#1121 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 September 2022 - 11:07 PM

It was split amongst two guys, but the Rams had nearly $45M in cap space or 24.5% of the cap dedicated to the QB position last season.  So its been done

Not really responding to you specifically here, more in general, but I really dislike the idea of only looking at the teams to actually win the Super Bowl as being the models that need to be followed for building a team.  Sure, that's the ultimate goal, but any of 3-6 teams any given year are right there at the end and built for winning even if they don't win.  Were the Bills, Bengals, or Bucs not capable of winning it all last year with however their rosters were built?  I don't know how many further examples there are of teams with 20% or more of their cap spent on a QB that were Super Bowl quality, its probably kind of a moving target, but that's the type of team I want to build with the Ravens.  Be in that top group of a handful or so of teams that have a legit chance as often as possible.  I don't care about specifically emulating whichever team actually won it all.

Do you think the goal post should be the conference championship?  Making it to the super bowl?

#1122 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:28 AM

Do you think the goal post should be the conference championship? Making it to the super bowl?

I think it depends on the player. If Lamar plays like an MVP in the divisional round game but the defense gives up 49 points in a loss, that shouldn’t count against the QB.
  • weird-O likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1123 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:15 AM

How would you fix it?  I think the illegal contact rule should be 7 yards from the LOS instead of 5.

Start with what's been changed over the past couple decades.  With the way the game has changed from college on up, there would still be plenty of passing.

#1124 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:18 AM

It was split amongst two guys, but the Rams had nearly $45M in cap space or 24.5% of the cap dedicated to the QB position last season.  So its been done

Not really responding to you specifically here, more in general, but I really dislike the idea of only looking at the teams to actually win the Super Bowl as being the models that need to be followed for building a team.  Sure, that's the ultimate goal, but any of 3-6 teams any given year are right there at the end and built for winning even if they don't win.  Were the Bills, Bengals, or Bucs not capable of winning it all last year with however their rosters were built?  I don't know how many further examples there are of teams with 20% or more of their cap spent on a QB that were Super Bowl quality, its probably kind of a moving target, but that's the type of team I want to build with the Ravens.  Be in that top group of a handful or so of teams that have a legit chance as often as possible.  I don't care about specifically emulating whichever team actually won it all.

Hope your right.

#1125 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:12 AM

Start with what's been changed over the past couple decades. With the way the game has changed from college on up, there would still be plenty of passing.

Are you talking about qb protection rules? I'm not really a fan of removing safety protections. The illegal contact rule (and its subsequent "point of emphasis") is the start of the current passing era IMO.

#1126 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:02 AM

Are you talking about qb protection rules? I'm not really a fan of removing safety protections. The illegal contact rule (and its subsequent "point of emphasis") is the start of the current passing era IMO.

Most of the protection rules are fine although the way they are sometimes applied are questionable.  The contact rule and certainly the emphasis on defensive holding seem to be the problem.

I doubt anything gets changed because the league wants games like the Bills/Chiefs playoff.

#1127 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:17 AM

Do you think the goal post should be the conference championship?  Making it to the super bowl?

I don't have any specific criteria like that, more like a feel.  Certainly a team that reaches the Conference Championship of Super Bowl would likely count, but I wouldn't limit it to that.  For example the Packers have been good enough to win it all a few times in recent memory and then went and dropped their first playoff game.  The 2019 Ravens were good enough but flopped in the playoffs.  With very few exceptions for key players or coaches, I don't really think there is any particularly type or style of team that is more or less likely to exceed or fall short of expectations in the playoffs. 

I'd like to head into every season at least as one of the 10 or so teams that wouldn't feel like a surprise to end up in the Super Bowl and fairly often as one of the handful or so of teams that people think are on the short-list.  I'd like to head into the playoffs as a team that wouldn't be a significant dog to anyone. 

#1128 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:27 AM

Personally I'm happy with a team that's in the SB convo every year. Obviously the goal of every team is a SB win, but realistically those are tough to come by. Anything can happen when you make the playoffs and there are multiple ways to get there with a little luck. That can be done with 20-25% of your cap going to the most important position on the field. 

