5723 replies to this topic

#5281 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:16 PM

Lamar won't sit out two full years. He'll sit out one year, maybe, but not both. I'm not letting him walk because he throws a tantrum. You're the only one who wants to do that because Lamar is your baby boy.

Ive said a thousand times over you tag him and try to figure it out but I also aint putting any of the Ravens cap space situation or what they have or havent been able to do on Lamar. Especially since the Ravens have known how dug in and unrealistic Lamar has been in negotiations. He could always choose to sit out the year. Thats the end game for all of this if it gets to that point. He holds the last card to play. The Ravens have to know who holds the final card.

And lets make it clear. Lamar sitting out a year def hurts him but it also hurts any return for the Ravens on a trade. Again, they have each other by the balls.

#5282 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:20 PM

The Ravens made an offer... Jackson said no.

Jackson decided against negotiating during the season.

Jackson then went and had a '22 season that shouldn't have compelled the Ravens to offer more.

A deal wasn't found, and then Jackson gained the ability to go and see how other teams valued him.

And to-date, the other teams are saying that giving up the picks + the contract he wants is too much.

You are comfortable with the Ravens increasing their offer, to get something done.

I understand that pov, because you believe the Ravens have to him / an elite QB to be a SB contender.

But for those of us who feel there are other ways to build a team, it doesn't sound like a great idea to give Jackson more than you previously offered.. when his '22 play didn't warrant it, and now you aren't seeing other teams running after him.

I think Jackson was willing to do a deal here. Don't think he had intentions of leaving.
But you've now got to a point where he mentally wants to move on.
When that line has been met, I think it's in the best interest of all parties to have change.

Really hope a few teams make clear they want him.

Good post.

Why should the Ravens up their offer when they have allowed other teams to set Lamar's market? Besides, it seems that from Lamar's perspective, the relationship is broken.

Like you stated, it's probably best to move on.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5283 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:21 PM

I'm so over this whole situation.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#5284 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:22 PM

You are an idiot. Ive said a thousand times over you tag him and try to figure it out but I also aint putting any of the Ravens cap space situation or what they have or havent been able to do on Lamar. Especially since the Ravens have known how dug in and unrealistic Lamar has been in negotiations. He could always choose to sit out the year. Thats the end game for all of this if it gets to that point. He holds the last card to play. The Ravens have to know who holds the final card.

And lets make it clear. Lamar sitting out a year def hurts him but it also hurts any return for the Ravens on a trade. Again, they have each other by the balls.

That's fine. Maybe it will hurt their return a bit, but any return they get will still be far better than a compensatory pick. I'm also for damn sure not sending the message to other players that if they just whine and cry enough, they'll be released without question.

The Ravens are ready to pay Lamar Jackson 32 million to play football for one year, and he is going to sit out about it. 32 million is more than any of us will ever see in our lifetimes, and we're feeling bad for this guy? Give me a break. Lamar made his bed, and if he wants to sit out the year and sulk, let him. Every year he does that makes it even less likely that he's going to get a contract that even sniffs what he's requesting now.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#5285 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

How are you guys this thick. If he is that selfish and that hard up about guaranteed money and his asking price is so far off than his value then who is he going to sign with? He has to sign the tag to play. He has to sign the tag to be traded. He can refuse to do that and continue to hold up what the Ravens can do. But thats not on Lamar. The Ravens have an option thats lets them out from under Lamar. They still have that option. So how is it Lamars fault that the Ravens choose not to do that.

I understand what you're saying. You're saying let him walk and get no compensation for him. I don't share your opinion that making that choice is the best course of action. Look at that, I was able to respond to you without insulting you. 

• makoman likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5286 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

That spiteful scenario would hamstring the Ravens, which is why that would never be the motivation behind things. But it shouldn't be glossed over that his decision to sit out is an unacceptable business choice on his part. If I'm following along correctly, he can sit out until week 10 (or after week 10, however it was phrased) then report to the team, and the 2023 season would count as if he was with the team all season. This would allow him to move on to free agency, or be tagged again.

If he goes down that path, you can't play him in week 11 or the remainder of the season. It's a slap in the face of the QB in weeks 1-10, and the rest of the team as well.

