#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:11 PM

Friday News Dump, College Park Style:

MD is also hiring Gunter Brewer as WR coach, per Matt Zenitz. He was last in the same position at Louisville.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#42 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:32 PM

Chris Low is reporting Kevin Steele is going to be hired as the Terps new DC. If true, that's a pretty major move, and upgrade IMO. Steele has been a DC at Alabama, LSU and most recently Auburn.

https://twitter.com/...191407697739776

Pete Thamel also reports LB coach Brawley Evans will not be retained, though current DC Brian Stewart will remain on staff as a defensive assistant.

That’s a massive move, and absolutely an upgrade. Also shows a much bigger investment in assistants for Locksley than we’ve seen in the past.

I believe Steele has typically run even-front defenses in the past, so it’ll be interesting to see if this is a shift schematically from the odd-front they’ve run the last three years.
@BSLZackKiesel

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:44 PM

That’s a massive move, and absolutely an upgrade. Also shows a much bigger investment in assistants for Locksley than we’ve seen in the past.

I believe Steele has typically run even-front defenses in the past, so it’ll be interesting to see if this is a shift schematically from the odd-front they’ve run the last three years.

I'll definitely be interested in seeing his contract details and if this represents a greater commitment to coaches salaries, or if they somehow just lured him on the cheap.

It seems like MD is like most defenses nowadays and run multiple fronts depending on the situation and personnel. But I imagine for official purposes, like the depth charts they release, it'll stay the same.

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:54 PM

Chris Low

Kevin Steele has long been one of the more respected defensive minds in the game and has worked for the best of the best. @CoachLocks knows what he's getting in a coach, but the late Bobby Bowden once told me about Steele, "he's as strong as anybody I've ever seen in recruiting."

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#45 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2022 - 07:46 PM

Here’s how Steele’s defenses ranked during his time at Auburn:

2016: #28
2017: #13
2018: #38
2019: #27
2020: #63

With the exception of 2020, Auburn was typically very good in the red zone. They allowed some of the fewest points of anyone in the country from 2016-2019.
@BSLZackKiesel

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 07:47 PM

Update on the defensive coaching situation. Brian Stewart, who coached safeties last season in addition to coordinating the defense, will still be a position coach. Reports also indicated he will be named associate head coach, presumably to have some sort of title commensurate with the salary he would have been set to make as DC.

I assume Steele will also coach linebackers, as he has in the past.

I also assume that Brian Williams will still hold the Co-DC title to justify the raise he got last year.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#47 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 January 2022 - 12:08 PM

Friday News Dump, College Park Style:

MD is also hiring Gunter Brewer as WR coach, per Matt Zenitz. He was last in the same position at Louisville.

Brewer was also the Philadelphia Eagles' WR coach in 2018, and coached Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, and Justin Blackmon in college. Maryland's elite corps of wideouts is in good hands.

@BSLZackKiesel

#48 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 06:08 PM

Chris Low is reporting Kevin Steele is going to be hired as the Terps new DC. If true, that's a pretty major move, and upgrade IMO. Steele has been a DC at Alabama, LSU and most recently Auburn.

https://twitter.com/...191407697739776

Pete Thamel also reports LB coach Brawley Evans will not be retained, though current DC Brian Stewart will remain on staff as a defensive assistant.

Well, this is deflating. Josh Gattis all over again.

Matt Zenitz

Miami is targeting Kevin Steele for its defensive coordinator job, sources tell @on3sports. Steele, who has been a defensive coordinator at places such as Auburn, LSU, Clemson and Alabama, had been set to take the DC job at Maryland.

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 06:11 PM

Maybe they can hire Brian Flores as DC. He sure won't be working in the NFL anytime soon.

#50 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:05 PM

What a mess. Yikes.
@BSLZackKiesel

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:07 PM

Its ridiculous. Take a job or don't take a job. If you commit, commit for the year at least.

#52 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:09 PM

Bruce Feldman

The Kevin Steele deal shows just how wild the CFB hiring process is. He’d verbally accepted the Maryland job last wk, started working Friday, & was recruiting for the Terps. This afternoon, while sitting in his office at Maryland, he told them that he was taking the Canes DC job.

#53 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:11 PM

Bruce Feldman

@BruceFeldmanCFB

The Kevin Steele deal shows just how wild the CFB hiring process is. He’d verbally accepted the Maryland job last wk, started working Friday, & was recruiting for the Terps. This afternoon, while sitting in his office at Maryland, he told them that he was taking the Canes DC job.

So even worse than Gattis. Hopefully they can do better than whoever Scottie Montgomery’s defensive equivalent is.
@BSLZackKiesel

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:57 PM

Bruce Feldman

I am not sure wild is the word.  Disgusting might fit better.  Screw Steele, his word meant nothing.  Move on and get a guy who has some integrity and wants to be at Maryland 

@mikeghg

#55 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:59 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Locksley promotes Williams to DC. The defense looked much better during the last two games when he took over play-calling duties, and it’s just a matter of time before he becomes a DC somewhere.
@BSLZackKiesel

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:25 PM

Hate to be Debbie Downer, and I certainly didn’t see this coming, but having someone with Kevin Steele’s resume on staff did have that too-good-to-be-true feel to it. I wonder if it was money or prestige that led him to bolt. I imagine it was probably both.

As for who should be next, I’d be all for bringing back Aazaar Abdul-Rahim. Obviously he can recruit the area well, but I think even better is his ability to develop the DBs, a unit I think took a step backward from 2020.

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:54 AM

If Locksley wants to go big like he did with Steele, he could take a swing at Jeremy Pruitt. They have history at Alabama and Pruitt is probably looking for work with the regime change with the Giants. After all, if they’re (maybe) willing to hire Pitino with his past, why not Pruitt, where he wouldn’t actually be in charge either?

(I don’t think he was ever hit with a show cause. If he was, that obviously rules him out)

Edit: Researched it and looks like the NCAA is still investigating what went down at Tenn, which means he still could get a show cause. Scratch Pruitt.

#58 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:56 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Locksley promotes Williams to DC. The defense looked much better during the last two games when he took over play-calling duties, and it’s just a matter of time before he becomes a DC somewhere.

Sounds like this is what’s happening, and Stewart may actually be gone.

EDIT: Confirmed that Stewart is no longer on the staff.

@BSLZackKiesel

#59 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 February 2022 - 01:06 PM

Gunter Brewer has officially been added to the staff as the Wide Receivers Coach/Passing Game Coordinator.

Tight Ends Coach Mike Miller has been promoted from Passing Game Coordinator to Co-Offensive Coordinator.

@BSLZackKiesel

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 01:13 PM

Sounds like this is what’s happening, and Stewart may actually be gone.

EDIT: Confirmed that Stewart is no longer on the staff.

Sweet... you lose the replacement, and Stewart. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=