• Mackus likes this

#1129 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:05 PM

I don't have any specific criteria like that, more like a feel. Certainly a team that reaches the Conference Championship of Super Bowl would likely count, but I wouldn't limit it to that. For example the Packers have been good enough to win it all a few times in recent memory and then went and dropped their first playoff game. The 2019 Ravens were good enough but flopped in the playoffs. With very few exceptions for key players or coaches, I don't really think there is any particularly type or style of team that is more or less likely to exceed or fall short of expectations in the playoffs.

I'd like to head into every season at least as one of the 10 or so teams that wouldn't feel like a surprise to end up in the Super Bowl and fairly often as one of the handful or so of teams that people think are on the short-list. I'd like to head into the playoffs as a team that wouldn't be a significant dog to anyone.

Do you think the Ravens/Lamar just choked in 2019/2020? And their playoff failures shouldn't be overthought?

You would be in the very small minority of people that think that way. Not that I disagree, I generally think people are making too much of playoff losses.

#1130 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:16 PM

Do you think the Ravens/Lamar just choked in 2019/2020? And their playoff failures shouldn't be overthought?

You would be in the very small minority of people that think that way. Not that I disagree, I generally think people are making too much of playoff losses.

Yes, that was a championship capable team that didn't show up that day.

And I've got few enough concerns that Lamar is the type of guy that will struggle with playoff pressure that I'm still more than willing to give him the type of contract it would take to sign him.

#1131 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:13 PM

Most of the protection rules are fine although the way they are sometimes applied are questionable. The contact rule and certainly the emphasis on defensive holding seem to be the problem.

I doubt anything gets changed because the league wants games like the Bills/Chiefs playoff.

One thought I had was to eliminate both PI and illegal contact penalties for the first 2 or 3 seconds of a play. This would make it harder for the offense to execute quick timing passes and it would give defenders more flexibility to jam a little bit down field on longer routes.

#1132 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:08 AM

Outside of a few teams(Ravens obviously being one of them), defense around the league has been solid so far.  Who knows how long it will last but for the most part, offenses aren't running wild.  I could be wrong but it seems like they're not throwing as many personal foul flags on defenses.  If that is in fact true, I think its wonderful because it was really starting to get out of hand over the last several years. Player safety is one thing but they were throwing flags if they looked at someone the wrong way. 

#1133 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:22 AM

Outside of a few teams(Ravens obviously being one of them), defense around the league has been solid so far. Who knows how long it will last but for the most part, offenses aren't running wild. I could be wrong but it seems like they're not throwing as many personal foul flags on defenses. If that is in fact true, I think its wonderful because it was really starting to get out of hand over the last several years. Player safety is one thing but they were throwing flags
if they looked at someone the wrong way.

They made a clarification this year saying that helmet contact and contact below the knee had to be "forcible." So in theory that means you shouldn't be getting an illegal contact penalty for incidental contact below the knee, or for touching the air generally around the helmet like you would last year.

#1134 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 01:33 AM

https://twitter.com/...fxdOy5qYjQ&s=19

I'm sorry. Considering he wants the largest fully guaranteed deal of all time and refuses to sign anything less, this tweet is really funny to me. :)

#1135 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 October 2022 - 01:35 PM

I'm sorry. Considering he wants the largest fully guaranteed deal of all time and refuses to sign anything less, this tweet is really funny to me. :)

That's right up there with Josh Hamilton explaining to the public that he signed with the Angels, because Jesus told him that's where he needed to go. Coincidentally, the Angels offered him far more money than anyone else, so add one hell of an accountant to Jesus's resume. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1136 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 01:36 PM

That's right up there with Josh Hamilton explaining to the public that he signed with the Angels, because Jesus told him that's where he needed to go. Coincidentally, the Angels offered him far more money than anyone else, so add one hell of an accountant to Jesus's resume.

Hahahaha!

#1137 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,443 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 03:15 PM

Jesus loves money, too.
  • weird-O likes this

#1138 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 04:37 PM

Jesus loves money, too.

Or as George Carlin once said about God, "he loves us and he needs.....Money!"
  • weird-O likes this

#1139 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,821 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:55 PM

This was so important you had to post at 2:30 AM. But not a hater. How is your boy Kyler doing?

#1140 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 06:10 PM

This was so important you had to post at 2:30 AM. But not a hater. How is your boy Kyler doing?

My boy Kyler?

What are you referring to?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=