Whether he joins late or sits ut the whole season he is a year closer to UFA with no tag. Either way he holds the final card. And Id be fine saying hes torpedoing or sabotaging the Ravens if there was nothing the Ravens could do to counter his unwillingness to sign a contract. But there is. They could and still can let him walk. What makes you or anyone think hes gonna be reasonable all of a sudden when thats what youve been bashing him for the last god knows how many months.

#5287 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:24 PM

How are you guys this thick. If he is that selfish and that hard up about guaranteed money and his asking price is so far off than his value then who is he going to sign with? He has to sign the tag to play. He has to sign the tag to be traded. He can refuse to do that and continue to hold up what the Ravens can do. But thats not on Lamar. The Ravens have an option thats lets them out from under Lamar. They still have that option. So how is it Lamars fault that the Ravens choose not to do that.

How would Lamar refusing to sign the tag not be on him and be the Ravens fault? I'm trying to understand your perspective here.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5288 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

Whether he joins late or sits ut the whole season he is a year closer to UFA with no tag. Either way he holds the final card. And Id be fine saying hes torpedoing or sabotaging the Ravens if there was nothing the Ravens could do to counter his unwillingness to sign a contract. But there is. They could and still can let him walk. What makes you or anyone think hes gonna be reasonable all of a sudden when thats what youve been bashing him for the last god knows how many months.

Do you... 

1) Going back to last August / September, do you think the Ravens should have offered more than they did?

2) Think when the '22 season ended, that the Ravens should have increased their offer?

3) When a deal wasn't reached before Jackson had to be franchised... think the Ravens should or should not have Franchised Jackson?

4) Did you have a problem with him getting the Non-Exclusive tag?

And am I right that you currently think that: 

5) Jackson will play on the tag.

6) An extension with the Ravens is more likely than not?

7) That if a deal wasn't reached by the time the Ravens had to Franchise him, the Ravens should have not done that, and just moved on?

• BSLJamieSieck likes this

#5289 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

I understand what you're saying. You're saying let him walk and get no compensation for him. I don't share your opinion that making that choice is the best course of action. Look at that, I was able to respond to you without insulting you.

Of course its not the best course if you get him to sign or accept an offer from someone. But you guys are the ones telling me his demands are so far off from what he is worth.That hes selfsish, dillusional and dug in. It comes to a point where if you believe you are the rational person trying to deal with an irrational person that you walk away. Or you know, dont walk away and blame the irrational dillusional guy for your issues.

#5290 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:34 PM

You're confusing me with someone else. I am not, and have not, been bashing Lamar. As for his motivation to play, it's simple. If he goes the selfish route, he alienates some potential teams that would otherwise have been interested in signing him. He also loses a year of football. You can practice 365 days a year, and you'll still never maintain game ready football condition. And as a bonus prize, he gets tagged again. It's possible that the Ravens will pull the offer and let him walk. And if that happens, I'll accept that they did everything they could do to resolve the issue in the most mutually beneficial way. 

Otherwise, for your own clarification, I share Baltimore Ken's general rule of thumb. You can ignore most of what you hear/read about these things.  

#5291 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:37 PM

How would Lamar refusing to sign the tag not be on him and be the Ravens fault? I'm trying to understand your perspective here.

Its not on him that the Ravens have no cap space or have little ability to make other moves. Again, the Ravens had and continue to have an option that gets them out from under Lamar. They can choose to move on and get on with their business. They can do that today by recinding the tag. Thats the nuclear option here but it is an option when it comes to the Ravens and how to handle Ravens business going forward. You cant blame the selfish,irrational,dillusional man for your issues when there was and is a way to be done with him.

#5292 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:41 PM

Its not on him that the Ravens have no cap space or have little ability to make other moves. Again, the Ravens had and continue to have an option that gets them out from under Lamar. They can choose to move on and get on with their business. They can do that today by recinding the tag. Thats the nuclear option here but it is an option when it comes to the Ravens and how to handle Ravens business going forward. You cant blame the selfish,irrational,dillusional man for your issues when there was and is a way to be done with him.

