256 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 11:50 AM

Go for 2 every single time. Never settle for a punt or FG. Always onside kick. Getting that win probability up by 2% with 40+ minutes left to play is extremely important when you are playing a far superior opponent. Johnson is good enough to play 60 minutes. And 60 minutes only! No OT ever!

Am I doing this right?

Nope! :)

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 11:58 AM

I think Huntley to Johnson moves the line more than Jackson to Huntley.  Huntley is younger than Johnson, has been with the team for two years, knows all the plays, has practiced with the team, has the same skill set as Jackson and has executed the offense in pre-season.  Johnson is 35 years old, hasn't even been able to stick with a team even as a backup, and has only had 10 days to even get familiar with the offense.  He hasn't even had enough time to practice much with the first team receivers.

I'm not saying it's impossible for the Ravens to win the game or even for Johnson to put up good numbers.   New England won a game throwing only 3 passes earlier this year.  But I think the drop off from Jackson/Huntley to Johnson is much greater than the drop off from Jackson to Huntley if for no other reason than the experience with the team's offense.  Quite honestly I think McSorely would have been less of a drop than what it is to Johnson.    

Guess I'm more pumping up Lamar than bashing on Huntley, but I'll reiterate my disagreement with this.  None of the factors you describe are wrong, and we're just guessing really, so I can't and won't say your conclusion isn't correct.  I think the line in my mind (not necessarily the actual Vegas line) went down 6 or 7 points going from a healthy version of Lamar to Huntley (it was more for earlier games, like 9 points, Huntley reduced the drop off a bit with his positive performances vs Cleveland and even moreso against GB).  Going Huntley to Johnson only is another 3 or 4.  

Johnson isn't the guy that Washington had to start last week.  If things go well, he can make the throws.

Long shot for the Ravens, for sure.  But I'm not as pessimistic as I was last week or against Chicago the first time Lamar was out.

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:31 PM

Who is the backup if Johnson goes down?

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:33 PM

Koch, right?

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:39 PM

Something called Kenji Bahar. I’ve watched a lot of college football over the years, and can’t say as I ever heard of him.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#46 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:44 PM

Guess I'm more pumping up Lamar than bashing on Huntley, but I'll reiterate my disagreement with this.  None of the factors you describe are wrong, and we're just guessing really, so I can't and won't say your conclusion isn't correct.  I think the line in my mind (not necessarily the actual Vegas line) went down 6 or 7 points going from a healthy version of Lamar to Huntley (it was more for earlier games, like 9 points, Huntley reduced the drop off a bit with his positive performances vs Cleveland and even moreso against GB).  Going Huntley to Johnson only is another 3 or 4.  

Johnson isn't the guy that Washington had to start last week.  If things go well, he can make the throws.

Long shot for the Ravens, for sure.  But I'm not as pessimistic as I was last week or against Chicago the first time Lamar was out.

Yeah, I guess we will just have to disagree on this.  The Vegas line with Lamar Jackson is probably a pick, maybe Cincy  -1.  It opened at Cincy -2 1/2 not knowing if it was going to be Jackson or Huntley.  It dropped to -3 as the week went on without Jackson practicing.  Yesterday after it was announced that Johnson was starting it dropped all the way to 7.  Vegas hates doing that because it now opens up the possibility that they get middled.  If the game ends up a 4-6 point Cincy win everyone that took Cincy at -2 1/2 or 3 wins and now anyone taking the Ravens +7 wins as well.  

Obviously the best option for the Ravens is a healthy Lamar Jackson, but Huntley executed the offense nearly as well as Jackson in his three opportunities so he was a pretty good second option.  Johnson is a complete unknown and Vegas knows that nobody is going to put money on the Ravens at +3 with Josh Johnson at QB.  But who knows.  Maybe Johnson can channel his inner Ryan Mallet today!

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#47 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:50 PM

Something called Kenji Bahar. I’ve watched a lot of college football over the years, and can’t say as I ever heard of him.

He actually played high school football here at Calvert Hall. He went to a smaller college.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:52 PM

Ravens inactives: QB Lamar Jackson (ankle), FB Patrick Ricard (knee), WR/KR returner Devin Duvernay (ankle), LG Ben Powers (toe), RT Tyre Phillips (knee), OLB Daelin Hayes.

COVID: Huntley, Oliver, Madubuike, Board, Welch, Houston, McPhee, Westry, Smith, Stone

IR: Stanley, Humphrey, Peters, Eliott, Washington, Marshall, Dorsey, Dobbins, Edwards, Hill, Wolfe, Fort, Alaka, Crawford, Kelly

10 guys Promoted from the PS... 

That's just wow. 

#49 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

I think he went to Monmouth college.  I do know he is a Calvert Hall graduate.  That's my alma mater.  I believe if he gets in the game and throws a pass he will become the first Calvert Hall QB to ever throw a pass in the NFL.

Imagine being told back in July that the division title will be on the line against Cincinnati the day after Christmas and your backfield will consist of Josh Johnson at QB backed up by Kenji Bahar, with starting RBs Devonta Feeman and Latavious Murray.  Yikes!

#50 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

He actually played high school football here at Calvert Hall. He went to a smaller college.

He was also in camp and I think played in a preseason game, so at least he has some idea of the playbook etc.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:53 PM

Monmouth. Cool for him to be activated for his hometown team.

https://monmouthhawk...enji-bahar/9271

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:54 PM

Boo.  Let Koch be QB!  If we're gonna lose at least make it fascinating.

#53 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:56 PM

The football Gods have really crapped on the 2021 Baltimore Ravens.

Kinda. More wounds have been self inflicted though.
@BSLMikeRandall

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:59 PM

I think he went to Monmouth college.  I do know he is a Calvert Hall graduate.  That's my alma mater.  I believe if he gets in the game and throws a pass he will become the first Calvert Hall QB to ever throw a pass in the NFL.

Imagine being told back in July that the division title will be on the line against Cincinnati the day after Christmas and your backfield will consist of Josh Johnson at QB backed up by Kenji Bahar, with starting RBs Devonta Feeman and Latavious Murray.  Yikes!

Never knew they even played football at Monmouth. Thought they were strictly one of those Terps early season basketball patsies Turgeon loved to schedule to pad his record.

I hope the kid gets to play. This game is no longer about winning, so just make it interesting. Even if he throws 3 picks, a small school kid slinging it for his hometown team would do.

Unfortunately I’m stuck with NE/BUF on local TV here, which I have no desire to watch, so I’ll have to just score check online from time to time.

#55 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:03 PM

Honestly, if you take the box score from today's game, strip off the Ravens logo, etc..  and showed me this box score in a time machine one year ago, my reaction would probably be:  "When did we trade Marquise Brown to the Jets"  Crazy.  Go Ravens! 

#56 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:07 PM

Why are the Bengals kicking? Those idiots.
@BSLMikeRandall

#57 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:08 PM

Why are the Bengals kicking? Those idiots.

I know!

Right?
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#58 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:08 PM

You would think there is no way you can lose this challenge.  It's as simple as counting the defenders at the time of the snap.

#59 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:09 PM

When you hear "just called up from the practice squad" about your defense more than once on the opening drive...

#60 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:10 PM

Concept of taking the three points.  Must be some new trend in the NFL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=