• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:58 PM

The VergeNASA’S REVOLUTIONARY JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCHES TO SPACE

Space.com: Where is NASA's James Webb Space Telescope? Here's how to follow its progress.

https://www.space.co...oyment-tracking

Space.com:  James Webb Space Telescope: The scientific mysteries no other observatory could unravel

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:15 PM

It'll be a technical marvel, but it's also a shining example of how not to manage a project.  I guess it's only 14 years behind schedule and $9 Billion dollars over budget.   So not that bad.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:19 PM

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

It'll be a technical marvel, but it's also a shining example of how not to manage a project.  I guess it's only 14 years behind schedule and $9 Billion dollars over budget.   So not that bad.

What are the biggest factors that contributed to that? 

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

My brother-in-law is a flight controller for the project.  He's a real smart kid but new to both the industry and the project within the past year.  Within the last couple weeks they had to rapidly accelerate him to one of their launch test leads due to covid outbreaks reducing staffing.

Fortunately launch and early commissioning have gone very smoothly.  I'm not sure they'd have been able to rapidly handle many contingencies and they had a very early burn post-separation to get heading towards their L1 orbit.  And if there were problems that delayed the first big burn, they could eventually recover from that but the propellant cost would be much higher, meaning they'd have less remaining propellant for on-orbit stationkeeping, effectively reducing mission duration.

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:25 PM

What are the biggest factors that contributed to that? 

A significant portion of the delays and cost increases is a very simple increase in scope.  It got bigger and more complex than originally proposed, all changes that are beneficial to the end product being more useful.  So that's not really a problem or a mistake, they just decided to go bigger and badder.  

But even after that, they're still way late and way over budget.  I'm not on the systems side of things so couldn't give a really specific and intelligent answer.  I'd guess that a big part is because of the size of the project, there are many different subcontractors and different corporations and institutions involved in building all the instrumentation and the bus.  The more outside entities you rely on for a project, the more delays and cost overruns creep in.  It basically reached "too big to fail" status.  A smaller project would've been canceled along the way, but they had committed so much to this one that each time they needed just a little bit more, Congress basically had to say yes.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:20 AM

Gizmodo: Webb Space Telescope’s Mirrors Are Fully Deployed

https://gizmodo.com/...oyed-1848392237

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 10:53 AM

The VergeWHAT’S NEXT FOR NASA’S JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE NOW THAT IT’S REACHED ITS PARKING SPOT

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 02:36 PM

Balt Magazine: Baltimore Scientists Unveil the Universe with the James Webb Space Telescope

https://www.baltimor...7cdalIjXf9zxiPk

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:31 PM

Space.com: Biden unveils James Webb Space Telescope's ultradeep view of the universe

https://www.space.co...rst-photo-biden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=