I hope they do at some point.  Its obvious he doesn't want to be here and will not report on the tag.  Why prolong the inevitable? 

#5293 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:44 PM

But he's requested to be traded. Not requested to be released. The Ravens are to this point, are honoring his request. Lamar just has to sign the tag and they can do that. It's not hard. 

• russsnyder likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#5294 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:45 PM

I hope they do at some point.  Its obvious he doesn't want to be here and will not report on the tag.  Why prolong the inevitable? 

If he never reports you don't pay him and you get the cap space back. So why let him become a free agent for nothing?

• BSLJamieSieck likes this

#5295 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:45 PM

Of course its not the best course if you get him to sign or accept an offer from someone. But you guys are the ones telling me his demands are so far off from what he is worth.That hes selfsish, dillusional and dug in. It comes to a point where if you believe you are the rational person trying to deal with an irrational person that you walk away. Or you know, dont walk away and blame the irrational dillusional guy for your issues.

Again, you're thinking of someone else. I don't know what his demands are. At best (as of this moment), I would say he is asking for 5/$230 and he wants $200 guaranteed. That's me making a guess based on things that seem to be the most probable factors. If you have read any of my posts, you would know that I haven't been calling him selfish. What I've said is, if he makes decision A, or choice X, that would be a selfish decision or choice. And those comments are only from today, since I heard that he requested a trade. Which is an important distinction from demanding a trade. I think Slidemaster used the word delusional and the term "dug in". I'm friends with Slide, and I often share his opinions. But we don't live together in groupthink land. So be mindful about who you attribute comments to.      

#5296 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:48 PM

Do you...

1) Going back to last August / September, do you think the Ravens should have offered more than they did?
2) Think when the '22 season ended, that the Ravens should have increased their offer?
3) When a deal wasn't reached before Jackson had to be franchised... think the Ravens should or should not have Franchised Jackson?
4) Did you have a problem with him getting the Non-Exclusive tag?

And am I right that you currently think that:

5) Jackson will play on the tag.
6) An extension with the Ravens is more likely than not?
7) That if a deal wasn't reached by the time the Ravens had to Franchise him, the Ravens should have not done that, and just moved on?

I think two sides are stuck in their ways and each have leverage in their own ways and arent ready to budge. My only issue is bashing Lamar and blaming him for the current and future issues the team has when there is an out. Im not saying they shouldve chose that option or should chose it now. But Lamar has to sign a contract with someone ultimately in the next two years for us to get compensation better than a 3rd rounder. If its about the money and hes dug in then where is he gonna get that deal??

I have no idea what happens. My best guess would be he plays on the tag in '23. Beyond that I dont know. As far as a trade goes or even an offer sheet. Its not about the compensation part of it at this point. Its what deal is Lamar going to agree to sign. With any team.

#5297 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:52 PM

But he's requested to be traded. Not requested to be released. The Ravens are to this point, are honoring his request. Lamar just has to sign the tag and they can do that. It's not hard.

The Ravens accomodate those who want to be traded. Just ask Zeus Jr. and Hollywood. Seems like a viable solution to me.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5298 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:53 PM

Ive been told forever this is about greed and dillusion. That no one wants him for what he wants and he is too greedy, dumb and selfish to come to a huge but fair deal. Why is that going to be different for a new team. Ok, he signs the tag and the Ravens negotiate a trade. He still has to work out a deal. I dont know, maybe he will all of a sudden be less greedy and dillusional. Thats what you guys are betting on happening?

#5299 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:54 PM

Burrow. We will talk about what Burrow does. Get out of here with Hurts and Herbert. There are different levels to this game.

I'd put Herbert in with Burrow. And he was reportedly in talks for a 6/280 extension with 4 guaranteed years. So I don't think you should expect a discount on the basis of his deal.

#5300 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:55 PM

You seem really locked in on assigning blame. Add this to your equation. There is a system in place. In most situations, both parties adhere to the system. In the (as of now) made up scenario where Lamar sits out, rather than play under the tag, that is his decision to try and work outside of the system that he, as a member of the Union, agreed to abide, when he signed his rookie contract with the Ravens. 

How is that blame to be placed at the feet of the Ravens organization?    

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=