#2001 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 07 October 2022 - 10:25 PM

Didnt we hear that the Ravens might try to recoup some money from Stanley if he doesnt play. Is that even possible with him practicing?? Can they try to say they have him as healthy and Ronnie refused to play??

Considering he's still missing one practice a week I'm sure he'll be able to knock on the door of any orthopedist who will declare him unfit for medical reasons.

#2002 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:36 AM

Also understand the frustration fans are feeling, but I get really annoyed with the attacks on Ronnie's character. The worst part of being a sports fan.

Agreed.

It's extemely unfair to question Stanley's character. As frustrating as it is for some fans, the guy has been battling significant injuries for two years.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#2003 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 02:03 PM

Agreed.

It's extemely unfair to question Stanley's character. As frustrating as it is for some fans, the guy has been battling significant injuries for two years.

I agree

#2004 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 02:06 PM

If he's healthy enough to practice for multiple weeks...play.

If you aren't healthy...stop practicing and get right.

#2005 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2022 - 02:07 PM

Life is unfair. Who cares. Fans gonna fan. Not that I’m doing it, but I don’t understand that bothering people. Stanley is incredibly wealthy, he’ll be just fine.

#2006 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 03:27 PM

Life is unfair. Who cares. Fans gonna fan. Not that I’m doing it, but I don’t understand that bothering people. Stanley is incredibly wealthy, he’ll be just fine.

Exactly. Who was more of a athletic train wreck than Chris Davis, who's also filthy rich and probably loving life right now? It always amazes me that fans actually think these athletes care what they think.

#2007 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:09 PM

Yeah. This is the worst part of being a sports fan.

#2008 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2022 - 05:14 PM

Wouldn’t crack my top 1 million lost for things wrong in this world. But my own experiences probably shape that viewpoint, so we can agree to disagree. Not that I think questioning anyone’s character is a great human trait.

#2009 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 06:58 PM

Personally I don't judge people who's shoes I'm not walking in. But that's just me.  

#2010 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:01 PM

If he's healthy enough to practice for multiple weeks...play.

If you aren't healthy...stop practicing and get right.

It appears that he gets held out of at least one practice per week. That tells me that something is not right with Stanley.

I doubt that Stanley plays this week or next.(The Giant's field tirf is regarded as one of the worst surfaces in the league.) Frankly, I wouldn't holdvit agsonst him if he never plays again. I don't think I'd want to be using a cane in my 30's if I could help it.

#2011 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:09 PM

If you sit back and objectively analyze the whole dynamics of being a sports fan, it does become absurd how seriously we take it. And how elated or upset we get depending on the outcome of games. To the point where the emotions can carry over for several days. Or how angry we can get with individual players. As a grown man, I really have to ask myself sometimes why I let it get to me when the Ravens lose. Does it really matter in my life? Does the Ravens winning a game suddenly make my life better? Or worse? Of course not and I think the players realize that and for that reason, could care less what a fan thinks. Really, outside of wagering your own money and risking losing it all(or winning money), its all pretty meaningless in grand scheme of life. And with all of that said, you best believe I won't be a happy camper Monday morning if the Bengals win. Crazy, isn't it?
  • bmore_ken likes this

#2012 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:12 PM

Yeah I view it as fans venting, even if it’s a bit ugly sometimes, and doing so in a manner that will never get back to the person. It’s not that much different than people thinking it, and you can’t tell me a lot of people haven’t pondered such things, it’s only natural. Anyone sitting around hating a player in any real way or even judging them as a human, yeah, not really a fan of that at all. There is a LOT of deep hatred out there in the fan universe for people they’ve never and never will meet or have a conversation with. That part is the worst. Fans getting itchy about their stud LT maybe coming back on a message board? I’m not going to judge you at all.

#2013 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:16 PM

Garafolo and Rapoport say Stanley is playing tomorrow.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Bmore Irish like this

#2014 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:16 PM

It appears that he gets held out of at least one practice per week. That tells me that something is not right with Stanley.

I doubt that Stanley plays this week or next.(The Giant's field tirf is regarded as one of the worst surfaces in the league.) Frankly, I wouldn't holdvit agsonst him if he never plays again. I don't think I'd want to be using a cane in my 30's if I could help it.

I think this is probably right. Mike B has been on it too. We’ll see what happens. I’m not counting on him at this point, so it is what it is. My joke about the breeze was more at the Ravens being cautious. But in truth, I’m glad they are trying something different and trying to stay healthy, even if the returns have been uneven to this point. Really, at the end of the day, this is football and there’s never going to be any way around that.

#2015 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:18 PM

Hell of a human! ;)

No, that’s awesome. Wonder if he’ll rotate? Be on a snap count? I’m excited to watch him play. If he is able to stay healthy, I’m sure it’ll be a while until he’s back to form, if ever, he was quite the beast.

#2016 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:11 PM

Great news. But yeah, fans discussing and being frustrated about a situation like Stanley's is harmless imo. Who cares? It's frustrating, and it's part of being a fan.

The problem is the people who get on social media and run their mouths to players or their family members, particularly high school and college students. It's pathetic. Those are the real losers, often hiding behind anonymity.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2017 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:19 PM

I would never question Stanley's commitment or toughness.  Quite simply put, I have no idea what he is going through.  I know in my own field (systems analyst - programmer) I have encountered a lot of people and their "pain/discomfort" level.  I've known people who will come into work with the flu (against everyone's wishes), and those who will call out with a hang nail.  

From what I've read, Stanley's injury was messy and severe enough that retirement was at least mentioned.  Talking to a medical buddy of mine he said had I suffered the same injury at Stanley's age, that at my age now, decades later, I would be walking with a noticeable limp and probably use a cane.  That's how bad his injury was.  

I've questioned whether or not he will ever have the strength he once had, and I do think it's fair to critique his performance once he returns, but I'm not going to say he's soft or milking it or whatever.  I think that would only be an assessment I could make if I had a lot of personal contact with the man.   

• bmore_ken and russsnyder like this

#2018 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:22 PM

This can't be true. Everyone knows NFL insiders are just randos in Mom's basement making things up.

#2019 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 03:12 AM

I think this is probably right. Mike B has been on it too. We’ll see what happens. I’m not counting on him at this point, so it is what it is. My joke about the breeze was more at the Ravens being cautious. But in truth, I’m glad they are trying something different and trying to stay healthy, even if the returns have been uneven to this point. Really, at the end of the day, this is football and there’s never going to be any way around that.

BTW, I thought your comment was funny. My issue with some fans are the comments that imply that Stanley doesn't want to play and is only riding the contract for the $.I'm sure that the rehab process after these injuries has been very demanding and difficult. While I understand the frustration, the guy has obviously been working hard to get back. That's all you can really expect.
  • Mackus, bmore_ken and cprenegade like this

#2020 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 03:14 AM

Great news. But yeah, fans discussing and being frustrated about a situation like Stanley's is harmless imo. Who cares? It's frustrating, and it's part of being a fan.

The problem is the people who get on social media and run their mouths to players or their family members, particularly high school and college students. It's pathetic. Those are the real losers, often hiding behind anonymity.

Good post.

Yeah, the social media attacks on players is a head scratcher for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=