234 replies to this topic

#141 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 11:00 PM

Need a new coach if they want to ever be relevant.

#142 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 November 2022 - 06:17 PM

The Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix, AZ seems to be the most likely destination for Maryland this year. 247Sports, CBS, and ESPN are all projecting the Terps to take part in that game. Projected opponents include Kansas and Texas Tech.
@BSLZackKiesel

#143 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,416 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 November 2022 - 08:08 PM

Much worse places than Phoenix to go in December. It's gonna suck for you all on the east coast that want to watch though....10:15pm kickoff.

#144 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 November 2022 - 08:11 PM

Much worse places than Phoenix to go in December. It's gonna suck for you all on the east coast that want to watch though....10:15pm kickoff.

Let's just hope they make it more worth our while than they did the last time they had a west coast bowl game.

@BSLZackKiesel

#145 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 November 2022 - 09:26 AM

Assuming the regular season plays out as expected, and even if they pick up a bowl win to get to eight, it's hard to see this season overall as a sign of progress.

The added win came more as a result of Michigan State being bad instead of the Top 10 team they finished as last season. The only result that felt like a step forward was a 7-point loss back in September. Since then it has been the same thing every week, mistake-prone and sometimes just flat-out listless showings.

Maybe 7-8 wins is their ceiling most years. I think it depends on the schedule and the overall quality of the conference. Some years that would certainly be considered a success. This season it feels like they were capable of more and left opportunities on the field.

I feel pretty much the same way.  I did not see a lot of progress this year.  The penalties the coaching mistakes, and at times lack of fire seem to define Maryland football.

@mikeghg

#146 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 11:39 AM

Balt Sun: Nearing end of Year 4, Maryland football coach Mike Locksley is still seeking consistency: ‘I think we’re close’

#147 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:02 PM

Last February I said: 

IMO it's about taking incremental steps, positioning you to take a larger leap later.

- Step 0 is improving the facilities. (Check.)
- Step 1 is stacking classes.... which MD is starting to do.

- Step 2 is getting into the bowl cycle. Increased practices, and a necessary step.

- Step 3 is not being run off the field in games against the best, winning all the games you should, and winning some of the toss-up games. Springing the occasional upset.
- Step 4 is defending your homefield. 

- Step 5 is jumping into the back of the Top 25.

There are more steps beyond that, but to me this is what the next 2-4 years is. 

'22 is incredibly important. 

You've got a quality experienced QB returning from a  bowl winning team.
You've got strong offensive weapons, and an experienced oline. 

You've got to maximize that. 

I didn't include, but maybe Step 1.5... continue to improve the tailgating and game day experience. A better fan experience is better for the players, and better for recruiting. 

I also didn't include further investment into the coaching staff. Seems like a pretty solid Asst staff right now. If you believe in them, give them what they need to stick around a couple of years. If you believe you can improve on them, spend the money to do so.

As I just said in the other thread, I think the Purdue game was there for them, and they had no business being blown out by Penn State...  but back-to-back years with a bowl. 7 wins last year. Possible 8 wins this year. 

Go win the bowl.
Finish on a high with the recruiting class. 

No steps back next year, regardless of who leaves. 

#148 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:04 PM

The next steps are not regressing, and finding a way to get into the back of the Top 25. 

And before thinking of Ohio State and Michigan... it's aiming for Penn State. 

#149 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,416 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:24 PM

The next step is don't lose any of your top players to the transfer portal.

#150 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:25 PM

I feel like that's inevitable for even the top programs.

#151 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:27 PM

Well you said, players not talents, so okay.... but they lost a lot of players to the portal after last year (Wiki says 31)

I was pretty disappointed about losing Robinson, Lewis, Jennings, Holt, Boone... but I guess that's just life now. 
You will lose guys. Go replace.

#152 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,416 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:33 PM

Well you said, players not talents, so okay.... but they lost a lot of players to the portal after last year (Wiki says 31)

I was pretty disappointed about losing Robinson, Lewis, Jennings, Boone... but I guess that's just life now. 
You will lose guys. Go replace.

I did say top players. Most of the guys they lost after last season were not impact players, but several were. Obviously guys will leave, that's inevitable. Guys like Hemby and Barham (just to name two) are potentially crucial players next season. MD can't recruit well enough to constantly have to replace that caliber of player. Can't let them get away, even though bigger programs will probably be sniffing and offering NIL (and believe me, it happens, even though t's not supposed to). 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#153 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:35 PM

I did say top players. Most of the guys they lost after last season were not impact players, but several were. Obviously guys will leave, that's inevitable. Guys like Hemby and Barham (just to name two) are potentially crucial players next season. MD can't recruit well enough to constantly have to replace that caliber of player. Can't let them get away, even though bigger programs will probably be sniffing and offering NIL (and believe me, it happens, even though t's not supposed to). 

Yep, absolutely.  

MD definitely not in a position to lose their top talents, and just be able to reload automatically. 

Gotta keep what you have, and find ways to add.

#154 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,416 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:40 PM

In a slightly cryptic IG story Rakim Jarrett appears to indicate he won't be back. Whether that's to go pro or transfer, or if he'll play in the bowl game, is anyone's guess.

#155 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:23 PM

In a slightly cryptic IG story Rakim Jarrett appears to indicate he won't be back. Whether that's to go pro or transfer, or if he'll play in the bowl game, is anyone's guess.

No surprise there. Taulia, Spencer Anderson, and Jeshaun Jones are the biggest ones to watch as far as coming back. Last I heard they’re all leaning towards returning.
@BSLZackKiesel

#156 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:52 PM

Yeah bottom line is, looking forward to the next season is no longer all that interesting in football with the transfer portal.  As Lockley says, the portal giveth and the portal taketh away.  Next year's roster will have some good additions and tough subtractions that we have no way of knowing about right now.

All-in-all it was a respectable season.  The Purdue loss stings - I think MD was the better team that day and I do believe some bad officiating cost us that one.  The Penn State game was unacceptable but they rebounded nicely from that one.  Wisconsin showed they're a bit soft, not sure that will change under Locksley.  

#157 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,975 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 10:26 PM

IMO the concern isnt about the need to take steps forward but fearful that we will take steps back. Youve had 3 years, maybe 4 next year, of the best QB play you can expect to have at MD. Its not great QB play  but its good and its better than MD has had in a long time or should expect to have most years. I have no faith Locksley can maintain winning 7 or 8 wins a year. Let alone taking a step forward.

#158 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2022 - 11:05 PM

With today's win, Locksley's contract automatically triggered a one-year extension through 2027. To me, the job he's done to rebuild the program's culture after the 2018 tragedy is nothing short of remarkable. He's talked a lot about raising standards, and it starts with becoming a consistent bowl participant. He still has steps to take, and it's yet to be seen whether or not they can get there. He has his work cut out for him with the talent set to graduate from the roster next season, but this is his chance to prove he can take them to the next level. He'll be here for at least 3-4 more years, and we'll know a lot more about him as a coach and as a program builder by then.

@BSLZackKiesel

#159 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:32 AM

I feel like there were a lot of teams who found solid production at QB in the transfer portal ths year (Bo Nix/Oregon, Michael Penix/Washington off the top of my head) where I'd like to think Maryland could replace Taulia externally and hopefully not fall off very much

she/her

#160 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:53 AM

I’m a Billy Edwards fan myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users