That gives Cincy the division and likely the 3 seed. Unless KC or Buf loses. Would mean a rematch in the WC round

#3089 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:43 PM

So is it really looking like the Cincy-Bills game will be a draw?

That gives Cincy the division and likely the 3 seed. Unless KC or Buf loses. Would mean a rematch in the WC round

I think the league is trying to kick the can because there is no good answer. With that said, if the Ravens manage to beat Cincy on Sunday, I don't think there's any choice but to play the game. In that scenario, if I'm the Ravens, there's no way I'm giving up the shot at the #3 seed and a home game. Furthermore, the #1 seed and homefield advantage are on the line between KC and Buffalo. 

I know it's an impossible position for the league but with the bye week built in between the championship games and the Super Bowl, there's latitude there to bump the postseason back a week and play Cincy-Buffalo next weekend.

• makoman likes this

@primetime667083

#3090 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:54 PM

I think the league is trying to kick the can because there is no good answer. With that said, if the Ravens manage to beat Cincy on Sunday, I don't think there's any choice but to play the game. In that scenario, if I'm the Ravens, there's no way I'm giving up the shot at the #3 seed and a home game. Furthermore, the #1 seed and homefield advantage are on the line between KC and Buffalo. 

I know it's an impossible position for the league but with the bye week built in between the championship games and the Super Bowl, there's latitude there to bump the postseason back a week and play Cincy-Buffalo next weekend.

How much is a home playoff game worth to a team, monetarily? I know at least ticket revenue is shared, but I'd have to think a good bit from other sources, and at least you have the goodwill of having the local area packed when it wouldn't be otherwise. These are all billionaire businesspeople, I think it'd be tough for one of them to look at another and say "you should just forget about that home playoff money, no big deal right?"

The bye is there and an easy choice to use it. 

• BSLJamieSieck likes this

#3091 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:02 PM

I thought it was very uneven night for Dobbins, despite the overall numbers looking solid. 11 of his 17 carries went for 4 yards or less, 5 of which were for no gain or negative yardage. Granted, Dobbins also had carries of 15, 17, 12 and 22 yards.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the problem stemmed from predictability. We ran on almost every 1st down. Then, if it was 2nd and 7 or more, we dropped back to throw (Huntley did run on some of those dropbacks), less than 7 yards to go, we ran.

I think that Cprenegade's point was in response to my post about the play sequencing and how it related to Pittsburgh's defensive formations and personnel groupings most of the night. There were ample opportunities to utilize play action on 1st down and get a chunk play here or there. The perfect spot to do so would've been after the Justice Hill kick off return.

Huntley pretty much needs to be perfect with his accuracy and he's been noticeably worse since that 27 for 32 game. I probably would have liked to see some short passes on first down - if they're selling out against the run those throws are ones Huntley can make and still punish the defense.

But we only have 1 legitimate receiving threat most of the time so it's tough. Those plays are only going to get 3-4 yards unless someone can make a defender miss, and our receivers can't do that.

This feels crazy to bring up but the WR screens that Hollywood would catch and run for like 4 yards would he a big help. Huntley doesn't have the receivers to help him like he did last year (and he already proved last year that he's not a starting QB.)

#3092 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:09 PM

Huntley pretty much needs to be perfect with his accuracy and he's been noticeably worse since that 24 for 28 game. I probably would have liked to see some short passes on first down - if they're selling out against the run those throws are ones Huntley can make and still punish the defense.

But we only have 1 legitimate receiving threat most of the time so it's tough.

In the Atlanta game, we took a shot down the seam to Oliver that was close and then hit Andrews on the deep ball down the sideline. At some point, you have to show the other team that you're willing to do something and force them to defend it. Particularly when the defense is only using 3 DBs most of the night, you can exploit that even out of heavy sets. Andrews can run by LBs and outmuscle DBs. Oliver has a size advantage over most defenders. And no, it's not ideal with the QB situation and WR situation but you can't simply remove it from the playbook and make things easier on the defense.

@primetime667083

#3093 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:12 PM

https://frontoffices...readed-comments

#3094 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:16 PM

Agreed. I think they have to play the game. It means too much to too many teams in the AFC playoffs.

#3095 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:18 PM

Sweet, should be around when Lamar's career is winding down :)

#3096 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:23 PM

Two things interested me.

1) It's only a 15-year lease, though it does have two 5-year options to extend, so it could ultimately be for 25 years. I don't know how long the municipal bonds are that the state will use to raise the $600M, but if they are longer-term I would have thought they'd insist on having the Ravens locked in for the full term.

2) Like with the current lease, the Ravens must play all their home games in the stadium. That means they can only play an overseas game as the "visitor."

#3097 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 06:47 PM

Interesting that the NFL permits clauses like “no overseas home games for you”

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3098 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:17 PM

I think my point in saying they made no attempts to adjust what they were doing was not to say they should go pass happy, but rather to say they needed to stop running the same thing over and over and expecting different results because clearly Pittsburgh was all over it.  

Dobbins ran for 93 yards on 17 carries.  But 4 of those runs went for 15, 17, 12, and 22 yards for a total of 66 yards. Three of the 4 runs were to the outside.  The other 13 carries resulted in 27 yards, an average of just 2.  Most of those were up the middle.  Gus Edwards had a total of 3 carries, 2 of which were for no gain up the middle and both came on the same 3 and out series.  How can the coaching staff not see that Pittsburgh was clogging the middle all night long.

The passes they were throwing were all to TE's.  Two catches for WRs.  Now I get that the WRs they have are bottom of the barrel, but you have to at least keep the defense guessing.  They only had 130 yards passing and 100 yards went to Mark Andrews.  Add in the 24 yards that Huntley had and 217 yards of their 240 total came from two people plus QB scrambles.  Did they attempt any screens?  Any draws?  I don't remember any, but maybe they did.   Did they go deep at all?  You have to at least try once or twice. 

Counter that with Pittsburgh's offense that featured two backs with over 75 yards, and Pickett completed more than one pass to 6 people.  Five of those six had over 20 yards in the passing game, Harris had 12.  And Pittsburgh's offense wasn't exactly an unstoppable force.

I just thought the Raven's coaching staff threw down a game plan of this is what we are going to do all night long and even though it keeps being stopped, we're not going to change it up in any way.  

#3099 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:33 PM

Interesting that the NFL permits clauses like “no overseas home games for you”

Green Bay had never played in London during the season until this year. I don't know if they have a similar clause, but they're very reluctant to give up home dates, and conversely, other clubs don't want to lose them as the visiting team due to the following they attract. 

#3100 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:23 PM

That's Roman. If it's working outside, you run that  until they show they can stop it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=